Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM

I just posted a MEGA review of the Norwegain Star in Alaska. Check it out if you are thinking about this ship. Visit the review here.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...gianStar36.htm

Enjoy.

Tom
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM

I just posted a MEGA review of the Norwegain Star in Alaska. Check it out if you are thinking about this ship. Visit the review here.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...gianStar36.htm

Enjoy.

Tom
Old 09-22-2004, 08:41 PM

I just read your review of the Norwegian Star, and I'm getting ready to go on a Mexican cruise on the 26th of September on that ship. I had a question re: the specialty restaurants; I know there is a cover charge on some of them (varies from $10-$15?), but how much extra are the "a-la-carte" items? One of your meals, you said you paid $15 to get in, and you had lobster which was $20--what I'm wondering is, was the lobster an ADDITIONAL $20, making for $35 total? And do you know if the charge is the same for children for the cover? Thanks, your review was so helpful, and made me so excited for this weekend!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:32 AM

The ala carte price includes the service fee. So if the service fee was $15 and the ala catre item $20, the $20 would include the service fee.

You will have a great time, but be sure to budget for the alternative restaurants.

Tom
Old 09-30-2004, 03:43 PM

Hi Tom just read your review on the Norweigan Star,I am sailing on her in December and was wondering can you book the speciality restaurants before you board the ship? Also if you have to wait until you are on board can you book for the whole week on day 1 or is it only 24 hours before? Am a little worried as normally travel with Royal caribbean and the reviews don't seem to be as good with NCL.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:11 PM

I, too, just got off the Star. You could only book specialty restaurants for that day or the next. Actually the only restaurant we had any trouble making reservations for at our desired time and day was the Teppanyaki Room.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-01-2004, 03:42 AM

nancy,many thanks for your comments how did you find the Mexican Riveria cruise? Where NCl up to the same standard as Royal Caribbean and how did you find the main dining rooms.I am taking 5 people for my dads 60th so am a little stressed as trying to make it as perfect as possible.Any tips you can give me would be greatly apprechiated.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:27 AM

Jetboy,
I was on the Star for an Alaska cruise, but I have recently done the Mexican Riviera on both Celebrity and RC. One of the good things about your cruise on the Star is the length of time in ports. It is nice that the itinerary has you staying late in Acapulco (since nighttime is when this city really gets revved up) and a good portion of the day in Cabo (make sure to spend some time on Mendano Beach and order the fish tacos at "The Office" - on the beach). Check out the information on both of these ports at PortReviews.com

As for comparing Royal Caribbean and NCL - I am afraid NCL doesn't quite measure up. The Star is absolutely beautiful and the staff for the most part were very helpful and friendly. The problem with NCL is that it lacks consistency. While the public rooms are impressive, the cabin was quite small and unimpressive. The food is another prime example: Since we ate most of our evening meals at the specialty restaurants, the food was great. On the few occassions we ate in the main dining room(s) - it was a major disappointment and I did not choose to repeat the experience. However, the fish and chips at the Red Lion Pub and Blue Lagoon were a major bonus; the sushi was the best my friends had ever tasted at sea (I can't attest to that since sushi is not my thing) but the burgers may have been among the worst. I could go on an on, but I think you get the picture.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, caribbean, cruise, dining, food, forums, norwegian, powered, restaurant, restaurants, resturants, reviews, speciality, specialty, star, vbulletin