Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 11:37 AM

We will be crusiing the Norwegian Sun departing Miami on march 15, 2003. The last time we cruised was two years ago on the Carnival Victory. We had been told prior to this cruise not to pack booze in our "carry on" luggage as it would be confiscated. As such, we packed several liters into our checked luggage and had no problem what-so-ever. My question is; Since 9/11 much has changed! Should we not pack booze in the luggage we intend to check? Can we bring it in our carry on? Should we not bring it at all & purchase it onboard? HELP!
Old 01-31-2003, 11:37 AM

We will be crusiing the Norwegian Sun departing Miami on march 15, 2003. The last time we cruised was two years ago on the Carnival Victory. We had been told prior to this cruise not to pack booze in our "carry on" luggage as it would be confiscated. As such, we packed several liters into our checked luggage and had no problem what-so-ever. My question is; Since 9/11 much has changed! Should we not pack booze in the luggage we intend to check? Can we bring it in our carry on? Should we not bring it at all & purchase it onboard? HELP!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:35 PM

Many things have changed, and fairly recently. Seeing that you come from MN., you'll be flying, and that's what presents a problem. The airlines have weight limits, as well as size limits. You also CANNOT lock your luggage anymore, and if you do, bolt cutters will be taken to them. If you go over the weight and/or size limit, you could pay hundreds of dollars for the excess. You just have to figure is it worth it? For me, the answer is no, but that's up to you. Check with your airline to see what weight and size restrictions are, as they all differ a little. Have fun!
Old 02-23-2003, 08:02 PM

I just left a job in travel, and have some inside info for you: NCL is now going to x-ray your luggage! So if you're going to stash some hooch in your bags, you'd better find a way to disguise it, i.e. bottles other than the original one!

M.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vigilnt1:
I just left a job in travel, and have some inside info for you: NCL is now going to x-ray your luggage! So if you're going to stash some hooch in your bags, you'd better find a way to disguise it, i.e. bottles other than the original one!

M.

Thanks for the information. It's not that big of deal, but I find it hard to believe NCL will be x-raying our checked luggage for booze - how petty can you get. We had decided not to bring any on board with us, but now I'm on a mission. Do you think a plastic bottle, would show up as a booze bottle in an x-ray? Perhaps I should transfer the booze from it's original container to a plastic soft drink container. This is unbelieveable. Thanks again,

Steve
Old 02-25-2003, 07:06 AM

For some reason my first post did not work. Stevet they are xraying both carry on and sent through luggage on NCL and confiscating alcohol. They did this on the Norway when we were on over New Years.

You do get your alcohol back at the end of the cruise but they are checking and taking it. If you have it in luggage you send through they will notify you to come pick up your luggage and they will mark and take your alcohol. The carry on is all exrayed and the alcohol is taken right there.

I saw it done and I know people that had theirs taken. We do not drink so it was no problem for us personally. Our tablemates did have theirs taken.

Nice to see another Minnesotan on here.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:25 PM

Hey... we're on the Sun on 3/22... dont take all the sunshine with you when you leave the ship.

I've got some empty shampoo bottles (rinsed well and put through the dishwasher) that will be holding my beverages of choice. Just an idea.

P.S. I just love the fried tacos at Morgan's Mexican/Lebanese Deli on Robert... really, I do!
Old 04-16-2003, 10:28 AM

You need to get the facts straight. NCL does NOT x-ray your luggage. But the U.S. Coast Guard and the Port of Miami DO x-ray your luggage. In fact, if they do not x-ray it, they will not allow NCL to take it aboard.
When they x-ray, they look for all sorts of dangerous things inside. If they notice what appears to be alcohol, they inform NCL and hold your bags on the pier. You are later called out to the pier to open your bags and remove the alcohol.
If you are so poor that you cannot afford to buy alcohol onboard, you should sail from another port where they do not x-ray suitcases. I recommend Hawaii. Taking bottles in suitcases aboard the Norwegian Wind or Star in Honolulu is no problem.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:25 AM

Bruce,

Thanks for the clarification, apparently I had been provided with misinformation. If I was so "poor" as to not be able to afford to purchase alcohol on board, I wouldn't have taken the cruise to begin with! I'm sure many passengers (like myself) enjoy sitting out on their balcony's to enjoy a night cap, the fresh Caribbean air, moon & stars before turning in for the evening. Without, having to run up to a lounge, purchase a drink and carry back to their room -thus my motive. However, apparently whoever is checking the luggage isn't doing all that great of job as I packed a 1.5 liter bottle of Vodka - came through, no problem.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:05 AM

I think it is hilarious to find that there are many hundreds of people like us that take booze on board.
It is not being tight as one member said, but the rip off prices for booze especially wine, on board and in Hotels.
We like to have a drink in our cabin/hotel room before we go to dinner so always take spirits, local beer and wine to our cabin or room.We get some olives and nibbles and sit and enjoy a review of the day, then we go for a cocktail in the bar and then to dinner.We are going on Norwegian Sky from Seattle to Alaska and thought we would pack some booze in the main suitcase.Do you think it will be X rayed and confiscated. Ken Pollard

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohool, beer, caribbean, cruise, limitys, luggage, ncl, norwegian, ray, royal, ship, ships, show, taking, weight, xray