Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

We went to Belize, Cosumel, Roatan and we were rerouted (due to weather) to Nassau because of weather in the Great Stirrup Cay. This trip was in November '07 (a few months ago.)

This was my first cruise with Freestyle so I thought I'd give my impressions. For dining it is fabulous! We were on the Norwegian Sun and the dining experience was as dining should be. You eat when you are hungary and tables are set up as any fine dining room, allowing two people or a family to sit alone or with friends or strangers if you wish but it is your call. I found it much more intimate. That alone will cause me to cruise Norwegian again, and again, and again. This option alone makes it feel like a luxury resort where you make the call.

We opted to dress up on dress up night but we didn't have to. Casual resort would have worked just as well as our friends who opted not to dress up proved. We sat together, us in evening dress, them in casual resort. Neither had more fun than the other so it is on you to decide.

A few notes:

We did place one bottle of alcohol (JD) in the checkin luggage to start our trip. Someone told us to just put one, single fifth there and cross our fingers. When the luggage arrived good old JD was still there.

This cruise I didn't study the places we were going to so well so I relied on tours. Mistake. In those short stops signing up for a tour can eat up all the time and you miss the culture, smells, and experiencing the areas.

We did book one tour online and not through the ship. The tour guide was excellent and the cost was less than half of the ship tour. We did the cave tubing in Belize this way.

Aside from all of this, just know I love this line and Freestyle is the way to go! Happy Cruising!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by marylb:
We went to Belize, Cosumel, Roatan and we were rerouted (due to weather) to Nassau because of weather in the Great Stirrup Cay. This trip was in November '07 (a few months ago.)

This was my first cruise with Freestyle so I thought I'd give my impressions. For dining it is fabulous! We were on the Norwegian Sun and the dining experience was as dining should be. You eat when you are hungary and tables are set up as any fine dining room, allowing two people or a family to sit alone or with friends or strangers if you wish but it is your call. I found it much more intimate. That alone will cause me to cruise Norwegian again, and again, and again. This option alone makes it feel like a luxury resort where you make the call.

We opted to dress up on dress up night but we didn't have to. Casual resort would have worked just as well as our friends who opted not to dress up proved. We sat together, us in evening dress, them in casual resort. Neither had more fun than the other so it is on you to decide.

A few notes:

We did place one bottle of alcohol (JD) in the checkin luggage to start our trip. Someone told us to just put one, single fifth there and cross our fingers. When the luggage arrived good old JD was still there.

This cruise I didn't study the places we were going to so well so I relied on tours. Mistake. In those short stops signing up for a tour can eat up all the time and you miss the culture, smells, and experiencing the areas.

We did book one tour online and not through the ship. The tour guide was excellent and the cost was less than half of the ship tour. We did the cave tubing in Belize this way.

Aside from all of this, just know I love this line and Freestyle is the way to go! Happy Cruising!
Whereas Freestyle Cruising isn't for everyone, it's appears to be perfect for you, and me.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Marylb:

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the NCL cruise. We are loyal NCL cruisers and just came off the Diamond Princess (Princess lines). There was NO comparison to NCL. On the Princess we choose ANYTIME dining the clone to NCL's freestyle dining. The average wait on Princess was 45 minutes and had to get a beeper with LED lights to signal us when the table was ready.

We have found NCL to be superior in quality, service, food selection, entertainment over Princess. We are scheduled for the Sun later this year for the Mexican Riveria. Once we got back from the Diamond Princess cruise to Hawaii, we began immediately searching for our NCL fix. We can't wait to get on another NCL ship.

To us NCL is the best.

Richard & Mary
Platinum NCL Lattitudes
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

I agree Ron but then again I think the freestyle aspect makes it hard to not love it.

Richard & Mary great that you are going on the Sun and I assume visiting the same spots we saw. I truly enjoyed it. We're going on the Carnival Spirit next month (February 2nd) but I may regret not having the freestyle option. At no meal setting did we have to wait for a table on the Sun and most of the time we went with dinner for 2 so that was a pleasant surprise. The service was outstanding without exception. Welcome home and bon voyage for your future adventure.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:43 PM
FREESTYLE is the only way to go for me....We've been on most of the other lines and one by one they are putting in some type of FREESTYLE dining....it only makes sense with the changing environment and the overall type of people cruising....If I want to dress up, I do, and it's up to me if I don't....but it all comes down to personal choice...and that's the way it should be....to me Cruising is the best form of vacation and travel....and of course it's addicting....Happy Crusing to one and all...

Bob E
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 AM

Berick I'm with you on all counts. We love cruising because it allows you to see several spots on the same trip and discover places you may want to fly back to and spend a week or two in. The highlight though is that from the moment the ship leaves, all stress stays on shore and you fully relax. I highly recommend a cruise for those who have pressure jobs or lives. One week or two of cruising does a lot of stress healing. The biggest problem on board is deciding what to eat, what to see, and what form of entertainment to select. How great is that? lol

Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, cruisng, crusing, dress, free, freestyle, reviews, style