Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 06:06 PM

I have searched and searched on here for an answer to this question and couldn't find it. I understand if you dont want to answer.

I realize on NCL you have to be 21 to drink, well Im 20 and 6 months.

Is it POSSIBLE to just go up and order a drink with a friends swipe and sign card? Or do you need to show a 2nd ID or is the friends picture on their or what? Because most of my friends attending the trip with me are 21.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-RJ
Old 02-23-2005, 06:06 PM

I have searched and searched on here for an answer to this question and couldn't find it. I understand if you dont want to answer.

I realize on NCL you have to be 21 to drink, well Im 20 and 6 months.

Is it POSSIBLE to just go up and order a drink with a friends swipe and sign card? Or do you need to show a 2nd ID or is the friends picture on their or what? Because most of my friends attending the trip with me are 21.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-RJ
Old 02-24-2005, 05:51 PM

If you're in a bar (versus on deck) you'll find that they won't card you for a second ID because they have all your info in their system and when your card is swiped it no doubt tells them if you're underage. So...I'd imagine if you have someone over 21 and they buy drinks and then bring them back to the table then no one will be the wiser. On deck it's a bit different because they're just taking your card, going to the bar, swiping it and then returning. In that case they may ask for extra ID as we actually did observe this a couple of times. It also depends on how busy it is on deck. We sailed the Dawn in March of 04 for a spring break and since it was quite busy most times they didn't seem to be too vigilent.

Hope this helps.

What ship are you sailing and when?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-24-2005, 08:25 PM

I am not sure about NCL, but most cruise lines will mark your card with a punched hole (or other marking) so that when it is swiped, they will identify you as not able to oder a drink.

Sorry to share that.

Tom
Old 02-24-2005, 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul & Darryl:
If you're in a bar (versus on deck) you'll find that they won't card you for a second ID because they have all your info in their system and when your card is swiped it no doubt tells them if you're underage. So...I'd imagine if you have someone over 21 and they buy drinks and then bring them back to the table then no one will be the wiser. On deck it's a bit different because they're just taking your card, going to the bar, swiping it and then returning. In that case they may ask for extra ID as we actually did observe this a couple of times. It also depends on how busy it is on deck. We sailed the Dawn in March of 04 for a spring break and since it was quite busy most times they didn't seem to be too vigilent.

Hope this helps.

What ship are you sailing and when?

I will be on the Norwegian Sun leaving Saturday March 5th. But thanks for the pointer.

So you're saying a friend can just buy the drink and bring it to me? And no harm is done?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:18 AM

If you are traveling with friends who are 21, in most cases they will be able to buy a drink for you or you can often use their card to purchase a drink. I would not make it obvious, however. As an example, don't have your friend purchase a drink, then pass the card to you so you can purchase one. If you and your friends become obnoxious or unruly, you will be noticed and then it may require you to produce a 2nd form of ID.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-25-2005, 04:15 PM

I agree with Nancy...keep it discreet.

I understand we must have guidelines in one's society but it does seem a little stupid that 6 months before you're 21 you can't (technically) drink when you're there to have a good time.

When I turned 18 it was the legal drinking age in Florida (where I grew up) then I was in the military so I never really noticed my 21st birthday in that respect.

Still without preaching; alcohol can be quite an insidious drug and you should always be careful with your consumption. You sound like a responsible person that just wants to have a good time and I say "go for it" just use good judgment (there, I preached anyway!)

One more thing. It sounds like you're going to be on a Spring Break Cruise. Last year we sailed on the Dawn on 3/14 and had a blast even though she was FULL of college kids (I must say I enjoyed that immensely). Anyway, remember this...that little card they give you is VERY easy to use and as such you can run up quite a tab. We were not really on a severe budget on that cruise but I was still a bit shocked when we pulled an account report on the Wednesday and found we were already up to around $500 (with about $250 being drinks on deck, etc). I recently talked to someone I know casually that was lamenting the fact that she racked up a whopping $2000 on a 7 day cruise. She was blaming NCL for that which of course is ludicrous. She knew what she was doing but her complaint was that "it was too easy" and that's the point. This is where all lines make their money...(I'm preaching again...sorry) but just want to point out that there are lots of things to do without spending much. There are always daily drink specials too so look for those, that will save you money as well as the "bucket of beers" they do on deck.

Have fun and don't forget to report back to all of us cruise junkies on how much fun you had.

Darryl

Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul & Darryl:
I agree with Nancy...keep it discreet.

I understand we must have guidelines in one's society but it does seem a little stupid that 6 months before you're 21 you can't (technically) drink when you're there to have a good time.

When I turned 18 it was the legal drinking age in Florida (where I grew up) then I was in the military so I never really noticed my 21st birthday in that respect.

Still without preaching; alcohol can be quite an insidious drug and you should always be careful with your consumption. You sound like a responsible person that just wants to have a good time and I say "go for it" just use good judgment (there, I preached anyway!)

One more thing. It sounds like you're going to be on a Spring Break Cruise. Last year we sailed on the Dawn on 3/14 and had a blast even though she was FULL of college kids (I must say I enjoyed that immensely). Anyway, remember this...that little card they give you is VERY easy to use and as such you can run up quite a tab. We were not really on a severe budget on that cruise but I was still a bit shocked when we pulled an account report on the Wednesday and found we were already up to around $500 (with about $250 being drinks on deck, etc). I recently talked to someone I know casually that was lamenting the fact that she racked up a whopping $2000 on a 7 day cruise. She was blaming NCL for that which of course is ludicrous. She knew what she was doing but her complaint was that "it was too easy" and that's the point. This is where all lines make their money...(I'm preaching again...sorry) but just want to point out that there are lots of things to do without spending much. There are always daily drink specials too so look for those, that will save you money as well as the "bucket of beers" they do on deck.

Have fun and don't forget to report back to all of us cruise junkies on how much fun you had.

Darryl

Good post!!

Yea I definitely read every word you said and I DEFINITELY no how to drink under control. Im just trying to have a few drinks every day and be fine.

But thanks for the pointers.

-RJ
Old 02-25-2005, 07:58 PM

No Problem RJ

Have an awesome time!

Darryl

Closed Thread