Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Fiebig:
However, I have to agree with Bobcat that this is a hidden surcharge, and I would have prefered it NCL had chosen to include the service charge in the overall cruise fare. It would have been a great opportunity to make a consumer-friendly change to the tipping system most of today's cruise lines have, but NCL failed to make that big step.
Well, only one cruise line has included service charges or gratutities in the overall cruise fare. That's Radisson! It's largest ship holds less than 1,000 passengers.
Gratuities included in cruise fare.

I ask, why should customers pay sale taxes on tips?

Those imposing an automatic $10/day service charge include
1) Holland American Lines.
Effective 5/9/04, $10 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders
2) Carnival
$10 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders.
3) Princess
$10 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders.
4) Norwegian
10.00 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders.
5) Cunard
$13-$15 per guest, per day (depending on cabin category) automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders
6) Oceania Cruises
$11.50-$14.50 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account, depending on cabin category. (Amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received.)
7) Costa
$8.50 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders

Those cruise lines that suggest a minimum tip include:
1) Celebrity
Cabin Steward/Butler, $3.50 per person/day. Chief Housekeeper, $0.50 per person/day. Waiter, $3.50 per person/day. Asst. Waiter, $2 per person/day. Maitre 'd, $0.75 per person/day.
Total= $10.25 per person per day.
2) Royal Caribbean
Waiter, $3.50 per person/day. Asst. waiter, $2 per person/day. Cabin steward, $3.50 per person/day. 15% tip included on beverage orders.
Total= $9.00 per person per day.
3) Disney
7-day cruise: Cabin Steward, $25.25 per person; Waiter, $25.75 per person; Asst. Waiter, $18.75 per person; Head Waiter, $6.50 per person. 15% tip included on beverage orders.
Total= $75.25 per person per week, or $10.75 oer oerson per day.
4) MSC
Waiter, $3.50-$5 per person/day; Maitre D', $1-$2 per person/day; Cabin steward, $3.50-$5 per person/day.
Total= $8 to $12 per person per day.
5) Crystal
Cabin Stewardess, $4 per person/day. Waiter, $4 per person/day. Asst. Waiter, $2.50 per person/day. Butler (Penthouse Deck only), $4 per person/day. 15% tip included on beverage orders.
Total= $10.50 to $14.50 per person per day.

Funny, more cruise lines are following Norwegian's lead than not.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
Well, only one cruise line has included service charges or gratutities in the overall cruise fare. That's Radisson! It's largest ship holds less than 1,000 passengers.
Gratuities included in cruise fare.

I ask, why should customers pay sale taxes on tips?
Ron,

many more than just one cruise line have gratuities included in the fare (including others on the U.S. market such as Seabourn, Windstar, Silversea etc.). I'm not talking about U.S. market cruise lines only but about those catering to other markets, as well.

It appears that you have misinterpreted the many postings I've made on this topic (also in other threads), so far. My point is the following: The cruise lines' service personnel deserve a proper pay (well, at least most do). Currently, most of this is paid directly by the passengers through the so-called gratuities. It is a matter of course that in the end the passengers must pay for this, but it is more than obvious that many first-time cruisers in particular are confused by many of the current "tipping policies", as they consider a tip what the definition of the word tip suggests.

If the service personnel's pay (not gratuities!!!) was included in the cruise fare, gratuities should still be permitted IMHO, but they should be fully voluntary and at a passenger's discretion. And most of all: They should be a reward for better-than-average service and not the kind of "moral blackmail" they are today. I'm sure most passengers would gladly tip, even if the crew's pay was included in the cruise fare. And, as you see, passengers would not have to pay sales tax on gratuties.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

Raoul
Again I agree with you on this. I couldn't have said it better myself.I think you have said it all this time, maybe this will help some of the others understand what tipping is all about, or supposed to be about shall we say.Again good job.Tom
Old 08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

I ask, why should customers pay sale taxes on tips?[/quote]

Quote:
Ron,
many more than just one cruise line have gratuities included in the fare (including others on the U.S. market such as Seabourn, Windstar, Silversea etc.). I'm not talking about U.S. market cruise lines only but about those catering to other markets, as well.
You're correct, I chose Radisson because it had the largest ship, up to almost 800 passengers. The other lines you mention ships have less than 500 passengers, some as little as 50 passengers. They're more like large yachts than cruise ships.

Quote:
It appears that you have misinterpreted the many postings I've made on this topic (also in other threads), so far. My point is the following: The cruise lines' service personnel deserve a proper pay (well, at least most do). Currently, most of this is paid directly by the passengers through the so-called gratuities.
It would be nice, but why change the industry drastically? Waiters at restaurants ashore are paid mostly by tips. Are you arguing that all ashore waiters should be paid a higher wage too?

I'm all in favor of paying the housekeepers more, I have never figure out why they should be paid by tips at sea, 'cause that's not how housekeepers are paid at most hotels ashore, but waiters in hotels and restaurants ashore are mostly paid by tips. I see no reason why waiters at sea should be paid differently than waiters ashore.

And it's not like Norweigan is operating alone, most cruise lines, either automatically or with suggested minimums, pay their service personnel with tips.

Closed Thread

Tags
average, charge, cruise, cruises, fee, gratuities, gratuity, gratuties, lines, ncl, norwegian, pppd, removed, service, sucks, suggested, tip, tipping