Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Svein:
VERY deep
Old 12-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

I think it would be hard for NCL to charge a corking fee for a box of wine. There is no way to cork a box that I know of. The possibility of NCL finding your box of wine in your suitcase would be difficult. If you pay $20.00 or less for the box wine and they find it, I would think it's no big deal. I guarentee when you get your bill at the end of the cruise you will spend more than what you thought. It's almost impossible to take a cruise and NOT spend any money. Just buy the box, pack it the suitcase and don't worry about this small and trival cash savings. Just enjoy the trip. Perhaps you can find a "young honey" to buy you a drink.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:36 AM

Don't they scan your bags? I was on NCL Jewel last year and saw alot of confiscated booze Let me know, I'll be on the Pearl in 4-07. Would love to bring some of my own wine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
Gisele:

Consider visiting your local liquor store where they will have a selection of high quality "box wines" A higher quality box wine will be about $15.00 to $20.00 for a 3 liter box. The box is sealed, won't break, not that heavy and three liters should last the whole week. It's very easy to pack in your larger suitcase. This method has always worked for us, and we get to take what we want, and what brand we enjoy. The cabin stewart will keep you supplied with ice, and depending on the ship that you are on, will most likely have a refrigerator to store the box.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
Old 12-17-2006, 11:55 AM

when you go into port but the water bottle bag put your liquor in the water bottles before you get back on board. works every time.. i been on the dawn 3 times jan 07 2007 will be my fourth.. anyoen going on that cruise on jan 7 07 dawn to western carrabbean let me know expecially guys. single woman ona cruise looking for some fun..... teeya35@msn.com teeya39@yahoo.com

email and messenger

p.s also tiny nip bottles scatter through your luggage they dont look close to that..
i smuggled the plastic ones in my bra lol. hey drinks are 9 bucks each?
guys you can buy me some drinks on board "wink"

See you all on the dawn jan 07 2007 if you wanna see some nice pics from the dawn check out my my space tmyspace.com/teeya35 also joint my roll call group
Group URL: http://groups.myspace.com/NCLDAWNROLLCALL
Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 PM
hey guys I have been on eight cruises and have taken alcohol and wine on board the liquer in my checked baggage at the pier and the wine I have carried on in carry on they just do not let you carry on hard liquer spirits through the carry on, if it is packed in your checked luggage that is delivered to your cabin you are pretty safe. they have over 4000 pieces of luggage to get on board though the hold you think they are going to open every one to check, NOT. the bottles you may see are the bottles confiscated at the passenger entry, or from underage and others trying to sneak it back in to the states over the duty limit, I have brought on boxed wine, that works quite well fits nice in suitcase and will not Break!!! and I do buy drinks on board also but there are times when I sit on my balcony and like to have a glass of wine or two before we go to Dinner also if you hang on to you glasses from previous drinks you can carry your wine glass into to the dining room when you go to dinner, no questions asked as the bars surround the dining room anyway, I have even gone so far as brought a smoothee blender with us as we had parties in our cabins and made our own drinks all we needed was the fruit (BUFFET)and Ice have fun Fran
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
I just came back from a cruise on the Dawn 12/17/06 and drink prices were averaging $6.25 which includes the 15% gratuity.

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SSUS_NJ:
To Gisele and the others on this thread:

I don't know what NCL's policy is, but on most of the Carnival-owned lines (HAL, for one) and on Celebrity - they usually allow you to bring wine onboard in an "open" fashion. If you drink it in your room, there is no corkage fee. If you bring it to the dining room, then they charge the corkage fee.
That's not true anymore.

Cruise Lines BYOB policies:

NCL
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed -- items are secured until debarkation day.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Allowed, only if they are not on NCL's wine list. A corkage fee of $15 applies.
Purchasing liquor in port: Retained until the end of the cruise.
Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Retained until the end of the cruise.

Carnival
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed. Confiscated.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Embarkation only. Corkage fee $10, may be used in main dining rooms and supper clubs only.
Purchasing liquor in port: Retained until the last night of the cruise.
Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Retained until the last night of the cruise.

Celebrity
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption onboard.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Wine purchased from our selection of bon voyage gifts are not subject to a corkage fee. Gifts of wine delivered to the ship by an authorized vendor will be subject to a corkage fee of $15 per bottle.
Purchasing liquor in port: No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption onboard.
Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Onboard purchases from the gift shop of any bottle of liquor will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Holland America
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Allowed, with a corkage fee of $10.
Purchasing liquor in port: Retained until the last day of the cruise.
Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Retained until the last day of the cruise.

Princess
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed. Confiscated; returned at the end of the cruise.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Allowed if purchased during a port visit; not allowed at embarkation. May be consumed in restaurants or in staterooms. When brought to restaurants, a $10 corkage fee applies.
Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Retained until the end of the cruise.

Royal Caribbean
Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed.
Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: No alcoholic beverages of any kind are allowed, including beer and wine.
Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Allowed, but items purchased in the shops onboard are held until the end of the voyage.

The above list comes from a well known cruise information web site I shall leave unnamed.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Ron:

You certainly know the answers and have a wealth of information. This is good informative news for all cruisers, giving precise information of what to expect on the major lines. Thanks so much.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
Old 12-23-2006, 06:05 PM

I am a crew member for Norwegian, I just got off the Jewel, and yes, they scann all the luggage that they bring aboard, I worked the front desk, and I saw it all the time, if it is a bottle,they will find it. yes it is dumb, but it rarly goes un noticed. the only thing I can suggest, is maybe like someone said above, bring boxed wine, other than that you will not see your alchol until the end of your cruise.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 AM

"High quality boxed wine", is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. Buy wine in port and carry it wrapped in a towel under your arm. You may or may not get through.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, box, bring, caribbean, cruise, cruises, cruisline, hard, liquor, norwegian, norweigan, royal, ship, sneak, sneaking, wine