Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Cheffy:

Great to hear that you finally will drink the box the wine with the pork and beans. Finally you may have been converted.

For me it's the cheap hot dogs with 1% rodent hair allowed, pigs snout and a cheap glass of Franzia. Now that's delightful. Sounds like the Junks may have eaten on their cruise.

I must admit that a good smoker grill outside on board ship with a slow cooked brisket or sausage basking in BBQ sauce sounds awefully good. Especially if you would throw in a few cobbs of that great Midwestern yellow sweet corn on the cobb, and some homemade coleslaw with a hint of pineapple, and of course those Minnesota baked beans. Now thats American.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:

I'll bring the bologna and ketchup, Dave can you get the white bread and canned pork n' beans and GC, I hope you can select a nice boxed wine. Actually I don't know if I will be able to bring my smoker on board to create some excellent ribs!!
Well now I am in doubt of your chef credentials. What self-respecting foodie would serve a bologna sandwich with ketchup? It takes Miracle Whip, man, Miracle Whip! And the bologna is preferably fried - bonus points for using Crisco. Why oh why the cruise lines don't serve this treat at the buffet, I'll never know.

And make that white bread Sunbeam and the beans Grandma Browns (it's a NY thing).
Old 04-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
It seems that some posters just can't be satisfied. I believe that many posts concerning the quality of food on NCL ships is unwarranted. Seems like some people think they serve dog food. I would bet those that complained here over NCL still ate while on the cruise. I am sure they got up for breakfast and most likely ate dinner somewhere on the ship. Did you get physically sick from the food? I doubt it. Was the presentation bad? I doubt it. Did you ask for more or a different entree if yours was so bad? I doubt it. Sounds like the Junks and few others are constant complainers. What do you expect, the Four Seasons in New York City at Wall Street. If so your booked on the wrong ship. Both myself and Mary have not had a multiude of bad dinners on NCL. If we did, the staff was very polite and changed or corrected our complaint. I strongly feel the reports here about NCL food being so trashy is totaled over blown in their facts. It is very hard to believe that 21 dinners on a 7 day cruise was all bad or dog food quality. As for the Dream, we were on the ship in Oct 2006, and found all the dinners to be very acceptable. There were no problems. If you ate lunch on the outside for the BBQ, that was typical backyard, local park style BBQ. We found it to be OK. The Pizzeria on deck, was typical of a quick and low priced buffet, but thats what we expected. The dining rooms were fine, and had some first time cruisers and they enjoyed it all. So its just a case of more Americans who love to bitch and complain about small stuff. It's the Ameirican way. We will be back on NCL in 28 days to Alaska, and I will report back honestly. When we were on the Pearl in Feb. we ate dinner and lunch several times with people who owned restaurants, and they thought the NCL food was very good. If the food selection is dog or cat food, crappy or good I will report it back here. But as of today we have been served, respected, and the food was always quite good.No complaints after sefveral NCL cruises and NCL Platinum members.
Wow we must have hit a nerve! Who thought that a ship named pride of hawaii that things should have been labeled your average bottom of the barrel BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL. You're right we did eat breakfast a bowl of cereal because we coul'nt wait to get of the ship to go complain about the food at HOOTERS atlest the guest there had something to look forward to. Others look forward to booking on better cruise lines that actually care that they get repeat customers and know what thier tip was actually for.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:12 PM

thejunks, There are people who know exactly what you are talking about and those who think NCL can do no wrong. How long do you plan to be bitter about it?

Are you going to book with another cruise line yet? I am told that is the best way to get over a bad cruise.

I'm not going to play the game asking you if there was "anything positive about it?" Where you say, "yea, disembarkation.ha ha." Just hope you have a better experience in the near future.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:
thejunks, There are people who know exactly what you are talking about and those who think NCL can do no wrong. How long do you plan to be bitter about it?

Are you going to book with another cruise line yet? I am told that is the best way to get over a bad cruise. Of course we will with lines we are familiar with we are already planning a 10 day to cancoon. If people had read our other posting in the disabled forum. We loved the islands and the hospitality of the locals our luau was excellent. We just had alot of difficulty with staff.

