Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Hi!

This is my first post. I have been reading the message board for two weeks and have seen very a nice board with helpful members.

I am going on the Majesty to Bermuda, next month, and have many questions about the excursions. Maybe someone here can help me out?

We will be in Bermuda docked 4 days. Should I try to get a NCL excursion for each day or try a few days on our own? We like hiking, beaches, shopping, relaxing and seeing the sites. Do the local resorts offer day passes? Are there public beaches? Anything on the island that is a must see/do?

I was thinking about purchasing a 5 hours island tour for our first day with NCL (in advance) and playing in it by hear for the rest of the trip. That way we could see the most of island and go back to any interesting spots on our own. Will this plan work or will I be sorry for not having preplanned excursions?

TIA!

ell
Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Hi!

This is my first post. I have been reading the message board for two weeks and have seen very a nice board with helpful members.

I am going on the Majesty to Bermuda, next month, and have many questions about the excursions. Maybe someone here can help me out?

We will be in Bermuda docked 4 days. Should I try to get a NCL excursion for each day or try a few days on our own? We like hiking, beaches, shopping, relaxing and seeing the sites. Do the local resorts offer day passes? Are there public beaches? Anything on the island that is a must see/do?

I was thinking about purchasing a 5 hours island tour for our first day with NCL (in advance) and playing in it by hear for the rest of the trip. That way we could see the most of island and go back to any interesting spots on our own. Will this plan work or will I be sorry for not having preplanned excursions?

TIA!

ell
Old 04-16-2007, 07:14 PM

You could get a three or four day bus pass, and hop on and off all over the island. Each city has great tourism offices. They have lots of information for things to do. There are several public beaches. In St Georges be sure to see the old fashion town dunking.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM

Hi ell,

We purchased the multi-day bus passes and had a great time exploring. In St. Georges, make sure to take a swim at Tobacco Bay -- the fish are amazing to swim with. People we were with brought rolls from the ship and held the bread above the water and the tropical fish jumped right out of the water to get it. It was awesome.

We signed up for helmet diving, but they canceled it due to turbulent seas. We went to the perfumery, the Crystal caves, Elbow Beach and other places all by bus. It worked out fine. The busses are clean, safe and prompt.

Have fun

Callie
Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 AM

ell, I think you have the right idea. When we visit a new island, we normally do a snorkel excursion in the morning, then hire a local cab for a tour of the area. This way, if there's something we see interesting, the next visit to the island, we can go there (after snorkeling-I'm addicted). The bus passes are a good idea, for the first pass at Bermuda, an excursion with guide is not a bad idea at all. That way, you can learn something about the island. One thing I will suggest you go see is Horseshoe Beach. It's been a long time since I've been to Bermuda, but that beach sticks in my memory. Have a wonderful time!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Hi ell, and welcome to cruise-chat.

We've cruised to Bermuda four times, three of those were on Norwegian Majesty, most recently in 2005 and 2006.

Your idea to do the 5-hour island tour on the first day is excellent. We've done this tour through NCL and found it enjoyable and informative, and we'd been to Bermuda previously. Then, as you say, you can do the rest of your touring on your own.

It is very easy to get around Bermuda. I highly suggest the bus/ferry pass, and consider it the best use of our money. We purchased the three-day pass, but one- and two-day passes are also available. This allows unlimited travel in all zones on both the bus and ferry on consecutive days. We picked up our pass near the visitors center in St. George (cash only), but there are outlets near the major bus/ferry stations in Hamilton and the Dockyard, as well.

Here are some links for the transportation systems:
FERRY
BUS

Each has its own links to the different routes and the schedules.

Going between the Dockyard and St. George is quickest and easiest by ferry (Orange Route). First ferry TO the Dockyard on weekdays was 11:15 am when we were there, but get there early as it does fill up fast. Again, check the current schedule.

Ferries between Hamilton and the Dockyard are more frequent, and you can take either the Orange or Blue Route. The ferry terminals in all three ports (Hamilton, Dockyard, St. George) is located very close to the cruise ship terminals.

The bus routes are very easy, and the buses are now air conditioned. The routes we used were the #10 or #11 (between Hamilton and St. George) and #7 (to South Shore beaches, runs between Hamilton and Dockyard). The Aquarium, Swizzle Inn, and Shelly Beach (popular with the locals) are along the #10 and #11 routes. If you are coming from St. George and want to go to the south shore beaches (Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, Elbow Beach, for example), transfer buses in Hamilton -- it's very easy as there is one large bus terminal there that is well marked.

Here is a great map that I found very helpful in planning: MAP. This map (as well as the bus and ferry schedules) will be available at the visitor's centers, and perhaps onboard, yet I found it very useful to have it in advance, even though I have visited before.

One important thing that we did not realize -- bring more cash than you think you will need as bus passes and most museum admissions must be paid for with cash only -- no credit or debit cards.

Hope this helps start with your planning. I'm happy to answer other questions.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 AM
If you like to walk, I'd like to recommend the excursion with the sports afloat (If they still have it). It's very refreshing and nice.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. We bought the 5 hour NCL island tour for our frist day and will buy the buss/ferry pass for the next three days of our stay. All the information was very helpful. Thanks again for all the help.

Ell
Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 AM

Hope you have a great time! Come back and write about your experience. See you at the Pier
Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM

I have been to Bermuda several times and I certainly agree with the bus and ferry passes. The ferry rides alone are worth it just for the scenic ride. There is plenty of usfull information available when you get there about beaches and other attractions. This is a small set of islands and you will have plenty of time to see it all. I would say also, BEWARE OF THE RENTAL SCOOTERS, they don't tell you how many people are injured on those things.

Closed Thread

Tags
bermuda, bus, cruise, day, excursion, ferries, george, hr, isald, island, ncl, passes, reveiws, reviews, st, tour