Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
But I have had better food at Chili's than on NCL (not that I dislike Chili's but I expected better food on a cruise ship)
Check out you nearest Chili's Restaurant, count the number of tables or seats. Then compare that number to what's available on a cruise ship. You'll come to the conclusion there's at least twice as many tables and seats total on a large cruise ship. Then add that one of the restaurants aboard the cruise ship is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and that Chili's isn't open for breakfast.
The Chili's gets fresh food delivered every day of the week, the large cruise ship gets fresh food delivered only on disembarkation / embarkation day. Which can be anywhere from 4 days to 14 days frequency.

What amazes me is why so many expect better food aboard cruise ships? Does NCL advertise 5 star food? Does NCL advertise 1 star food? The point is, they don't advertise the quality of the food at all, and dish it out free. Golly, even the surcharge restaurants dish the food out cheaper than Chili's.

So why do so many expect 5 star cuisine aboard cruise ships? Is it the fany decor of the Dining Rooms, the linen on the tables, the dinnerware, the menus, or the uniforms of the wait staff? Providing the environment is much easier than providing higher quality food.
5 star restuarants have unlimited space for their kitichens, they can expand their kitchens when necessary. Cruise ships don't have unlimited kitchen space, and can't expand their facilities. The crowded galley has been, is, and will always be crowded.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:

So why do so many expect 5 star cuisine aboard cruise ships? .
People who cruise expect edibile food.
We have been on several lines & the food is well prepared and good.
We did NCL Dream and it was the worse food we have had for any cruise.
Yes there are good cruiselines & bad ones.
You need to find what suits you most.
I prefer good food and willing to pay a bit more for my cruise.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-21-2007, 08:01 AM

One of the reasons you expect good food is your expecting it after you have spent 3,000 dollars for a week on a on a floating hotel. And you will probaly spend half of that before you disembark, Thus many average people that never cruised before have high expectations only to find disapointment after disapointment. I can only imagagine what a family of four has spent eating in these so called specialty restraunts that require this $20 cover for one week of substandard service and quality.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 PM

You are amazed because people expect better food on a cruise?? Wow... I guess you don't see the advertisements for cruise lines.

Yes, I do expect great food on a cruise. I also have always found great food and service. Yes, there are more tables and people to serve. There are also orders of magnitude more service staff to do it with. I have never found a bad meal on CCL (and assume the same from RCCL) and was terribly disappointed by NCL. To the point where I probably will not be cruising with them again. (Not the only reason, but definetly a big part of my decision)

If NCL can't (or won't) do a better job on their cuisnie, they are going to be losing customers.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
The Chili's gets fresh food delivered every day of the week, the large cruise ship gets fresh food delivered only on disembarkation / embarkation day. Which can be anywhere from 4 days to 14 days frequency.
Not necessarily so. We've seen food loaded onto ships in several ports mid-cruise. The most memorable was on Regal Empress a few years ago, where crates of live lobster were brought onboard in Portland, Maine. What a wonderful feast we had that evening!

And, certainly on NCLA cruises in Hawai'i, they can reload every once in a while.

I do enjoy our NCL cruises, yet I must also agree with many about the decline in food quality. This is not to say the meals are bad -- they are just not what they used to be. I was very disappointed last year to learn that the line discontinued the Presidents' Menu, for example.

In all fairness, I have noticed this on other lines, too. Even so, I do expect the cruise lines to provide good to excellent food -- as well as sufficient choices.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

I'll say it again; expectations need to be reasonable. If your expectation is for good food, you won't be disappointed. If you expect Chef Ken to be serving his 5 star meals tableside every meal, you'll be disappointed.

In Hawaii, I've spent $50-$100 per plate, four people, for 7 nights in Hawaii, plus several hundred a night for a cramped hotel room, and felt much less satisfied with my vacation experience for the amount of money I spent than for any cruise I've taken.

It's all about reasonable expectations. The cruise vacation, in total, is perhaps the best value you can get.

