Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Kennyd50, fine to meet you at the cruise, will you join the roll call for this trip? There is only my name now in the list

Thank you for your offer to join you to cairo. We have been there already two years ago and will stay at Alexandria.

For the port Civitavecchia maybe we are interested to join you. I found a little ancient city, called Tarquinia, not so far from the port, maybe we will go there, we don't know so far.

In Athens we will go with the train too. Do you know more about the shortest way to the akropolis? Can we possibly start as a little group for the way?

In Turkey we will see Ephesos for sure, but we did'nt sign the ships tour until now. What do you think about it?

from Germany
Nedra1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-26-2008, 04:16 AM

medinaaa,

We´ll be on your Dec 21st cruise. We´re a couple from Germany with our 8yo DD.

We are mainly doing the shore excursions on our own. As we´ve been on the Gem this past May we´ve been to Malta, Rome and Naples. For Alexandria we´ve booked a one day tour with NCL as we don´t wanna go on a two day tour. We´re still thinking about Izmir. Ephesus is about an hour from Izmir. I haven´t found any information about taxis at port and how much they are. All private drivers I´ve found were much more expensive than the ships tour I was looking into ($59, Magnificent Ephesus). The downside on this tour is the visit to the carpet weaving factory (BTW, ain´t it funny that this visit is not mentioned when I´m checking the tour description via the German NCL website??).

As for Naples (http://www.porto.napoli.it/): With the Gem we docked at the main cruise terminal (the Jade was in port on the same day and she was a bit more to the right, I´d say about 5-10 min walking). If we´re docking at the main terminal (which is sort of a construction site). The ferry termininal (Molo Beverello) is located just to the left when you leave the terminal building. The ticket office of LN jet ferry (http://www.navlib.it/) is on the street side. The ferry we catched was the 8:35 am ferry. We also booked the return trip for 15:25. The single fare is 17 Euro. It takes about 50 min to get to Capri (http://www.capritourism.com/). We took the bus up to Anacapri (single fare 1.40 Euro). We went up to Monte Solaro with the chair lift but I don´t think this will be nice in December. We walked to the Villa Axel Munthe and did some shopping. Then we took the bus to Capri village and walked around there. The funicular took us down to the harbor again (also 1.40 Euro).

Malta is also easy to explore on your own. The bus system is pretty good. When you are leaving the ship to the right side and up to the street you won´t have any problems to see the bus stop. There were a lot of people waiting for the passengers directing you to the bus stop and selling the tickets. The trip up to the main square where all other lines depart is 1 Euro (roundtrip). A day ticket is 3.50 Euro. But as an example a single ticket to Rabat/Mdina was 0.47 Euro so you have to use the busses quite frequently to get up to 3.50 Euros for the day ticket.

I´ve written a long review about our trip on the Gem but it´s in German and on another website which I´m not allowed to link to (it´s another German cruise message board).

TomB, Nedra1 or KennyD50,

if you got any chance to check whether tours to Ephesus are available at Izmir (taxi or tour operators waiting for cruise passengers at port) please post a note on this thread after your return.

Carmen

SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN
This Historic Landmark needs your help!
Find out what you can do at
www.save-the-delta-queen.org
Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM

For the November 30th cruise here is some info: For Cairo: Suneastours.com has a nice two day tour with a overnight stay in Cairo for $195 USD. It includes a free camel ride around the Pyramids and a sail boat ride on the Nile. It also includes the sound and light show at the Pyramids at night. We are also going to the Cairo Museum and the Citadal. The following day we tour Alexandria. We will have our own van with both a driver and guide. This tour includes the price of admission to everything, but does not include any meals. We are staying in a 4 star hotel in Cairo also included in the tour.

We booked the Jeep tour in Malta because it looked fun. We have been to Malta before and we were looking for some fun. In Rome we are off to Orvieto for a light day of touring and wine tasting. We have a car and driver for $480 USD for 6 people.

Tom, we will take the Metro into Athens and there is a stop at the Acropolis. There is a free dock shuttle that goes to all the cruise docks and makes a stop at the Metro.

Not sure how to sign up on the roll call. If anyone wants to meet up on the ship, we would be glad to meet you. My name is Ken Dorrance. We have traveled to Germany extensively, Berlin, Frankfurt, Bavaria region including Munich. Loved Munich.
Loved the beer. kennyd50
Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator

all!

Now that you've all found each other, it's easy to start a roll call. Our NCL roll call board is located here. Just be sure to put the ship name and sail date in the subject line.

