Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 PM

My husband and I are considering an Alaskan cruise in August. The NCL Pearl has been recommended to us. Has anyone taken a cruise to Alaska? How was it? What cruiseline do you recommend? Anyone been on the Pearl?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:55 PM

I'm an agent and get very good reports back from the Pearl, a new ship. The best ship/cruiseline is dificult to answer and you'll get a lot of opinions here, everyone has their favorites. To get the best advice some more info about passenger ages and what you want from the cruise experience would be helpful.

A recommendation for someone 70+ that wants the best in food and service would be different from a family of 4 with small children. Also things like, are you active and want exciting hands on excursion choices or to relax and do as little as possible?

Happy sailing, Neil
Old 05-27-2007, 03:57 PM

By the way, welcome to Cruise-Chat!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 PM

We are in our mid forties. It would be just the two of us and he enjoys adventure. I like adventure (not quite as much) but also look for some degree of luxury and good food - always. He likes the idea of a smaller ship as do I, but I'm concerned that we might be bored? I've read a lot about both large and small ships. We have cruised w/Disney only once and he was a little bored unless on an excursion. He's also not into the shows which is why I think he might enjoy the smaller ships more. We are both excited about the idea of Alaska, the sights, tours, excursions, etc. Any suggestions....
Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

NCL Pearl would indeed be a good fit for the description you provided. I'm shocked you haven't had a few replies from the loyals of other lines here. Royal Caribbean or Princess would also be very good choices. There will be more options on Princess for the large/small ship decision. They simply have more ships than anyone else doing Alaska except for maybe Holland. I'd probably advise against Holland even though they do a great job with the food/service aspect, you'd be among the youngest on their ships.

For the Pearl, look at the thread in this same section just posted by Richard and Mary titled "Just Back from Alaska on NCL Pearl". There are some here who will poopoo NCL for food and service. That critique is deserved on some of their ship but not on Pearl. Every report I've had from clients who've sailed her are excelent.

Whatever you decide, have a great vacation!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 PM

As far as deciding between the larger or smaller ships, again everyone has preferences. I like the large ships for exactly the reason you mentioned. You said your husband got a little bored except at ports. I like having a multitude of choices onboard for entertainment and venues. Some like the more intimate atmosphere of the smaller ships. If you have any motion issues stay with big and new. The newer the ship the more advanced the stabelizers and the larger ships are less affected by the sea conditions.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

You don't need a smaller ship for Alaska. Lots of rumors over smaller vs larger especially when getting close to Glaciers. On the NCL Pearl, we had a pilot that assisted the Captian when entering the ice flows and the Glaciers. The NCL Pearl navigated at about 1 1/2 knots very close to the Glacier. It was spectacular. The ice flows on John Hopkins Inlet was heavy, so we could not navigate the inlet fully nor could the Shappire Princess. We came within 100 yards of two Glaciers (Margerie Glaciers and Lar Plugh Glacier) that were spectacular. A larger ship will offer better choices and more for dining, NCL has about 10 restaurants. Great large theatre for shows, and lost of activities. The ship hold 2300 passengers and crew of 1100+. There will be days when the ship seems empty, and crowding was never problem We have now sailed the NCL Pearl twice within a 3 month period.

Enjoy, and suggest the larger ships. Especially the newer built ships.

P.S.- If you want to see a great view from the NCL Pearl....check out the webcam on the NCL Pearl on Thursday from 1:00 PM EST to 3:00 PM. You will have a great idea of what to expect.

Go to this great website:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, cruises, deciding, epinions, forums, holland, line, lines, ncl, norwegein, norwegian, pearl, sailed, trvlpro