Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coke72:
Hi!

I just read this thread and wonder about the legal situation in the US. If you had an accident caused by someone else (the truck driver in this example) and you have to spend some time in hospital so you cannot attend an already paid cruise, shouldn't be the truck driver liable for your personal loss?

Regards,
Arno
This opens a whole can of worms for the family affected. Perhaps the driver was responsible for the loss of the family cruise but thats a lot of individuals. Those with injuries, it becomes a pretty easy case for the insurance companies covering the two vehicles involed once the police report is done and fault is established. For the cruise loss, it's not so cut and dry. That would require each passenger to file claim for thier loss individually or as a class action. It's probably too small a claim after being seperated from the injuries for most Atty's to take without hourly fees for their services in filing and injoining all the claims. They fees for such a filing, depositions, etc. would probably be in excess of the cruise cost. Then you'll have a defense Att'y countering that the family could have mitigated the damage with a simple low cost travel insurance policy. He'll argue that they were equally negligent in declining such protection. The settlement, should that argument be successful in court would be the cost of an insurance policy for their cruise. I don't think there is an Att'y practicing that would take such a case.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 AM

Hi Neil,

thanks for your answer. Actually what you read here in the News in Germany about lawsuits in the US are mostly the big ones (person x against company y for a couple of million dollars). Well I never thought that this would be true for all lawsuits but I thought that the situation is at least equal for the aggrieved party compared to the situation in Germany.
But I totally agree that a cruise insurance or even better a travel insurance is the best thing you could do. What if you cannot blame the accident on someone else? Or if both are responsible? My parents had the problem last year when my grandmother broke her wrist the evening before the journey that they wanted to go on together. It is always good to have an insurance in these situations.
My travel insurance would cover the costs for the cruise as well as the flight, hotel and so on that I booked independendly.

Best reagrds,
Arno

Nil 1992, Costa Victoria Mittelmeer 2006, Costa Fortuna Karibik 2007, Norwegian Jewel Transatlantik 2008
Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 AM

I really like the NCL ships and restaurants, but I must agree with you on Customer Service.

When I called the toll free Customer Service number, the lady was VERY rude and obnoxious. She did NOT answer my question, and just kept trying to get me to hang up. I was calm and persistent, but it didn't do any good.

I called back 10 minutes later in hopes of getting my question answered.... but, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT ???.... I got the same rude lady !!! (What are the odds ?!!!)

PS.... Did anyone ever succeed in getting a FAX or email Customer Service number for PRE-cruise problems?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 AM

I don't normally read the NCL section but I'll have to agree that their absolutely right in not refunding the cruise fare. What if all cruise lines operated that way? How could anyone expect them to stay in business if you could cancel at any time & expect a full refund?
The op should feel lucky that they didn't have to be air lifted off the ship & incur the flight expenses. I used to sail without insurance but after reading about how much it would cost to be airlifted off a ship I changed my mind very quickly.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Koala:
PS.... Did anyone ever succeed in getting a FAX or email Customer Service number for PRE-cruise problems?
Pre-cruise issues are best handled through the same means you booked the cruise. That would be a travel agent, in many cases. If you booked through NCL, call the number you used to make the reservation.

But after reading your reasons for calling on your other posts (itinerary changes), there is nothing the CSRs could have done, anyway.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM

I said that I would keep you all informed of the outcome of this: Posted 6/16, 6/24

