Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 06:43 AM

1. Is the Spirit wifi?

2. Can Latitudes members get through embarkation easier (NYC)?

3. How much alcohol can I bring on board, and what kind?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

!. Yes the Spirit has Wifi capabilities.
But you'll only be able to log on to it in public spaces. NCL charges you the same as being at the Internet Cafe. You'll only save money on renting the notebooks and Wifi cards if you brought your own.
2. There's a seperate lines for Latitude members. Often that line is as long as the first time cruiser lines.
3. Wine only is allowed to be brought aboard. A $15 corkagte fee applies for every 1 litre bottle of wine.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks, Ron! I wonder what embarkation is like at the pier in NYC. Any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

That depends on how many other ships are embarking passengers. The more ships the more crowded it gets. For New York, they start embarking passengers between noon to 1 o'clock.

The entire process, after they start embarking passengers takes about an hour at most. Many report getting on the ship in less than half an hour.

Have a great cruise.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

I've cruised out of New York several times, and my experience is exactly that Ron described.

Disembarking is another matter, though, if you plan to take a taxi. Depending upon the number of ships in port that day, the wait for a taxi can exceed an hour. After enduring this wait after one cruise, we now collect our bags and walk out of the terminal away from the pier, and usually find a taxi within minutes.

Enjoy your cruise. I can't wait to hear about Norwegian Spirit as it's one we're considering.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:33 PM

LisaP: the best indication of how I feel about the Spirit is the fact that I was on her the exact same week last year and I am neither a) retired or b) a millionaire. GREAT ship, IMHO. Very understated in terms of decor, very easy to get around, the Freestyle Cruising thing is low key and almost... anonymous. The cliche about cruises being places where you can do as little or as much as you like is so true on the Spirit.

It is a quirky ship. The staff is very helpful and friendly but you don't get the sense that they are in constant fear for their jobs the way I did on Carnival last summer. The officers hang out drinking in the Galaxy of the Stars at night. They are kind of an odd bunch- Finns and Norwegians.

I can't describe this ship. I have tried http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...anSpirit14.htm but I hope that one day Nancy or Karen or Tom or Dave will give it a whack and confirm whether or not this is the SS Twin Peaks or if it is just me.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Carlalena. I hadn't realized that you had been on Norwegian Spirit previously. I am attracted to the itineraries from New York. Years ago, my grandparents used to cruise from NYC to the Bahamas in the winter. I am glad we now have that same chance (although on a cruise ship and not a liner, but I can live with that...I think).

We've been on many NCL cruises over the years, but have yet to try one of the newer ships. I did, however, tour Norwegian Jewel this past autumn and was impressed. Like you said, pax can do as little or as much as they'd like.

I agree completely about the NCL crew. It also astounds me as to how long many of them have been with the line. On our Norwegian Majesty cruise last summer, we recognized one of the maitre d's as our waiter on the Dreamward ten years earlier. Once we started chatting, he recalled that our previous trip had been with my husband's parents -- who were not with us this time around -- and he asked how they were doing.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:20 PM

I just pack some booze in my suitcase. With socks and shirts around the bottle. They let me take on a case of drinks last year. Packed in an overnight roll-on. Put some bottled water or cokes on top. They really never looked inside the case. I was going to tell them that I needed the water for my medications. Nobody asked. Some people put Vodka in water bottles. Just pour out the Poland Springs and fill with a clear beverage. Looks like water!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:46 AM

Will there be any need to pre pack fruit cordial for the kids or is there free juice on board. i'm going on the Jewel and i've also heard that free ice cream can be got from machines on the pool deck. any ideas anyone?
ann
Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

There's free juices available at all the restuarants. The buffet/cafeteria is open the longest, but juices are only available there during the morning breakfast meal.

Closed Thread