Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 AM

I am planning to go on the 7 day Med cruise on the Norwegian Gem in May. We usually stay in a midship balcomy cabin, but I was considering an aft cabin off the back of the ship. Is it true that there is more motion there? Is the motion disturbing or is it mild? What about views? Would you recommend sticking to midship?

Thanks all-
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM

We went to Alaska last year on RCI and stayed in a suite on the 9th floor on the very back of the ship and it was awesome. While cruising we could see both sides. We did not get sea sick, I think it was the same as anywhere else we have stayed. There was a little bit of engine or some other kind of noise, we had never heard before, it really did not bother us though.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

mvp2:

You may want to look at the deck plans for the NCL Pearl which is NCL's newest ship and will be an identical twin of the Pearl. You can select a cabin from the deck plans. We have been in stateroom #9500 forward (Pearl) and that was awesome. We have been in stateroom #9020 (Pearl)and that was awesome, and #11156 (Jewel) on the aft of the ship which was awesome. I think since these ships are so large and they have stabilizers you really don't have to much worry about ship movements from side to side unless you encounter rough seas. You can buy an OTC drug called Bonine which has an ingredient called Meclazene which is for motion sickness with no side effects.

You will have a grand time on the GEM. I have several photos shows on the NCL Jewel and Pearl ships which will be the same as the Gem except for decor. So feel free to take a look at:

www.photoshow.com/members/dziak2

Most of all enjoy the cruise. It should be a blast. Enjoy the Freestyle Cruising and Dining. Your in for an experience and vacation of a lifetime.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM

I have the difinitive answer on what is the best stateroom on the Gem. It's a Cat A1 Garden Villa. I'll copy the cabin description below.

Garden Villa

Feature a separate bedroom with a king-sized bed and a private bathroom with whirlpool tub and separate shower; floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open up to private balconies; two additional separate bedrooms with private bathrooms with showers; a living room; and a dining room. Each villa also features a CD/DVD library, minibar, refrigerator, minisafe, television, music console, direct-dial telephone, and a hairdryer. Garden Villa guests have access to the exclusive concierge lounge and private courtyard area with a pool, whirlpool, and sun deck. Butler service and concierge available.

Approximately 2,320-sq.-ft. suite with 1,035-sq.-ft. balcony

On Deck: 14

Now that's cruising!

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-18-2007, 05:54 PM

Off season, in November you can get it heavily discounted at the bargain price of only $21,999. + gvt taxes for a 12 nighter. (in case anyone was wondering)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

mvp2:

I totally agree with Neil and if you want to see the GV first hand, view my photoshow on the NCL Pearl to Alaska. Mary & I had a private tour and it's awesome. I am sure after 6 bottles of complimentary hard liquor and 6 bottles of complimentary wine, which some standard with the room; you will not feel any waves, you get butler service so you never have to leave your stateroom. You have your private hottub for extra relaxation, and if you rent the GV, you can just about request anything you want and get it.

Now this is great advice from a TA.....good job Neil. Great recommendation. And Neil if you ever rent it and need an extra help to pay for it, Mary & I are willing to sleep in the closet.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Richard and Mary, I'll take the other closet. I suspect it's larger than my bedroom at home, anyway.

mvp2, welcome to cruise-chat, and good luck with your decision. We've never had an aft balcony, so I can't offer any advice -- but wanted to welcome you nonetheless.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 AM

Thanks all for your feedback, advice and warm welcome. I cannot afford the 2000sf cabin, but I will try the aft cabin off the back of the ship for the views.

mvp2

Closed Thread

Tags
9500, aft, cabin, cruise, floor, gem, ine, ncl, norwegian, photos, stabilisers, stabilizers, stateroom, stay, staying