Kenny, Nedra, or TomB - one of you can start a thread for the November 30 cruise.

medinaaa or fneumeier - one of you can do the same for December 21.

And, welcome to cruise-chat!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 AM

Ken,

the Metro in Athens is 0.80 Euro for a single ticket. So a day pass is only worth the money when you do more than 2 trips.

BTW, I´m living in Munich ! (but I don´t like beer)

Carmen

SAVE THE DELTA QUEEN
This Historic Landmark needs your help!
Find out what you can do at
www.save-the-delta-queen.org
Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 AM

Hi all,

We are on the same cruise - Mediterranean, starting on December 21. We are also looking to book excursions on our own, not through NCL, as the reviews were somewhat discouraging. It'd be nice to connect with you to find better ways to see the ports.

Looking forward,
m
Old 12-07-2008, 04:17 AM

We just returned from 12 days Eastern Med cruise with Norwegian Jade. It was a FABULOUS trip. We tend toward doing most of the ports ourselves, and hiring private guides if necessary because we enjoy researching the ports and like the flexibility and efficiency of a private tour (we have found it to be cheaper than the ship’s tours as well).

We used several local tour operators. Hope the information below would be useful for you.

Rome/Civitavecchia. After much consideration, we decided to book a private full day tour in Rome visiting some of the familiar places and including a few new ones. After researching companies to use, we decided on LimoinRome - Claudio Caponera (www.limoinrome.com) as our driver/guide for the day. We shared this tour with 3 couples from our roll call. Our itinerary included The Roman Forum, Coliseum, Mouth of Truth, Circus Maximums, the Key Hole (Sov Mil Ordine Di Malta), Palatine Hill, Baths of Caracalla, The Catacombs, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Capitol Hill, and Gianicolo (great views of Rome from this spot) and Borghese Gallery. Claudio arranged for our lunch stop at Ristorante Massenzio. Good meal. If we could have eliminated one thing in the itinerary it would, in our opinion, have been the Borghese Gallery. After a full day of sightseeing, I for one was on "information overload". I would suggest that the Borghese Gallery be done by itself or perhaps along with a walk through the garden areas.

Athens. We hired a taxi driver from Spiros at spirostours@yahoo.com for the day (8:30-2:00) Spriros at spirostours@yahoo.com . This ended up being a boon – it costs 25 euro each way from Piraeus on the meter anyway, and saved us hundreds of steps in the heat. He parked at the back side of the Acropolis (it is not necessary to climb the hundreds of steps from the Plaka) and waited for us, then took us to the old Olympic stadium (actually pretty impressive), the Temple of Zeus, to the President’s house in time for the changing of the guard (actually worth the stop), the Parliament building, the Roman Agora, and then the Greek Agora and Plaka. We zipped through it all – again because we got out early I think, and were driving instead of walking – and were back on board by 2, exhausted.

Ephesus. We hired a private tour guide for this port -- Denizhan at ephesustours@yahoo.com . We combined with another family I met on our Roll Call. I join the list of Cruise Critic people that highly recommend him. He was knowledgeable, personable, proud of his country, and completely professional. We started early and were through most of Ephesus by the time the first tour bus arrived. Since it reached 105 degrees that day, we were EXTREMELY grateful to have gotten to see it before the hottest part of the day. Be sure to also see the ruins of St. John’s Basilica. Denizhan also took us inside a local and historic mosque and explained a lot about ***** and Turkish politics. Lunch was the best of the trip. We also visited the museum in Selcuk, which was fine, although it is hard to compete with the Vatican, the Egyptian Museum, and others on this trip. Definitely try apple tea if you can – hot or cold, it’s delicious. All in all, a great stop.

