Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM

I am a 55 year-old first-timer. I have a disease called peripheral neuropathy - I cannot, for instance, climb the steps of a bus. I have a very hard time with stairs - up or down - with a strong rail, and cannot do them without a rail. I get very dizzy and fall a lot. Do I even get off the boat at these ports? I may not even be able to board the tender in Belize. My husband wants to do the normal things a healthy person would - snorkeling, etc. Will I be stuck in the shopping ditrict for eight hours or is there a way back to the boat? Should I buy a walker to help me up the ramps, or maybe rent a wheelchair for things like ramps. I am able to walk well in a straight line, so touring these ports on foot may be possible, but i would be alone. Of course our agent and the cruise line say not to worry, but I've long since learned to take the advice of people who have been there!! Thanks.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM

I am a 55 year-old first-timer. I have a disease called peripheral neuropathy - I cannot, for instance, climb the steps of a bus. I have a very hard time with stairs - up or down - with a strong rail, and cannot do them without a rail. I get very dizzy and fall a lot. Do I even get off the boat at these ports? I may not even be able to board the tender in Belize. My husband wants to do the normal things a healthy person would - snorkeling, etc. Will I be stuck in the shopping ditrict for eight hours or is there a way back to the boat? Should I buy a walker to help me up the ramps, or maybe rent a wheelchair for things like ramps. I am able to walk well in a straight line, so touring these ports on foot may be possible, but i would be alone. Of course our agent and the cruise line say not to worry, but I've long since learned to take the advice of people who have been there!! Thanks.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:06 PM

CAROL ANN
FOR ONE THING, DO NOT BUY A WHEELCHAIR. ALL THE SHIPS WE'VE BEEN ON HAVE MANY, MANY OF THEM AND YOU CAN HAVE ONE FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP.
ALL OF THE TRANSPORTATION HAS STEPS.............USUALLY STEEP, UP INTO THE VEHICLE.
ONCE YOU LEAVE THE U.S.A. THERE ARE NO A.D.A. LAWS AND CURBS CAN BE VERY HIGH AND PAVEMENT CAN BE VERY UNEVEN.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:53 PM
On Holland America, I have seen crew carrying a woman in her wheelchair down the steps to the dock, and even into the waiting tender. Do contact the cruise line about using one of their wheelchairs on the ship.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:56 PM

I would take a walker for sure and the other posters are correct. The ship will have chairs on board for your use.

The tendering process involves standing in line, going down steep stairs to the tender, boarding the tender, riding in a small tender in potentially rough seas, debarking the tender and then negotiating the tender wharf.

The ship's crew will help you as far as debarking the tender if you want to go ashore. However if motion sensitivity is a part of your situation, you might be better off not using the tenders.

Now, here is the bad news. Both Belize City and Cancun are tender ports. Both are long tender rides, Both are hot and crowded unless you wait out the tender lines and take a much later tender.

In Belize, there is not much to see other than the port area for you. I would not suggest that you exit the port and wander around on your own unless you speak fluent Spanish.

Ditto in Roatan. There is a little flea market right outside the port, but the town itself would be difficult for you.

Cozumel is not really chair friendly downtown, however some of the beach clubs might be fun for you.

Cancun offers limited shopping on the tender wharf and then a great bar at the foot of the wharf, but to really see anything you would have to take a taxi from there. Again, Cancun is not very chair friendly.

Here is what I would suggest. In Cozumel, go to Chankanaab National Park. Your husband can snorkel and you can have a great time. Grab a taxi to take you there

In Roatan, go to the Half Moon Bay Inn on the West End. You can relax at the hotel while he snorkels his brains out in world class reefs. Grab a taxi to take you there

If you do tender into Cancun and/or Belize City, take one of the ship's snorkel/dive/adventure tours that would make your husband happy and the ship's crew will make sure that you have a great time too.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Hi CArol Ann!
I am 52 & I have CFS & FM (similar symptoms to neuropathy) & am going on my TENTH cruise... (fourth since disabled). On last two cruises, we brought a collapsable wheel chair, and it worked quite well... (the stewards can keep it stowed for you when you don't require it on board) because it's liftable. Another good option is a cane with a fold up seat.
This cruise I'm taking a motorized schooter that comes apart & will ask for help getting it up/down the various 'barriers'.
& I urge you to TRY snorkeling... what I do is to get a cheap blow up raft (we pack an electric inflator) and if you float with your tummy over the narrow width, with your feet & head in the water, the raft will support your weight, and you can 'out-snorkle' anyone else!
OR, there is a neat new 'raft' that has a
'window' that will obviate the need for fins & mask/ snorkel... here's their URL: http://www.BoatersWorld.com
Check out: Sea Window - Atlantis Snorkeling
Craft (Catalog number 472600030), and Sea
Window - Calypso Snorkeling Craft (Catalog number 472600022), et al.
I got smaller ones for my grand kids 5 & 12 yrs. in two sizes, plus one each for my s-daugh & son-in-law (largest size) so they can enjoy viewing the fish without needing experience or ability to snorkle.
HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:11 PM

I am disabled, so is my hubby and we are going on our first cruise March 22 via NCL to Hawaii for 10 days, with a night on Oahu to see both the PCC and USS Arizona. I have bone spurs in my back from long strain on my back as a CNA for YEARS and sustained a fracture back in '76, snow ski accident in '77 and a fall off a UHaul truck that landed me in the middle of the towbar that towed my hubby's car to Salt Lake in '81. I have Diabetes, which gave me periphural Neuropathy of both feet and hands. I have just last Aug finished 6 rounds of Chemo, so I am now in remission. My legs are stiff, so I can only walk with my walker and cane in our mobile home and use my manual w/c for going places. I do use my walker to get down my ramp to our van and use a step stool to get in. I am getting a Power Chair within a week or so, but just found out today that NCL won't allow my type, as it doesn't collapse. My other question is: My hubby has Sarcoidosis, a disease that has caused him to have only 50% lung capacity and now want to know if he would be able to walk without too much trouble on the shore excursions? He tires easily when he pushes me in my w/c. I am 57 and Bob is 63. We plan on going ashore to all the tours that are wheelchair accessible. Are there some people on the shore excursions that are willing to push us around if Bob gets a wheelchair? And, do all the ports in Hawaii have disembarkations at each port? Any tenders?
My mom has paid for us to go on our first cruise. It's a combination Christmas, 25th Wedding Anniversary and celebration from Chemo. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread

Tags
accessible, belize, calypso, cancun, carol, cozumel, cruise, disabled, enjoy, neuropathy, norwegian, peripheral, roatan, ship, tender, wheelchair