Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 PM

Hi all,
My daughter recently applied for and got a job to work on an NCL cruise line in Hawaii. I am just wondering if any employees or former employees can shed some light on employement conditions and what to expect. We have not yet taken a cruise, so this is very new to us.
Thank you !!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:48 AM

I don't think you will find many crew members visit this site, but I can suggest you go to http://www.crewconnected.com . That site is devoted to crew members keeping in contact and has a chat room.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-10-2005, 10:39 AM

Hi Sunseeker & daughter!

I will also be working for NCLA and I too have never been on a cruise ship. So I guess were "in the same boat". I've also tried to get the same kind of info but only one replied. Read "new ncla employee" under the ncl tab. A little light was shed, but I basically just keep hearing the same from others.... The good: crew gym, crew lounge, crew internet cafe, save LOTS of money, get off boat when in port. The not so good: small sleeping quarters, LONG hours, 4-6 months assignment periods.

For me, I look it as an adventure. I've heard of several people going back for their second and even third assignment. So, it cant be THAT bad, right? When is your training scheduled for? I leave for Maryland on June 17th. Hope to see you there!

Kristi Ringis
Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Thanks so much for your reply's Nancy and Kristi. I will make sure to check out that site Nancy My daughter was just hired on so needs to get her physical next week. I think we will find out when she will leave for Maryland once that is completed. You may both very well end up on the same boat!

I wish you much fun and success on your new job Kristi. It should be quite an adventure. I was in Hawaii 23 years ago and it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

Have fun and happy cruising, thanks again to both of you

Hilde
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 PM

NCLA is a large corporation going through growing pains. The Prideo of Aloha and soon, the America has an all US crew, and therefore subject to US labor laws, that NCLA seems to consider burdensome. I was a former employee on the Aloha and had to leave because of lack of Medical services when I had an emergency. I, personally am very upset at the company for what they put me through, but I seem to be the few and far between case. I do dearly miss the Ship and my friends that I made there and part of me wishes I could go back.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 PM

adrift, Did You know Colin Kerr? Is there any way to get in touch with cruise director via email?

Stewy
Look What I can Do!!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:12 AM

Hey Kristi:

I want to wish you luck on your training. Would really like to know what you do there in Maryland. Are you going to Piney Point?? I took my physical today and then I too shall be off to Maryland in the near future for training. It is thought that I will be put on the Pride of Aloha on the 7th of August.

Susan

Quote:
Originally posted by Krumcake:
Hi Sunseeker & daughter!

I will also be working for NCLA and I too have never been on a cruise ship. So I guess were "in the same boat". I've also tried to get the same kind of info but only one replied. Read "new ncla employee" under the ncl tab. A little light was shed, but I basically just keep hearing the same from others.... The good: crew gym, crew lounge, crew internet cafe, save LOTS of money, get off boat when in port. The not so good: small sleeping quarters, LONG hours, 4-6 months assignment periods.

For me, I look it as an adventure. I've heard of several people going back for their second and even third assignment. So, it cant be THAT bad, right? When is your training scheduled for? I leave for Maryland on June 17th. Hope to see you there!

Kristi Ringis
Old 06-17-2005, 02:13 AM

Hey, would love to know what happened to you. I am a nurse that is schedule to go on board in August. I really would like to know. Maybe it is something that can be changed in the future.

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrift:
NCLA is a large corporation going through growing pains. The Prideo of Aloha and soon, the America has an all US crew, and therefore subject to US labor laws, that NCLA seems to consider burdensome. I was a former employee on the Aloha and had to leave because of lack of Medical services when I had an emergency. I, personally am very upset at the company for what they put me through, but I seem to be the few and far between case. I do dearly miss the Ship and my friends that I made there and part of me wishes I could go back.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Is anyone still following this thread? I am a former shipboard employee and I can give some insite if there is still intrest. I worked on the foreign flagged vessels as an officer and was scheduled to go to Pride of America. I was in contact with many of my co-workers who went to POA and some of the stories I heard were frightning. I was about to tell my story but I noticed this thread is 4 months old so I don't know if anyone is still interested. If enough people are interested I can tell you about it.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:23 AM

Hi Tuica,

I know from other threads, that informations about POA or Pride of Hawaii are still important.
I also heard terrible things and that would be a reason not to go on one of these ships.
But the itineraries are fine, so lets hear some inside information, please.

Take a look at the thread: YOur hawaiian cruise sucks and you can read how people were disappointed. Maybe you should write in this thread.

Best regards, Marita

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, employement, employment, junior, line, liner, long, norwegian, norweigan, personal, pride, ships, staf, waiter, worker