Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 10:00 AM

i do understand your point but I iron and dress up all week long. not feeling that I have to do this seems like real vacation to me. I like that it is optional as people can choose to go more formal, or not, like many restaurants in the city I live in.

I also like the Point made by Richard and Mary that you don't need to have 3 changes of clothes per day I think this style cruising will allow people who are more casual on vacation a great option. I am getting very excited to go, and relax.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Even though NCL has a new dress policy of:

"Dress up or not" we found that the lady passengers still carried themselves very nicely, and the men usually wore slacks and nice collared shirts. Some wore blue jeans.

I wore dress slacks a few nights, especially when having a private dinner with Captain Sverre Svodsnes, and then wore nice blue jeans on other occasions.

The casual dress code made for a much more relaxing cruise, and that's what I want personally on a cruise. We don't go to show off our upscale clothes, jewelry, or ourselves.

It was nice to know that I didn't have to wear a tie, as I do daily in my workplace.

I think the new policy is terrific and will win over alot of potential cruisers to NCL.

We thought it was a great idea, and change from our 9-Day NCL Pearl cruise to the Southern Carribean, wearing a hot jacket and tie around my neck when it was hot and very humid.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

A few things...

First, I do not cruise to show off upscale clothes or jewelry. That would be impossible, as I do not own any.

Second, in our two dozen cruises, I have never needed three changes of clothes per day. Very simply, one outfit for daytime, one outfit for evening, and a couple of swimsuits/coverups thrown in for beach/pool time sufficed.

Getting dressed for dinner, whether formal or business casual, and remaining so attired the entire evening is an aspect cruising my family enjoys. I have no problem whatsoever with resort casual -- but when a cruise line condones clothing I'd wear to garden as proper attire for dinner inside its beautiful restaurants, that is going too far for me, and it is time to move on.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I bring a sports coat and it can be worn with any type pants on formal night...which really isn't formal any longer unless you want it to be...and my wife WANTS it to be...Jeans have been worn, but not by me....Just enjoy and wear what you want....

Bob E
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 AM

I took my 1st cruise on the Pride Of America back in November and LOVED the dress code. Hubby & I, like a lot of people "dress" for work, so it was refreshing NOT to have to dress up to be on Holiday! We ate in the buffets, main dining and specialty areas all week and saw all manner of dress. NONE that made me cringe. I am not one to take offense easily unless you were naked (in which case I'd go on a nude cruise). Besides I was so happy and relaxed to be on Holiday in Hawaii that what people had on was of no concern to me. Maybe if people prefer a dressier atmosphere then as I have read here many times NCL is just not their cup o tea. 212 days to the Dawn trip. BeachBabe2
Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM

I think it's great that NCL has the freestyle approach, even with dress code. It opens up cruising to a whole new group of people. Those who want a vacation from work and from work dress codes like the ability to still get fine dining without having to dress above jeans if they prefer. It's not for everybody and those who like the whole formal/semi formal thing should stick with the various other cruising choices out there. There are many.

It makes my job so much easier when I go through the phase of qualification (finding the right line/cruise for a client's needs/wants) to find the right choice with lines that are not all in lock-step.

I keep waiting for there to be an adult only line and other distinguishing trends that let people make informed choices that fit their lifestyle and what they want from thier vacation.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 AM

We are sailing on Pearl in June (Alaska) and one reason we picked this ship was for the "Freestyle cruising" ...something my husband and 18 year old son definitely prefer, however my daughter and I would like the opportunity to be able to get "dressed up" one or 2 nights for dinner and Husband and son don't mind a couple nights, so is there actually a designated formal night or which restaurants would be the most formal? We don't get to dress up very often so it would be fun to at least one night! Also from what I'm reading men wear slacks or dockers most nights so are dress slacks or capris with a nice blouse appropriate for ladies? Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

Sophia:

On this cruise, dress up night will be Monday,lobster night and lots of posing for pictures, either family or single. I know the ladies love to dress up, and here's your chance. Enjoy. And yes, the Capri's for the ladies are just fine. There is no doubt that you will enjoy this cruise.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Thank-you for the info!!! We are all very excited for this trip!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

Remember dressing up to the nines is completely optional on NCL ships. Resort causal attire is always appropriate everywhere on the ship.
There will be a few nights designated as "dress up" night, but you don't have to. If you wish, you can dress up on every night, or the night of your choosing.
That's what make Freestyle Cruising great, it's your choice when to dress up or not.

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, clothing, cruise, line, ncl, norwegian, pearl, proper