Back from June 8 thru June 15 (BOS.BDA.). It was our 30th wedding anniversary. We had this trip booked since Oct 07. Keep in mind that both the wife and I are disabled and walk with canes.
Day 1: Not able to use elevator closest to our cabin (CC9016-deck 9). Had to walk to the other end of ship then back (they used all three elevator banks for luggage fwd/mid). A/C not working properly.
Day 2: Called desk 11:00 AM for water and extra pillow three times. At 6:00 PM we got three towels. Personally went down to desk (deck 7) for those requests and finaly got what I asked for. 7:00 PM: was asked to wear pants at the Four Seasons (so much for "Free Style").
Day 3: Breakfast came to our room too early and wake up call came too late (yes we set our watches forward).
Day 4: Rope ladder hung in front of our window for maintenance from 2:30 PM until 9:00 PM (so much for privacy and view.
Day 5: 8:15 AM wake up call. Rope ladder slapping against the window (more maintenance).
Day 7: 1:00 PM: Ate at Four Seasons and ordered the Thai shrimp bisque. Hmm, what's this in my mouth? A piece of shrimp tail? NO, it was one of those pincher type bugs. No free drinks and nothing off the ships bill even though I asked and went down to the desk (cashiers) and asked for money off the bill.
The highlight of our trip was the Sunset Glass Bottom Boat,Ultimate Bermuda Triangle Tour and of course the Swizzle Inn. That said, If you haven't booked. Don't do it. Yes we are Latitude members who have sailed on the Majesty several times and loved it. I'm not buying into the line that it's a new crew blah,blah,blah. The Dream is only here for this summer and next summer then, it's bye bye. They don't care period. I just feel bad for the people of St. George (and Burmuda as a whole) as this will have a huge impact on their economy. If you haven't heard, NCL is selling out on the small ships that go to Bermuda and going MEGA size which are unable to get though the "cut" of St. George and shallows of Hamilton. For those of you that have booked, I realy wish you my best. Sorry for being so long winded.
Mike

And this:
One thing I would like to point out is, if you have a problem with any billing issues don't expect to resolve them while onboard. I highly recommend keeping your receipts. As you all know everything goes onto your credit card. So, when you get home you can call your credit card company and dispute it, which is exactly what we are doing. Trust me, your billing disputes will fall on deaf ears while onboard AND off. The only way to get them to respond is to hit their pocket book.
Mike

Well, we won! $374.78 taken off our credit card. Oh, and always take notes if something happens that you disagree or unhappy with.
Happy Cruzzin'
Mike
Old 09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Good for you,:-)

But I've been on 14 NCL ships and never ran into any of your problems.....Hope your next cruise is much better....Happy sailing to you..

Bob E
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 AM

So day 6, they did everything correct? I don't know what you were disputing for $374.78, but I'm glad you feel you won. Hope your next cruise is much better. Are you sailing with NCL again?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM

We sailed 3 times out of Boston on the Majesty and had a wonderful time. Lets just say the Majesty and its crew were a well oiled machine unlike the Dream. If you went to your local resturant and pulled a bug out of your mouth would you expect a free meal? Free drinks? We got nothing. My complaint fell on deaf ears as if we were just another piece of meat. Considering the wife and I can't get around to well, we did spend a great deal of time and money on board. NCL should have picked up on this.

Day 6? Went shopping. Hit the Swizzle Inn for lunch. Then did the sunset glass bottom boat. Maybe that's why day 6 was uneventful :-) Bottom line is NCL did not do the right thing by treating us with some respect, IE; free drinks, a bottle of wine sent to our room, etc, etc...make us happy!

Will we sail NCL again? Lets just say "they left a bad taste in my mouth." :-)

We may walk with canes but, we also carry a very big stick! And stick it to them, we did.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Yes, had we found a bug in our food in a local restaurant, we would expect the manager to "make it right" by comp'ing some or all of our meal.

I don't however think every little thing that you may have found to be not up to your standards deserves a freebie or restitution. If you expect to be treaty like royalty, cruise a higher end line.

So you had a bad meal experience and some how you think you deserved $374 for a meal? Should they have tried to apologize to you in some way... sure you bet. But because they didn't grovel at your feet you feel the need to "Stick it to them"? Yup you stuck it to em alright. I'm glad you got yours so NCL will be forced to turn around and increase prices.

Happy cruising...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, cusromer, customer, customerservicenclcom, dec, email, mail, ncl, place, reviews, sept, service, time, worst