Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 08:11 AM

My wife and I have been on over 10 cruises, and have been on NCL 4 times. As I read the comments on this board there sees to be a lot of negative comments about NCL. Is this a cruise line in decline? We have not been on NCL for over 4 years but we now have 8 NCL vouchers from a class action law suit.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:06 AM

1. Tell me about your lawsuit!

2. I'm sailing NCL for the second time in a year- I loved it.

3. Most of the bad press is re: NCLA. The reviews for Pride of America/Aloha are so off the charts bad that if you don't actively push them aside you will think that all of Norwegian is awful.

4. Traditional cruisers hate Freestyle Dining. I love meeting people but I would ten million times rather meet people in a bar or on deck than sitting with them night after night in a dining room. Plus, the time that I would like to eat varies from day to day, so I like the Freestyle thing a lot.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:27 PM

The class action suit was over excessive port charges etc.

We always dine second seating and have always been satisfied in the past.

I've read several bad reviews on the dream.

We will more than likely cruise with ncl in the future.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Banned

Most of the bad reviews last year on the Dream was after it's diesel engine had thrown a rod and it was missing ports, specifically Stika.
There was all the missed ports while the Dream was avoiding hurricanes last fall. The Dream wasn't the only ship missing ports caused by hurricanes activities last fall. Cancun still hasn't reopened.
Rest assured that the diesel has been repaired since last November. Check out the more recent reviews, most of them have been great.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:41 PM

I just read the last 4 reviews on the Dream. Not one happy camper in the bunch.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:58 PM

I'd call it more of a cruiseline on the rise! We'v taken all six of our cruises on NCL, and so far have found no reason to look elsewhere. FreeStyle was designed for us, as we enjoy the flexibility of dining where you want and when you want. We also have enjoyed the convenience of sailing out of NYC four times, and Boston once.

Thoough FreeStyle dining is not for everyone, it seems to have allowed much success for Norwegian. They continue to roll out new ships each year, and have more on the drawing boards. The branch that now serves Hawaii is certainly a project, as laws dictate that the crew be made up of US citzens. I know they got off on the wrong foot with some major problems, but have not heard much of late. If you want to cruise Hawaii, then NCL is the place.

Another sign of good times is the price continues to escalate, and I don't blame it on economic conditions. They are able to demand higher fees because the product has become very popluar, IMO.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Wow, Ben... I have no answer for you then! I have heard grumblings but always chalked them up to anti-Freestyle and POA-related complaints.

Well, as you can see, I am scheduled to leave in just over a month on the Spirit. This will be my 2nd Spirit cruise in a year, and I am neither a) a millionnaire or b) retired, so I am definitely putting my money and vacation time where my mouth is.

Hopefully I will have another good trip. She is a beautiful ship- really, really beautiful.

Here is my review from last time: http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...anSpirit14.htm
Old 02-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Crusin:
I just read the last 4 reviews on the Dream. Not one happy camper in the bunch.
Really, then you missed:

Bad http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...ianDream70.htm
Major complaint, not sailing from New Orleans, was informed a month after Katrina, but didn't sail until January. Wow! All the cruise lines aren't sailing from New Orleans this winter, nor are any ships going to Cancun. I guess that's NCL's fault instead of the weather.
Bad http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...ianDream69.htm
Party of 14 complaining there's no tables seating more than 8. Wow! I doubt any othe rcruise line has a table that seats 14. Complained about th elobster tail sizes, don't meet Maine fishing laws. Hello, who said these lobsters came from Maine? Complaining no one knows how to wash their hands properly.
Good and Badhttp://www.cruisereviews.com/NorwegianCruiseLine/NorwegianDream65.htm
A common complaint for the Dream and Wind, no room to sit and eat at the cafeteria/buffet. To be fair, this ship and its sister were not designed from scratch with Freestyle in mind.
They did enjoy their shore excursions, and had otherwise a good time.
Goodhttp://www.cruisereviews.com/NorwegianCruiseLine/NorwegianDream64.htm
Goodhttp://www.cruisereviews.com/NorwegianCruiseLine/NorwegianDream61.htm
Badhttp://www.cruisereviews.com/NorwegianCruiseLine/NorwegianDream59.htm
5 days at sea in seven, yet they stopped in three ports, only missing Cancun. This guy can't even count properly.

I wouldn't say the Reviews since the diesel has been repaired are all bad, nor would I say they were all good. But, as I wrote before, the Dream has been getting good reviews since mid-November.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Really, then you missed NCL being described as "three hots and a cot" and "we have taken NCL out of the mix".

There is no need for you to reply.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:05 PM

The thing that bothers me is that unless you want 4 sea days there and back (not an issue for me, but an issue for our travelling companions), you pretty much have to go on NCL. With the NCLA reviews as Carla puts it, I have a lot of hesitation in going on NCL ...

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, cruiseline, ncl, ncla, policy, reviews, wine