Alexandria/Giza. You definitely need a guide/tour for this stop. Most passengers ponied up for a RCI tour of some sort, and I was a little nervous not to, reading all the postings about police convoys. But having a private tour guide (we used Rasha El Ashmawy at www.egyptdailytours.com) worked out great, and we were very happy with the day. We didn’t have to wait for the convoy (and I felt safer, being less obviously a tourist in a small vehicle), we lingered at things that interested us, and went quicker through things that did not. Price for a family of four was $100 for adults and $90 for kids; a group of seven was $80 for adults and $70 for kids (solar boat museum, going inside the pyramids and mummy room at the Egyptian museum extra, but lunch included). Keys to this day are FLEXIBILITY and HUMOR, and you should realize that even if you do it with RCI there might be glitches – for example, the entire bus that took the RCI Nile trip got sick, and cartouches ordered on a different RCI tour turned black when they were worn into the pool back on the ship. However, on the whole we heard that the RCI tours were pretty good. Our tour included the Giza plateau, where we walked around near all three pyramids, drove to a vista, drove back to go inside the medium sized pyramid (Kefern) and then visited the Sphinx. Lunch was a quick falafel sandwich, and then we went to the Egyptian Museum (including mummy room) and back out to shop at the Khan Al Khalili bazaar in ******* Cairo. We left the bazaar at 6:00 sharp, and pulled up to the ship at 9:25 (had to be back onboard by 9:30, so you really do have to watch your time). Rasha did not travel with us, but checked in with us all the way back to make sure that we made it back on board. Tips about this particular Giza/museum/bazaar itinerary: 1) change money before you get off the ship if possible because Euros/dollars are not accepted until you are at the bazaar; 2) take toilet paper in your bag – bathrooms are often bare; 3) take small change for the bathrooms; 4) resist resist resist people offering you anything (even people that claim to work for the sites you are visiting) – you will suspect it is a scam, but then you will not want to offend them, so you will go along, but it will end up being a scam at the end. We had a number of people flat out lie to us – “I work for the government, not a tour guide, come see, I don’t want to take your money” – and then demand “baksheesh;” 5) take water and umbrellas – Giza plateau is really exposed; 6) at the bazaar, decide what you are willing to pay and stick to your guns – as a rule of thumb, Rasha told us to chop their asking price in half or more – if you can’t settle with the first guy, you will probably see the same thing a few stores away; 7) about going inside the pyramids – a claustrophobic, hot, crowded, and stinky experience – but my family was glad they did it. The middle pyramid (Kefern) offers much the same experience as the largest pyramid (Khufu), but priced at about $6 instead of $20. The experience takes ten to fifteen minutes at either pyramid; 8) The Museum – so many treasures crammed right next to each other, it’s overwhelming – read a little before you go so you can sort out the experience before you’re there. There are actually two mummy rooms to see for the additional admission price of $20 – if you’ve seen a mummy before, you can honestly give this a miss, but if you haven’t, it is fairly interesting. If the line is long, see the rest of the museum and check back in later – it fluctuates depending on tour groups; 9) Get to ******* and/or Coptic Cairo if you can – much more atmosphere than downtown where the Museum is; 10) Do NOT eat at the bazaar – most expensive (and worst) “snack” of the trip; 11) DO try mint tea mmmmmm.

Valetta. This is the one port where we decided to do one of the ship’s organized excursions, a “jeep adventure” tour of the island. Having just recovered from a pinched nerve in my back, I don’t know what possessed me to book this excursion. The ride is VERY bumpy and rough, especially around the limestone quarries, so if you have any back or neck problems, you should opt for a different tour. That being said, the “Malta Jeep Adventure” is a good way to see a lot of the island. Each vehicle is an open-air jeep with seating for four people. There is a recorded guided tour playing in English to explain the various monuments or sights as you pass them. The last stop was at Golden Bay where we had free time to swim or lounge on the beach. Again, we are not big on organized tours, but this one was a good value for the money. Something that we found surprising was that all the signs were in English.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fneumeier:
medinaaa,

We´ll be on your Dec 21st cruise. We´re a couple from Germany with our 8yo DD.

We are mainly doing the shore excursions on our own.

I´ve written a long review about our trip on the Gem but it´s in German and on another website which I´m not allowed to link to (it´s another German cruise message board).
Hello, Carmen!

We will also be on this cruise - starting on December 21. We are from the US, and will have our 10 year old with us. I found that our touring interests are very close to yours, so it will be really nice to connect. I would also like to read the review that you mentioned, as I used to speak German, but don't know if this forum allows private messages. You can e-mail me at mariwind213@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to meeting with you and your family.

Marina
Old 12-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
...don't know if this forum allows private messages.
Yes, we do have private messaging. Click on the name of the person to whom you wish to send a private message (upper left corner of one of that person's post), then "Invite (name of member) to a Private Topic." Type your message, send, and you're all set. When you've received a message, there will be a "New PM" or "New Private Message" tab near the top of the page.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
quote:
...don't know if this forum allows private messages.
Yes, we do have private messaging. Click on the name of the person to whom you wish to send a private message (upper left corner of one of that person's post), then "Invite (name of member) to a Private Topic." Type your message, send, and you're all set. When you've received a message, there will be a "New PM" or "New Private Message" tab near the top of the page.
Lisa, thank you.

Closed Thread

Tags
alexandria, athens, cairo, call, cruise, cruises, egypt, excursions, jade, mediterranean, ncl, norwegian, port, roll, terminal, train