Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
NCL CORPORATION ANNOUNCES FAREWELL SEASON
OF MARCO POLO
Ship to sail under the Orient Lines brand until March 2008
before delivery to new owner

MIAMI – June 4, 2007 – NCL Corporation (“NCL”) today announced the sale of Marco Polo, from its Orient Lines brand effective March 23, 2008.

Marco Polo is presently owned by Star Cruises along with two other mid-sized vessels also operated on charter by NCL, Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Majesty.
“Marco Polo has an extremely loyal following and the Orient Lines brand is unique in what it offers,” said Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL Corporation. “It has been an important part of our business during the transition from the old NCL to the new NCL with the youngest fleet in the industry by the end of this year.

“We have said for the past two years that all of our older ships would progressively leave the fleet as our new, purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships arrived. The timing of Marco Polo's departure always revolved around finding a good next owner, and I am pleased to say we have found one. This unique ship will, from the summer of 2008, have a new lease of life serving a new market under an established brand. The new owner will be announcing the acquisition very soon."

Marco Polo's famously friendly and family-like Filipino crew will continue to delight Orient Lines guests through to the delivery of the ship to her new owner. After that, they will be welcomed into new opportunities within the rest of the NCL fleet.

NCL will shortly announce details of a comprehensive on-board program for the farewell season of the Marco Polo. Marco Polo’s final cruise will be the March 2, 2008 repositioning cruise from Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon, Portugal.

In the coming weeks, the hundreds of thousands of loyal Polo Club members who have sailed on Marco Polo over the years will be invited and enticed to come and enjoy her warm home-away-from-home atmosphere one last time.

NCL Corporation Ltd. is an innovative cruise company headquartered in Miami, Florida, with a fleet of 14 ships in service and under construction. The corporation oversees the operations of Norwegian Cruise Line, NCL America, and Orient Lines. The company recently took delivery of its newest ship, Norwegian Pearl, and is currently building Norwegian Gem for delivery in October of 2007.

In addition, NCL plans to build up to three new third generation Freestyle Cruising ships for delivery between 2009 and 2011. NCL is on target to have the youngest fleet in the industry by the end of 2007 with the introduction of Norwegian Gem, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy the flexibility of Freestyle Cruising on the newest, most contemporary ships at sea.

For more information about Orient Lines, please call a travel agent, or Orient Lines directly toll free at (800) 333-7300 or visit www.orientlines.com.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Thank you, Raoul. I anxiously await word on the mysterious "new owner."
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Lisa,

my guess is that it is one of these companies (in no particular order):

1.) Voyages of Discovery
2.) Louis Cruise Lines
3.) Swan Hellenic Cruises
4.) Phoenix Reisen
5.) Classic International Cruises

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 PM

“We have said for the past two years that all of our older ships would progressively leave the fleet as our new, purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships arrived."

This doesn't sound to promising for the SS United States or SS Indy does it?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Remarc,

hardly anthing announced by NCL sounds "promising" IMHO.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 06-07-2007, 12:35 AM

I wouldn't be surprised that scrapping the old girl will be considered in the near future.

She's an old girl. 1956 was some time ago. After all the Norway was sailing in 1960. Also she is an old DDR/Soviet construction, and despite major rebuilding, she is still a eastern-bloc ship at heart.

The only thing that has kept her off the beaches of Alang is the fact that she is mechanically sound, and is a motorship.

Maybe SAGA cruises are interested? She'd match in well with the Saga Rose and Saga Ruby.

I hope she does survive..I hope that there is also a buyer for the Independence and United States, however as older steamships their chances are small.

Its a shame mo one had the gall to buy the Orient Lines brand with these classic ships and operate 'traditional' cruising at a cheaper price to Cunard, without compromising the 'traditional' elements of cruising to 'freestyle' and other abhorrent NCL add-ons.

" Le paquebot France est lancé. Il va épouser la mer. (...) Sa mission sera de transporter d'un bord à l'autre de l'Atlantique des hommes, c'est-à-dire des pensées et des activités, des foyers de connaissance et des sources de travail, de l'art et de la richesse."

Général De Gaulle, le 11 mai 1960

Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
She's an old girl. 1956 was some time ago.
I believe she was built in 1964-65.
We sailed on her as the Pushkin in '74 when a 2 week cruise cost us $798. pp
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Sorry i got my 5 and 6 back to front!

" Le paquebot France est lancé. Il va épouser la mer. (...) Sa mission sera de transporter d'un bord à l'autre de l'Atlantique des hommes, c'est-à-dire des pensées et des activités, des foyers de connaissance et des sources de travail, de l'art et de la richesse."

Général De Gaulle, le 11 mai 1960

Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Hi Raoul,

may I add Pulmantours as probable new owner to Your list?

It seems to me, that they try actually to get any ship they can to catch up with MSC and Costa in Europe (what concerns the number of ships). At least the Marco Polo fits well in their fleet (Oceanic + OceanicII).

By the way it's interesting to read, how proud they seem to be for having the most modern fleet .... so will the United States and the Independence soon follow the bad examples of France and Constitution ..... or will we soon see "NCL Classic" ????? (was a joke)
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Hi Walter,

a good friend from Spain reports that Pullmantur has officially denied that they have purchased or plan to purchase the ship. The same reportedly applies to Voyages of Discovery and Iberojet.

I guess We will have to wait and see.

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread