Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 PM

In reply to Tom's comment about crew being traeted like trash. It comes from passengers, and higher ranking crew members as well. For example a co-worker on the ship who works at the front desk was told by her male supervisor that he could make her life on the ship much easier if she were willing to do certain things for him. When she rejected him she ended up with the shifts that most pepople do not like to work, and was constantly being yelled at by this suppervisor, and this is not an isolated incident. As far as the passengers some can be very demanding. This crew member also has to spend the day trying to help passengers with thier issues, and it's one after another after another. People want free stuff, upgrades and refunds because there is something the ship that is not to their satisifaction. I had a passenger screaming at me one time because she insisted that there was a natural gas leak and she could smell it in her cabin and she wanted an upgrade. I told here there is NO natural gas on the ship whatsoever. I went to her room with her and could smell nothing unusual, and of course reported it to the chief engineer who looked at me like I was crazy. For the most part we are used to being treated like dirt by passengers and we can take it. Some days the passenegers wear us down to a point where we get upset, and then we take it out on each other, or go someplace and drink untill we are stupid and then laugh about it. Then we wake up the next day feeling bad from drinking and our attitude is not 100%. Also the women working on the ship are constantly being propositioned by passengers, and crew too. But they deal with it. When these things go on day after day, and you are working ten hour days, and you have been on the ship 8 months with two months to go until vacation you start to break down a little bit and each day it gets more difficult to report to work and be happy. Yes, we get shore leave privlages, but alot of crew members just want to sleep when they have time off. You can get off the ship for 6 or 8 hours, but then it is straight back to work. As an officer I treated everyone with respect. Never yelled at anyone. If I see something wrong I talked to the crew member like they were my brother, I listened to them talk no matter how long they talked, and offered suggestions on how to avoid problems. What I think the ships could use is a counselor, someone crew could talk to in confidence and that person would report to the home office where policy changes can be made. There are lots of stories to tell, but I have babbled on long enough.

regards,

Tuica
Old 11-12-2005, 04:10 PM

Tuica: I hear what you are saying. You might want to check the "Ten bucks? That's OUTRAGEOUS!" thread in the general cruise chat forum. I put a few links in my original post that might interest you. You may also want to read "Devils and the Deep Blue Sea." Eye opener for most but it sounds like you know what time it is.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:03 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm a new hire to NCLA and i was wondering if anyone could answer these questions for me: first i'm looking to bring my laptop on board and i was wondering if anyone knew how the internet connections work on the ship. Second how big are the lockers in the rooms? or does it depend on the ship? third does anyone know how the direct deposit works for our pay? do we have to sign up with the First Hawaiian or can we stay with our own bank? last question do we get any time off between Maryland and Hawaii? I'm leaving on December 15th, and i'm quite nervous. thank you all for you time.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Hey there:

I checked out the internet connections with the internet provider on board and it is costly, but that is up to you. From what I understand it is cheaper to go on shore and go to an internet cafe and use the computers there. You might want to check with say verizon and see if they have any suggestions as well.

Secondly....most of the time the people that I saw while I was in Maryland was not getting to go home between Maryland and Hawaii. It was not the case for everyone, but for most. If when you finished the training in Maryland there was not a spot for you on one of the ships, they just kept you in Maryland until there was a spot available for you. Work hard, do well, have a good attitude and you will get a spot sooner.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:03 PM

[quote]Originally posted by PaganChef:
third does anyone know how the direct deposit works for our pay? do we have to sign up with the First Hawaiian or can we stay with our own bank?

As for the bank direct deposit....my check was deposited at my bank here in Texas. I did not have to open any other account.

Just be prepared that you will have to join the union if you are not an officer. Most of the recruits were not told that and they were really upset because of the union dues and fees.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:14 PM

thank you for that information. May i ask how much your union dues are?

also do you reckon how much the internet connection fees are?

i apolgize for asking so many questions it's just that i'm nervous and i want to cover all my bases before leaving home. thanks again!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:27 PM

the union dues are 200 some. they will take $16. from the first paycheck and then 7 or 9 depending on how much you made. the only internet connection on trhe ship is thru satellite. you can buy a internet card for 20 bucks. it costs about 10 cents per minute. also the phone cards are pretty spendy too on the ship. and those are20 bucks for 45 minutes. so i say if you got a cellplan that works in hawaii thats cool, other wise buy a phone card in sams club or some place lik ethat. thatit should come with like over a 1000 minutes. because let me tell you those payphones take minutes for charge too. the lockers on the ship, depends on where your room is. i got lucky and i was one of those that got a room in the passanger area. our room was huge compared to the other rooms. and i loved it.but the lockers are like 2 of your high school lockers. the best idea i was told when i got there go to wal mart and get your self one of those closet shelves that hang from the hanger, so that you can keep your cloths organized. also don't plan on taking lots of make up and body stuff. cause the bathrooms are pretty small and plus u gotta share it. also they will not send anyone home between maryland and hawaii. by the way what kind of job wil you be doing? and do you know which ship ur going on? if its pride of A. then you are luckier then i was because i hear they have the best stuff for employees now and the rooms are a little bigger. and they have more employee hang out places. good luck and have lots of fun.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Im just finished my interview. I am suppose to leave for maryland when I finish my assessment buT i am trying to find the link. I have heard good and bad things about it but I want to learn for myself.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:06 PM

Good luck, Clover. Keep in touch if you can, and tell us how it's going. Do you know to which ship you will be assigned?

Sandy
Old 06-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Maryland had alot of positives and only one bad that I can think of. Maybe he is not there anymore.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, employement, employment, junior, line, liner, long, norwegian, norweigan, personal, pride, ships, staf, waiter, worker