Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I am cruising on the NCL Pearl next week. Yes, on Pearl Harbor Day, by coincedence.

I am excited. I can't wait.

I have a few questions (especially to those of you who have cruised on the Pearl):

• I hear that the Pearl has a bowling alley. If so, do they require bowling shoes to be used? I would rather use my own bowling shoes rather than renting them from the ship. I can easily bring those shoes along with me on the cruise.
  • I am cruising solo on this cruise. Would I look out of place going to the specialty restaurants?
  • I hope to bring my laptop along to email my friends at home during the cruise. How good is the wireless network onboard[/list]
    Any additional advice or suggestions from previous Pearl cruisers would be deeply appreciated. I suppose this would include previous NCL cruisers, too.

Wish me well on my upcoming cruise. I wish you all well on your upcoming cruises too. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 AM

Frase, I haven't sailed the Pearl, but if I were you, I'd bring my shoes. I hate wearing rentals, and I've tried bowling without bowling shoes on. It's a disaster.

The wireless on any ship is marginal at best. Satellite technology is still in its infancy when it comes to reliability. In port will be better than at sea. But most of the ships I've been on are using wireless B at best and optimum speed is 11MB. So, my suggestion is to type up your message in notepad and copy and paste it into your email.

For dining on your own, I wouldn't be the least bit uncomfortable going into a specialty restaurant by myself. They will seat you at a table without a neon sign flashing. They will wait on you and bring you wonderful food. They will offer you after dinner coffee and desert. They will converse with you like you are a normal human being. I've done it before and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. And who knows, you just might meet someone to share a meal with. But it certainly isn't a requirement!

Have a fantastic cruise! Bon Voyage
Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Fraze,

I will be going on the Pearl for the 2nd time in January...Great Ship....Bring your own shoes if it makes you more comfortable...The alleys are nice, but not as good as land based....but the are fun...I think it's around $4-$5 a line..
Wireless isn't that great and it's Expensive...
You can buy online packages, but to me it's not worth the effort....Enjoy the sun and sea instead:-)...On the promanade deck, there are great lounge chairs...grab one and take in some rays, sea breeze and salt spray....I'm going to...Enjoy any restaurant you choose, and happy sailing......

Bob E
Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Thank you Penny and Berick for your reply.

Penny, that would really be bad if they sitted you at a table with a flashing neon sign. Especially with a neon sign that said "This person is alone"
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 AM

I've been in restaurants where they have treated me like that. Being an only child and single for most of my life, I have eaten many meals alone. I loathed the host(ess) that would give me the "look" when I said, "One please". I'm hungry, not diseased or an alien

Closed Thread