Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Hi, My wife and I will take our first cruise on the Norwegien Majesty in October up to Canada and New England.

We both use CPAP machines. Should I bother notifying NCL about this beforehand ?

We're really looking forward to the trip but I already I have the feeling I'm going to be nickled and dimed to death and that may take away some of the enjoyment. I suppose all the lines are the same way.

If we buy the softdrink package, is it worth it? I saw one negative comment about "good luck finding anybody to get a software drnink for you."
Old 09-15-2008, 02:53 PM
There will be many opportunities for you to spend money over and above your cruise fare; whether or not you take advantage of those opportunities is entirely up to you.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Lansdaledon

Welcome to cruise-chat. I don't know what a CPAP machine is but it sounds like maybe you have a special needs and you do need to contact the cruise line. If you booked with a TA they can help you. This may help you.

Please don't believe all the negative you read on cruise sites. I just returned from the NCL Sky today. I sat and watched the bartender yesterday for over an hour happily with a smile, serving a constant flow of customers with coke cards. He was the only one working the bar in the morning and he was very busy between cokes, and morning bloody marys. Be patient the crew work very hard.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM

First Welcom aboard.
I have not cruised NCL. I have cruised others and I do not inform them of my cpap. It does give the scanner a head ache sometimes. Be sure to bring an extension cored and maybe a power strip. Usually their is just one outlet and it is a few feet away.

We use the soda cards on Princess and Carnival, they are not worth it on HAL. Hopefully someone will jump in here that know about NCL.
Enjoy your cruise!!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
We both use CPAP machines. Should I bother notifying NCL about this beforehand ?
You can, but it isn't necessary. As Gary notes, they are more of a hassle for the people at the security check point. I would definitely notify the security people before putting the CPAP devices in the x-ray machine.

For those wondering, CPAP stands for continuous positive airway pressure. It is a device worn during sleep by those with sleep apnea, although it does have other applications.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 PM

BTW we usually cruise in a balcony. The night stands are not big enough for the cpap. We store our luggage under the bed and leave on end of a suitcase out to put the cpap on.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM
You'll be "nicke-n-dimed" only if you allow yourself to be. Our last cruise, our bill at checkout time was $192 - which included $140 for the gratuities... which means we only spent $52 on board for the week. I don't know about the soda cards on NCL - so I can't help you there. Just avoid the "gold by the inch" and the art auction and you should be OK....
Old 09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
BTW,

My wife uses an oxygen concentrator and we did have to let NCL know we were bringing it aboard...but...we've been on 6 or 7 cruises since and didn't notify NCL...as long as it's not bottled oxygen, there should be no problem...but You will have to take it out of it's case at the airport for the TSA people....they will give it a search....I don't know about a CPAP, but for the concentrator it has to plug it directly into the outlet...and you probably should get a doctor's order for the use of the machine...NCL had a form to be filled out by our doctor indicating it's use....about the nickel and dime stuff.....it's up to you to spend the money...they just give you the opportunity...but remember, you are on vacation and spending money is part of the fun...Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Be sure to bring an extension cored and maybe a power strip. Usually their is just one outlet and it is a few feet away.
I agree. My husband uses a CPAP and an extension cord was a must. A power strip would be better as we are talking about two CPAPs in this case. You don't need to notify NCL, but you might want to find out if they can supply distilled water...for a fee. (We just had that on HAL.) You can ask your TA to arrange this through NCL.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
We had to bring our own distilled water in our checked baggage....we bought a special bottle and then put it into a gallon freezer bag and in side a bag and inside a third bag to fight any leakage.....but you could check with NCL or your TA if they've changed their policy on not supplying distilled water....Happy cruising....

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
bartenders, carribean, cpap, cruise, lansdale, line, lines, machin, machine, machines, ncl, norwegian, oxygen, royal, sky