Don't get me started on the "Disney" experience! $550 plus for entry to 2 parks for 4 people, $250 a night for the mid range room in the park, $100 for a cruddy lunch at an Itialian restaurant in the park...

I have not had NCL food, and I grant everyone's entitlement to their opinion on NCL food. I'm talking about cruise line food in general. Who knows? Maybe I'd be more passionate against NCL if I'd taken one of their cruises!

Expectations govern end results.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

goin' cruisin' has it right. Last week I received an e-mail offer from "A Cruise Line" for a 5-day cruise this coming October for $259 pp. Okay, so let's add the tips and taxes and round it to $400. That is $80 per day per person. I'd like to know where I can get served three meals in a formal dining room, plus all I can eat at a buffet, plus room service, plus shows, and oh, don't forget the room itself, for $80 per day. Or for $100 per day. Or even for $200 per day.

I expect "good" food and I am normally happy with the results, sometimes I am surprised. And yes, I sometimes am disappointed by a dish but this is rare.

"Expectations need to be reasonable." "gc" nailed it!

However it would be nice to have Chef Ken serve a fine repast during our member cruise!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:36 PM

How nice of you to say so. I agree that expectations must be put into context of a real world, not how we think we should be treated. Cruise lines do an amazing job and most of the meals I have had were excellent. Could I pick them apart with criticism? Sure, but that doesn't make for a very enjoyable cruise now does it.

People sometimes feel that the dollars they spend are more valuable then what others spend. Mr. O touched on the entitlement mentality on another thread. Relax, breathe deep as someone told me and lower your expectations.

NCL has some real issues and I think they are doing damage control but the problems will have a tendency to spread throughout all levels of employee ranks and that would include those who prepare and serve food.

The management problems would have me thinking twice about another NCL cruise but not the food.

In defense of NCL, I have not been on The Pearl or The Jewel so rest easy defenders of NCL, put down your sword, I mean no harm. Just putting forth an opinion.

Ken
Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

It seems that some posters just can't be satisfied. I believe that many posts concerning the quality of food on NCL ships is unwarranted. Seems like some people think they serve dog food. I would bet those that complained here over NCL still ate while on the cruise. I am sure they got up for breakfast and most likely ate dinner somewhere on the ship. Did you get physically sick from the food? I doubt it. Was the presentation bad? I doubt it. Did you ask for more or a different entree if yours was so bad? I doubt it. Sounds like the Junks and few others are constant complainers. What do you expect, the Four Seasons in New York City at Wall Street. If so your booked on the wrong ship. Both myself and Mary have not had a multiude of bad dinners on NCL. If we did, the staff was very polite and changed or corrected our complaint. I strongly feel the reports here about NCL food being so trashy is totaled over blown in their facts. It is very hard to believe that 21 dinners on a 7 day cruise was all bad or dog food quality. As for the Dream, we were on the ship in Oct 2006, and found all the dinners to be very acceptable. There were no problems. If you ate lunch on the outside for the BBQ, that was typical backyard, local park style BBQ. We found it to be OK. The Pizzeria on deck, was typical of a quick and low priced buffet, but thats what we expected. The dining rooms were fine, and had some first time cruisers and they enjoyed it all. So its just a case of more Americans who love to bitch and complain about small stuff. It's the Ameirican way. We will be back on NCL in 28 days to Alaska, and I will report back honestly. When we were on the Pearl in Feb. we ate dinner and lunch several times with people who owned restaurants, and they thought the NCL food was very good. If the food selection is dog or cat food, crappy or good I will report it back here. But as of today we have been served, respected, and the food was always quite good.No complaints after sefveral NCL cruises and NCL Platinum members.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:

However it would be nice to have Chef Ken serve a fine repast during our member cruise!
I'll bring the bologna and ketchup, Dave can you get the white bread and canned pork n' beans and GC, I hope you can select a nice boxed wine. Actually I don't know if I will be able to bring my smoker on board to create some excellent ribs!!

For the record, I have never said anything bad about NCL food. The meals we had on our last NCL cruise were good.

Closed Thread

Tags
food, lousy, ncl, room, stewards