Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 PM

From what I can see, Americans do not have what it takes to work on ships. Because the pay is low it's hard to staff a ship with quality people who have good work ethics. The Americans go to the ship looking for fun and adventure, and working hard is not a priority. I worked on the foreign flagged vessels where the crew comes from all over the world, and their priority is to work hard to make money, and get promotions. I was one of only about twenty Americans on the ships where I worked. I was an officer with a good paying position a single cabin, and access to all areas of the ship at all times, so for me life on ships was good. The stories I heard from my friends was the Americans on Pride of Aloha had bad attitudes and it showed. I'll admit there were times when I had a bad attitude too but I never let it show, or affect my job performance. The key to survival for me was drinking, and meeting girls, passengers and crew. But my work always came first just like the rest of the international crew. Here is what I heard was going on, and this came from my friends who went to the American flagged vessels. There were reports of rape, fighting, gangbanging,drug use and graffiti. It came to a point where they had to close the crew bar to restrict drinking, and the FBI was called in to investigate these claims. I've been out of touch so I do not know if this has changed or not. I was suppose to go to POA and was not looking forward to it. Living on a ship may seem glamorous, but most of the crew are treated as if they were indentured servants. The travel is great, the friendships are true and everyone got along on the foreign flagged ships. I hear it was not so on the American ships. So in a nutshell, that's it.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 PM

I still follow the thread. I had my own experience with NCL and needless to say, I did not take the job
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 PM

susanvs59,

Don't hold back, tell us more.....

tuica
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM

hey guys,

i also had lived on the pride of aloha but only for 6 very short weeks, i had to leave home early due to a knee problem, somehow i had twisted it and now i am in recovery. but what i wanted to let you guys know was that my experience was a plus, i loved it all the way!!! yes you have to be a hard worker and not a slacker, but the beauty and experience you get from the whole trip id well worth the work. the poeple on the ship is mostly very friendly and you make friends fast and i mean fast. you have lots of fun. of course there are the people who are never happy and always trying to bring other people attetude down, so you just don't hang around them. but other wise i am sad that i couldn't stay anylonger on the ship. i miss it everyday. its either for you or not for you, and you will know that right away.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 PM

My bad experience started and I never even got on a ship. I arrived at Piney Point Maryland for the training. I arrived on the day they told me to arrive and no one was there to meet me so one of the drivers from the sea farers union picked me up when he picked up some of the guys from there. So anyway, I report tell them I am only there for a week and they say no you are here for two weeks, I tell them no I am not and they continue to ignore me. I already had a return airline ticket so I KNEW they were wrong, however who ever (Eric) was in charge there was not listening to me so they put me in the wrong class and I was not finished with my training when I needed to be. His fault, not mine.....then they want me to return for training......NO WAY!! It was there mistake, not mine. Had they apologized perhaps I would have returned but they continued to act as if it was all my fault. Well I am a professional with a degree in nursing and I was taking a huge pay cut to even do this. I decided the company just was not organized or professional enough for me so when I returned home I did not pursue the job there. Thank goodness I had not resigned from my current job and that I had only taken vacation to go out there.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM

well, all i can say is that everyone has there own oppinion, and each story has two sides to them, im not saying your wrong but maybe you were a bit harsh on them from the start and gave them a hard time. i mean they are doing there best and just started the training program not too long ago at piney point. and so well anyways every one has there say, and my experience right from the begining was great cause i got the job witha friend it was all her idea and i thought what the ehck why not so we went hoping to be on the same ship and same class and that we wouldn't be separated. the first day well sunday in orientaion we had told Eric that me and my friend got the job together and that we wanted to do this together, in the paperwork they had already put us on two different ships cause my passport wasnt ready, so i was gonna go on the aloha and my friend was gonna go on the america, but we ended up doing everything together we even shared the same room in the ship which was great cause we were right there to support each other and be there for each other, neither of us where ever away from home like that. so alli can say, is they work in your favor if you are nice and have a rgeat attitude thats the first thing you learn there if ytou dont have a good attitude you will be sent home right away and i have seen it happen, even on the 2nd or 3rd day, people had no respect and they got sent home, thats whats this business is all about great attitude working together and respect if you dont have that then dont even bother trying. it will not work out. its a hard lesson i learned but i am thankful for what i learned there and will always keep it.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Great thread. I never really thought about having access to the entire ship as being important, but see now that it would be huge if you worked on one. For the employees without any access to the passenger/public areas, the experience must be quite different?

Tom
Old 11-10-2005, 07:12 PM

well i was on the pride of aloha andthat ship used to be like the sky or something like that i forget exactly which one. but pretty mush we had our own area where we can go and hang out and be, only the managers and higher up people could be in the theaters and bars and and stuff. all thou they do give us times to have our own parties and make it as much like at home as possible. i mean we are not slaves that is our home and we do make the best of it. sorry but i am totaly against people who say that americans dont work as hard as the international ships. wake up crusers, this is our job our home and yes we work for you but we are not slaves. if you start this job in a happy and exciting mood you will survive and have fun working its like that everywhere if your stuck up or in a foul mood any job even on land you will say that is not good enough for you, what is it are you the high and mighty that everyone has to kiss your butt. i had fun and i enjoyed the ncl job i wish to go back next summer if i will be able to. we had fun and a great team. they even made a night for employees all of us to go up to the blue hawaii and have fun. they do stuff like that for there employees all the time. its just most of the time youwork and you have to be professinal too. so i understand.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 PM

luds, I so appreciate your post. I have seen people on cruises treat staff like trash. It irks me when this happens and I want to slap the people that do it. Do you think that this might be part of any problems that might exist?

Tom
Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 PM

you know i really think that most of the people already make up there mind to be dissapointed befor they even get on the cruise ships, just so that maybe they think we'll if i complain about service or attitude withthe workers i'll get something extra out of it, like a gift or money back. i mean if you think about it people now a day are sooo greedy that they will do anything. i think that this will always be a problem in life on the ship, but and there really isn't anyway to solve it cause there are all kinds of people on this earth. but the thing that is most noticable is that i think the best workers are the middle age groups, not too old cause they are worn out from life its self and not too young because they dont understand what patience or self controls is yet. so i think that we as employees have to just not let it ruin our days and say hell you know what this is about there bad day and not mine so they can all go to hell and not let it bring your day down to their level"in our minds or course, you cant say that to the passengers out loud". but then if it truelly is a problem you can fix then by all means fix it. i understand when something is lost or broken or something went wrong i might be upset if i was in there place.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, employement, employment, junior, line, liner, long, norwegian, norweigan, personal, pride, ships, staf, waiter, worker