Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I noticed that both the Dawn and the Spirit will be cruising out of other Ports late in 2007 and a quick revue of other NCL itineraries seems to have no ships scheduled to cruise out of NYC when the Dawn and the Spirit depart! Is NCL having problems in the NYC market?

Billy
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM

I'm not surprised - it costs a lot of money just to fly into NYC from anywhere in the US and with the economy the way it is right now, I can understand why people would rather save extra "spending" money by cruising out of other ports closer to home. Plus, who knows what's going to happen w/ NCL now that their profits have declined in the last year......
Old 07-11-2006, 03:09 AM

Billy,

I understand the new "Norwegian Gem" will be based in New York year-round.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Raoul
Thank You for the info-I do not have much info yet on the Gem and she does not show up on scheduled itineraries of NCL ships on the sites I have seen! I would have felt sad to see NCL pull out of NYC-their year round cruising out of NYC has rejuvenated NYC as a cruise departure center in the region!

Billy
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Here's the NCL press release about the Spirit and Dawn departure from New York, and the arrival of the Gem.

http://www.ncl.com/news/pr/pr060606.htm

You should note that either the Dawn or Spirit, or both, could return to New York for the 2008 summer season. NCL hasn't posted the 2008 summer season yet. But it's a done deal that only the band new Gem will sailing from New York during the 2007-2008 winter season.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to briefly note the NCL 2007-2008 winter season itineraries.

Gem sailing from New York with seven-day Florida and Bahamas cruises and four 10- and 11-day cruises to the Southern Caribbean in the winter; and seven-day cruises to Bermuda and the Bahamas in the summer.
Dawn sailing from Miami with seven-day Eastern Caribbean cruises for the winter.
Spirit sailing from New Orleans with seven-day Western Caribbean cruises.
Pearl and Jewel sailing from Miami with alternating nine-day Southern Carribean and five-day Western Caribbean cruises.
Star sailing from Los Angeles with eight-day Mexican cruises.
Dream sailing fourteen-day cruises around the southern tip of South America.
Majesty sailing from Charleston with seven-day Western Caribbean cruises.
Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii and Sun sailing from Honolulu with seven-day Hawaiian cruises; the Sun with ten and eleven-day Hawaiian cruises to Fanning Island.

Note: Both the Wind and Crown will have departed the NCL fleet by then.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Ron

Thank You for the info on the press release-now I m looking for more info on the Gem!

Sincerely,

Billy
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

You can watch the Pearl and Gem being built at

http://www.meyerwerft.com/main.asp?id=1221&lang=e

Note, the almost completed cruise in the bottom picture is the Norwegian Pearl, and the sections being built next to it are for the Norwegian Gem.
In the top picture is the AIDAdiva which in my opinion is about half assembled.

That's about all you'll can see or read about the Norwegian Gem for a while. I will say you're more likely gather more new news on the Gem quicker by surfing to the NCL news web site.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Ron-thanks for the lead-looks like there is not too much to see on the Gem as yet-I'll keep on looking!

Billy
Old 07-14-2006, 07:45 PM

The WIND is leaving the NCL fleet?? She better not end up like the SS Norway or I will be upset. She was a great ship - I enjoyed her on my very first cruise which was 2 weeks in Hawaii October 1999. The crew, atmosphere, iterinary and all was excellent - couldn't have asked for a better cruise to celebrate my divorce! The DREAM is the ship that needs to leave the NCL fleet...but that's JMHO.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 PM

Wind is going to Asia, and will be renamed (SuperStar Aquarius, if I remember right.) Dream will probably follow before too awfully long.

Closed Thread

Tags
arrival, cruise, cruises, cruising, departure, ending, line, location, mexican, ncl, news, norwegian, ny, nyc, pulling, sailings, ships, times, winter