Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Looking for an input from past cruisers doing a crossing. This is my first and it includes the Med.
Specifically, the following: best way to buy Euros?
Any problems doing your own thing? Besides language, as I also speak French and Spanish.
I am an avid train and bus person and was happy to read Tom Ogg pieces on PostReviews.com.
This is my 12th cruise amongst the myriad lines and not my first time in Europe.
Also, how was the Atlantic Ocean as far as sea conditions. I leave 19 April 08. Any suggestions?
All traveling tips appreciated.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I have done the transatlantic crossing the past two years to from florida to Mediterranean. Weather has been great both times, sunny, warm and calm, except the first day out from Florida was a little rough. Mediterranean was also rougher than the Atlantic. And when I say calm, I mean not a ripple on the water for at least two of the days. The crossing is far enough south that you will have summer weather for the most part.
There really are no problems doing your own thing in Europe. All the major ports have hop on, hop off buses and train travel in Europe is relatively easy, just watch out for pickpockets and pursesnatchers. Check out port chats and reviews for lots of information.
There are lots of ideas about money. I bought Euros before I went, you can also use credit cards and debit cards, just check on the fees and exchange policies before you go. You can also have travellers cheques exchanged on the ship usually without a fee.
I am leaving on the Jewel for my third transatlantic crossing but ending in London instead of the Mediterranean this time.

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Thank you Jill SC.
My cruise leaves from NYC, thus my concern about rough seas. On my very first cruise, out of Miami, I crossed the Gulf Stream and experienced my first case of mal de mer. But I was on a tiny ship, years ago, called Empress of the Sea (I believe), on a 4/3 to Nassau. Decommissioned eons ago(most likely).
Anyway, will see about the pre-purchase of Euros at my bank. Not very keen on all the add-on charges for credit card conversions and Atm fees. I figure where ever I save goes towards the next cruise! Will also look into TCs....I have never used them before (especially when the dollar was King of currencies), but if the exchange is fee-less, I'll get them.
Enjoy the Jewel!
One of my last RCCL cruises was on the Radiance of the Seas in its inaugural year. Had a fabulous cruise on that ship.
You are heading north and I am heading south. If I 'pass' you, I'll be sure to give you a wave! lol

Closed Thread

Tags
atm, card, crossing, debit, fees, gem, ncl, rough, seas, transatlantic