Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM

Just finished a cruise to Alaska on NCL and thought I would share some of my experiences on board the Norwegian Wind.

1. Photographers - NCL is very pushy with their photographers. They block off the entire line up of people and herd you past the photographers one group at a time so they can pose you either with a mascot or in front of a backdrop and take your picture. Everyone waits. It's like you don't have an option. Once we got to the front of the line, we declined the pictures and tried walking through. The mascot actually put his arm in front of us to block us from passing if you can believe that. Of course NCL then displays the pictures on board with hopes that you will buy them. Our kids joined the Kids Crew, which they enjoyed very much. But we were shocked and more than a little upset when we found out that the photographers had gone in and taken pictures of our kids without our permission or knowledge. We found out from our kids that this had happened.
2. Food - nice menu selection, nice presentation, nice service, but the food quality was poor. Additionally, they say "dine anywhere, anytime", that's not entirely true. You can dine anytime, but outside the standard meal times, all that is open is a pizza buffet.
3. Extra charges - Things like pilates and aerobics were an additional $10. Too many extra charges for things that should have been included.
4. NCL merchandise - there is too much push to buy crap with the NCL logo on it. Wait staff parades the stuff around and makes sure to ask everyone at least twice if they want to buy whatever they are selling. Very annoying.
5. Not enough to do during the days when not docked. They have a basketball and volleyball court, but you can't use it between 2:00 and 6:00 for some reason. These are the times that people would want to use it, why they would close it then is beyond me.
6. NCL owns or partly owns several of the stores at the three stops that we made (according to the local store owners). And they really try to push you to shop at these stores. Beware.
7. Shore Excursions - do not buy them through NCL. Go to shore and buy them from the tour companies there. NCL's prices were about 30% higher on some.
8. We had no problem getting hard liquor on board at each stop. Disguised in water bottles in backpack that was scanned. No problem.
9. Kids Crew - my kids loved it. Couldn't wait to get back to their new friends. My only complaint there was that the $10 per day per person gratuity didn't cover the Kids Crew staff for some reason. So we had to shell out more money. But it was worth it.
10. Staff - this was the highlight of the trip. We were treated VERY well by the staff. They go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Very good with the kids as well.
Overall, I was a bit disappointed. Unfortunately, having kids with us took away the opportunity to go to any of the evening shows, which are the best ones to see.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM

Just finished a cruise to Alaska on NCL and thought I would share some of my experiences on board the Norwegian Wind.

1. Photographers - NCL is very pushy with their photographers. They block off the entire line up of people and herd you past the photographers one group at a time so they can pose you either with a mascot or in front of a backdrop and take your picture. Everyone waits. It's like you don't have an option. Once we got to the front of the line, we declined the pictures and tried walking through. The mascot actually put his arm in front of us to block us from passing if you can believe that. Of course NCL then displays the pictures on board with hopes that you will buy them. Our kids joined the Kids Crew, which they enjoyed very much. But we were shocked and more than a little upset when we found out that the photographers had gone in and taken pictures of our kids without our permission or knowledge. We found out from our kids that this had happened.
2. Food - nice menu selection, nice presentation, nice service, but the food quality was poor. Additionally, they say "dine anywhere, anytime", that's not entirely true. You can dine anytime, but outside the standard meal times, all that is open is a pizza buffet.
3. Extra charges - Things like pilates and aerobics were an additional $10. Too many extra charges for things that should have been included.
4. NCL merchandise - there is too much push to buy crap with the NCL logo on it. Wait staff parades the stuff around and makes sure to ask everyone at least twice if they want to buy whatever they are selling. Very annoying.
5. Not enough to do during the days when not docked. They have a basketball and volleyball court, but you can't use it between 2:00 and 6:00 for some reason. These are the times that people would want to use it, why they would close it then is beyond me.
6. NCL owns or partly owns several of the stores at the three stops that we made (according to the local store owners). And they really try to push you to shop at these stores. Beware.
7. Shore Excursions - do not buy them through NCL. Go to shore and buy them from the tour companies there. NCL's prices were about 30% higher on some.
8. We had no problem getting hard liquor on board at each stop. Disguised in water bottles in backpack that was scanned. No problem.
9. Kids Crew - my kids loved it. Couldn't wait to get back to their new friends. My only complaint there was that the $10 per day per person gratuity didn't cover the Kids Crew staff for some reason. So we had to shell out more money. But it was worth it.
10. Staff - this was the highlight of the trip. We were treated VERY well by the staff. They go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Very good with the kids as well.
Overall, I was a bit disappointed. Unfortunately, having kids with us took away the opportunity to go to any of the evening shows, which are the best ones to see.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Not the Mamma- (From the Dinosaurs show?)

Most of what you point out here is pretty much the same deal on CCL as well except for the quality of the food (CCL has great food). The pictures thing sounds a little more of a pain too as while they are pushy with the pictures and seem to take one at every strange opportunity, I have never been forced to take one. I'm glad the Kids Crew thing worked well, mine will probably go a couple of times, but are just getting to the age where its not fun. Tipping the Kids Crew members is not part of the $10 a day tip because not everyone uses the kids crew. So it would be kind of unfair to have those that do not have kids on board to pay to tip them. And the only other thing would be the "things to do at sea" comment. There always seems to be something going on a CCL ship. But why you couldn't use the courts in the middle of the day is a mystery to me.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM

Hi Jim - I noticed you're going on the NCL Dream in October. We went on that very same cruise last year in October and we were very disappointed. Everything NotTheMamma said is true for the Dream also - however, to add to that - the night entertainment was okay (not the best but good enough), engine problems off and on, and a paint job that is very long overdue. Hopefully they'll get their priorites fixed before you go! Happy cruising!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM

CruiseMama-

Yeah, I'm not expecting a whole lot. We were supposed to go last March, When we booked it, it was fairly inexpensive and we were still not happy with Carnival's swapping of the ships for Katrina support and dropping us from our cruise. They cancelled our cruise and charged us more to sail the same cruise on the Conquest! (Because its bigger they felt like we should pay more)... Anyway when we book the NCL cruise, somehow the date I thought we booked and the date we actually got were not the same. it was too late to cancel and we agrued with them for a while. We finally got some of our money back with the rest on a "future" NCl cruise. So, we are going on this one to redeem that credit, but for the price we are paying, i really don't expect much. I will go and have a good time... as I know you get what you pay for. next time... I may try a RCCL ship...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread