Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM

Okay, my husband and I are planning a cruise in February of this year on NCL (Majesty). Can anyone tell me how much we should plan for drinks/basic excursions/parking/tipping/etc... I don't want to suddenly feel caught with my pants down at the end of the cruise because we didn't plan enough money for the extras. Also as a first-time cruiser is NCL a good choice or is there another line that might be better suited for us? We are in our mid 30's and fairly quiet (not big partiers).

Thanks for the help!
Bobbie
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 AM

Hi Bobbie,

I think NCL is a good choice for your first cruise.
Extra costs for tipping are about 10 $ per day and person. Drinks: beer about 3 $, Cocktail about 5 $, sodas about 2 $, shore excursions: difficult to say, but you can check this on the NCL site:
http://www.ncl.com/shorex/index.htm#
and then click on the destination you want to go and check out the shore excursions they offer.
They have Freestyle-Cruising, that means, open seating every evening. You have the choice from different restaurants on the ship and the dress code is not as formal as on other lines.
Another good choice is Royal Caribbean, we love the Radiance Class with the Jewel, Brilliance and Radiance.
But check out some cruise-reviews, they can help you a lot.

Good luck
Marita

Old 12-02-2005, 12:50 PM

You also don't need to bring a lot of cash with you, as all your onboard expenses, including drinks, gratuities, shore excursions, and gift shop purchases, are charged to your shipboard account. You establish that when you embark on your cruise, and the best way is to use a credit card for that.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:58 AM

A good idea is to bring 50-100 $1's with you. That way you can tip, buy bottled water on shore, etc., AND you can bargain well with the local merchants (much more convincing to bargain an $8 item down to $5 when you are holding 5 $1's than when you are standing there with a $20).

When I say "tip" I am referring to the porters, taxi drivers, etc. You can also use these $1's to tip the room service guys and the bartenders. You might want to troll around for other threads about gratuities on this site. If you can't find what you're looking for I will look for you.

NCL is the perfect choice for you!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:30 PM

I love the tip about the $1s! That is a great idea, as there are plenty of needs for them.

I haven't been on NCL but I would imagine the money you need wouldn't vary too much by cruiseline. My husband and I don't book too many shipboard excursions and we enjoy the odd drink, the odd photo or other souvenir on ship, and come away with a bill of between $300-500 at the end of the trip.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 12-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Thank you all so much for your help. It sounds like we should expect around $500 in extras. Your entire site is very helpful in answering lots of questions that first-time cruisers have about the "procedures".
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 AM

I hope this suggestion helps. If you & hubby like to drink wine & the same kind, at the begining of the cruise (or any time) you can order a bottle of wine at dinner & if you don't finish it they will store it for you to drink any time you are eating at any restaurant. You just give your name & cabin # and they always brought it to us at our next meal. You save a lot of $ not buying by the glass. Even if one of you drink white & the other red get your own bottle at the start of the cruise.
Happy sailing
Ellen

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, charged, cruise, deals, extras, freedom, ncl, purchase, seas