Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Norwegian Sun to Alaska - June 7th (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/25050-norwegian-sun-alaska-june-7th.html)

largogirl 01-16-2009 11:09 AM

We've taken several cruises - two with NCL - and have always had a wonderful time . However, I've read lots of reviews about the Sun cruise to Alaska where passengers have been confused about the dress code . Does anyone know if the Sun has the formal nights that all other cruises have ? (Apparently jeans are acceptable dinner wear for the Alaska trip .) Also, any advice on the kind of outerwear appropriate for Alaskan weather in June ? Any help appreciated - don't want to travel from Scotland laden with inappropriate clothing .

largogirl 01-16-2009 11:09 AM

We've taken several cruises - two with NCL - and have always had a wonderful time . However, I've read lots of reviews about the Sun cruise to Alaska where passengers have been confused about the dress code . Does anyone know if the Sun has the formal nights that all other cruises have ? (Apparently jeans are acceptable dinner wear for the Alaska trip .) Also, any advice on the kind of outerwear appropriate for Alaskan weather in June ? Any help appreciated - don't want to travel from Scotland laden with inappropriate clothing .

Kraftsinc 01-16-2009 04:49 PM

Hi Largogirl,

We did a Sun Alaska cruise in August of 2007. They did say no jeans in the dining rooms at dinner time and I have to say that I don't think people did wear jeans at that time of day. Their "formal" nights were "dress up or not" so while some were in suits and dresses, others were just in their collared shirts and dress pants as they were the other nights.

Welcome to Cruisechat. I'm sure others who may have been on the Alaska cruise more recently will let you know if things have changed.

It's an absolutely teriffic cruise and you'll have such a wonderful time. That's a long way to come - From Scotland. I hope you'll be spending some time in Vancouver before or after your cruise because it's a beautiful place to see as well.

Judy

Berick1234 01-17-2009 01:49 AM

Even in June you should be layered....Alaska is a wet area, and can rain almost every day...One day you can be in shorts and the next you have to have long pants on....Nights get chilly on the ship so a light jacket is a must....Formal nights aren't that formal....Suits to plain shirts for men, cocktail dresses to blouses and slacks for the ladies....I've been to Alaska 3 times and will go again...It's wonderful...now if I could just get to Scotland....Happy Sailing..

Bob E

largogirl 01-17-2009 04:47 AM

Thanks for the info, guys , it's really helpful . We'll be travelling in Canada for 2 weeks before our cruise and have a few days afterwards so lots of time . Flying in to Calgary , where our daughter lives, and out of Vancouver . We've done this trip several times and never tire of the Rockies . It's a fabulous drive - like Scotland writ large ! First cruise to Alaska though - we're celebrating "significant" birthdays - and we're very excited about it . Rain ? Who cares - we're Scottish ! Love this chat site , it's so informative . Thanks again for the advice .

Bentnail 01-17-2009 09:23 AM

My Mother was from Scotland and always said the Northwest reminded her of Scotland. We have been to Alaska and you will enjoy the sites.

largogirl 01-18-2009 08:54 AM

Hi Bentnail,

The northwest is like the northwest of Scotland - mountains, sea and sky but, as I said, the Rockies are on a grander scale . This is Scotland's "Homecoming Year" when all expat Scots and their descendants are invited to visit . I'm sur you'd love it , especially if you could see the place your Mother came from .