Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Hi,

The price of the cruise for next month that I booked in November has been significantly reduced. I have asked both NCL and my travel agent to help me get some of my money back, to no avail. They also will not offer me the free dining credit or upgrades they are giving to new bookings. I feel like I am being penalized for booking early. What's the deal?

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 02-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaofEnS:
Hi,

The price of the cruise for next month that I booked in November has been significantly reduced. I have asked both NCL and my travel agent to help me get some of my money back, to no avail. They also will not offer me the free dining credit or upgrades they are giving to new bookings. I feel like I am being penalized for booking early. What's the deal?

MamaofEnS
Waiting until weeks before your cruise to negotiate for the lower fares is too long. That's what you should be doing before Final Payment. After final payment, why should they reduce your fares, they already have your money in full.

Booking several months in advance of a cruise isn't booking early, at least in my humble opinion, booking a year to two years in advance is.

By the way, last November NCL had a special on, where you received up to a 5 class free upgrade.
And you didn't have to pay the new fuel surcharges, a $7 per day per person, as you would today. Add that $7 per day over a 7 day cruise. we're talking $49 per person more tacked upon today's fares.

Is it fair to have it both ways?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM

Dear Mr. Clark,

I see your point. I rechecked my records and actually booked it October 2nd, so I didn't receive any specials that I can recall. It just feels like a year since I selected the cruise in April 2007. I didn't know about the fuel surcharge. Thanks for the clarification. This is my first cruise with NCL.

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 02-28-2008, 08:57 AM
The reward of booking early is that you know you are booked on the ship....if they raise the price (as with my last cruise) would you expect them to make you pay more?....Just go and have a great time...that's where the real payoff is...

Happy Cruising,

Bob E
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 AM

I didn't know that was their policy. I am booked on CCL and when I noticed a price drop, they immediatley gave me an on-board credit when I asked. And, it was before the final payment date, even though I had paid in full already. I appreciated the no questions asked policy and have an OBC of $180...sweet!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Waiting until weeks before your cruise to negotiate for the lower fares is too long. That's what you should be doing before Final Payment. After final payment, why should they reduce your fares, they already have your money in full.
Sometimes, the price drop doesn't happen until after final payment time has come and gone. The cruise line may be trying to fill unsold inventory as they get closer to sailing date.

On several other cruise lines, if the price goes down in your category right up until sailing time, they'll give you a refund, upgrade or OBC. They do it even though they already have your money because they're trying to discourage folks from waiting until the last minute to book, in the hopes that prices will come down. As you know, that wreaks havoc on inventory control. To encourage folks to book early, they are willing to give passengers the lower price, should one become available.

I'm surprised NCL doesn't do this.

Sandy
Old 02-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Cruiselines that will continue to offer reductions or OBC even into the penalty period, even though some restriction do apply...

Carnival
RCCL
Celebrity
Azamara

Cruiselines that do not offer adjustments after penalty begins...

Princess
Cunard
NCL

The only cruiseline that not only will not offer adjustments in penalty but have restriction on some promos outside of the penalty period. On SOME promos the penalty period begins the day you book, no matter how far out (And full payment is required along with 100% penalty)...

HAL

They all have different requirements and rules. Many handle adjustments differently. Some with OBC and others actually credit your CC if it drops, even after penalty and if paid in full.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
adjustment, advance, back, caribbean, carnival, drop, due, final, money, ncl, pay, payment, penalty, period, price, prices, royal