I'm not going to play the game asking you if there was "anything positive about it?" Where you say, "yea, disembarkation.ha ha." Just hope you have a better experience in the near future.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

The Norwegian Dawn has 10 restaurants:
The Venetian- (a cost-included main restaurant) served 2,951 breakfasts, 1,974 lunches, and 4,434 dinners.
Aqua - (a cost-included main restaurant) served 3,867 dinners.
Impressions - (a cost-included main restaurant) served 2,013 dinners.
La Trattoria (a cost-included specialty restaurant) served 1,060 dinners.
Salsa ( a cost-included specialty restaurant) served 1,241 dinners.
The Garden Cafe (a cost-included buffet restaurant) served 9,509 breakfasts, 7,046 lunches, and 4,396 dinners.
The Blue Lagoon (a cost-included 24-hour fast food restaurant) served 3,335 lunches, 1,284 dinners, and 1,451 mid-time meals.
Bamboo (a $12 per person surcharge Asian restaurant) served 550 dinners.
The Sushi Bar (an a la carte pricing restaurant) served another 277 patrons.
Tapanyaki ( the Japanese restaurant) served 262 dinners.
Cagney's (the $20 per person surcharge steak house) served 976 dinners.
La Bistro (the $15 per person surcharge French restaurant) served 675 dinners.

For a TOTAL of 47,101 meals, plus room service, and poolside barbeques, on a seven-day cruise. That averages 6,729 meals per day.

Yes, they have chefs cooking something 24 hours a day. It's mass produced, assembly line techniques being used, not individually prepared after you order it. It's not a few steaks being grilled at once, but more like a few dozen steaks being grilled.
It's not your local 5 star restaurant serving just 200 diners each evening. You should expect good food aboard cruise ships, but you shouldn't expect great food. The numbers of dishes being prepared each day is too great for all to be perfect. Think catering in a beautiful decor instead of 5 star restaurant.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

Ron:

Excellent points and great stats. Just shows it's not an individual dining experience when it comes to food prep. Most passengers would never realize these numbers, especially in light of the superior service that one gets in main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and buffets. For the masses NCL does a GREAT job. Yet you feel very individual at the dining experience. We always have. Your post should really make cruisers think alot about the food service and how well everything flows and how well the great job that NCL and other cruise ships do. And just think they do that every week.

Amazing.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 PM

We have sailed on NCL several times & are sailing on the Jewel for the 2nd time May 31, My Husband & I are both chefs with 40 years of experience in UK & USA,(now retired ) I think NCLs problem started when they dicded to register POH & POA under the USA Flag, this requires them to employ only persons that have legal status in the USA, & they are paid at least mimimum wage!!! on most of their other ships they can employ any nationality at any wage the market will bear , & most of them work long hours & very hard . on the US ships staff can leave the ship in their free time & have been known not to return to the ship or be serving passengers with a hangover,there have been numerous postings of poor or no cabin service,plus staff shortages. So one can only guess with having to pay higher wages,Taxes & insurance , there is bound to be cuts elswhere nameley food quality for one, We have always enjoyed food & sevice on NCL ships we have been on but have a avoided booking om their US regisreed ships for reasons stated.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 AM

Ameri Brit,

Hello and welcome to cruise chat. You are correct and stated the problem precisely. I am embarrassed at the ugly-American that is created by this image.

In my opinion this is something created out of the liberties we hold so dear. An element of our society has taken freedom across the lines of moral and ethical boundaries and has created a permissiveness in our culture. This makes for lazy and pampered children who are not disciplined, who think they have earned rights that defy being a servant. We are not all that way, not all of our children behave and grow up with this mentality but there is a trend of children of the baby boomers. Things are given to them, cars, money, etc. so they don't typically have to work and save. Then they get out of college with huge debts to pay and imagine this, they are not prepared.

This is a generalized statement regarding kids in America and of course it is not reflective of the whole. I just think there are those of them who end up on cruise ships thinking they are going to be living a great life cruising and getting paid for it.

This is simply my opinion of a growing trend of kids in the US, I have seen it first hand with some of my employees.

The element in our society that enables this bad behavior sets the rules for the number of hours they can work and what pay they should receive.

No system is perfect but ours does not rise to the top always.

That is my rant. I know there is differing opinion and I have a lot to be proud about regarding my country. I have also seen stellar, young people who are gracious and hard working.

Always nice to hear from other chefs!

Ken
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Banned

Cheffy:

All I can say......

Very good comments to the above. I couldn't agree more.

Closed Thread

Tags
food, lousy, ncl, room, stewards