Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2003, 06:28 PM

Has anyone sailed from NY in February? We're concerned about the weather - we know it will be cold.

When will we hit warm weather after leaving NY?
Old 07-20-2003, 06:28 PM

Has anyone sailed from NY in February? We're concerned about the weather - we know it will be cold.

When will we hit warm weather after leaving NY?
Old 07-27-2003, 07:59 AM

I am also cruiseing on Feb 5 2004 out of ny on the dawn. Yes I am a little worried about the seas. However I have sailed to Bermunda during hurricane season and have been lucky so far. There is a lot of info on some other boards some others going on this sailing that I am in contact with. We call ourselves the adventures to brave a sailing in the winter from ny. My understanding after a day it will beginto warn up as we will be in north c. My e-mail is mstigerlily50@hot mail . com if you would like to cat about this cruise. I will be checking on this board as I also enjoy this board. anyway will talk to you again. If you want to e-mail put cruise on the subject marie
Old 07-28-2003, 03:08 PM

I wouldn't expect warm weather (i.e. 70's and 80's) until Florida, if then. February on the east coast is generally cold down through the Appalachian region, though usually milder in the Carolinas (40's-60ish) than in NYC (30's or lower). You will definitely need a coat to start with; perhaps a better choice would be layers (medium weight jacket plus a sweater, plus hat & gloves and possibly a fleece vest over the jacket if it happens to be extra cold.) That way you can shed layers as the weather turns warmer. Florida could be anywhere from the low 60's to the 80's that time of year - it just depends on how next winter happens to turn out.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:10 PM

I forgot to mention this in the previous post, but if you have not already arranged your air tickets to get to the cruise, I strongly recommend flying there the day before the cruise leaves, especially in winter. Weather delays are common in January & February in the Midwest and Northeast!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:46 PM

We have booked flights on Jet Blue (Red-eye) arriving JFK at 8:15 a.m. on 2/4/04. The ship sails on 2-5-03. We booked rooms at the Waldorf pre and post cruise.

Do you know how far the Waldorf is from JFK and the Pier?

We have never been to NY before!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:00 PM

The Waldorf is on Park Avenue and 46th St. It takes up the entire block over to Lexington Ave.
Kennedy Airport is in the borough of Quuens, on the border with Nassau county, just off of the ocean. The cab ride from JFK to Midtown manhattan, in the morning during rush hour, IN THE WINTER, depending on the weather, could take you anywhere from one to two hours. The distance is approx. 35 miles.

Going west from the Waldorf, the avenues run: Park (waldorf) Madison, Fifth, Sixth (Ave. of the Americas), Seventh, Broadway, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Westside Highway, Piers.

Going cross town by cab from the Waldorf will take you from 15 minutes to a half hour depending on the traffic.

Feb. in NYC btw is considered the worst weather month of the year. This is why the public schools take their one week midwinter recess in Feb. It is the coldest month and the snowiest month.

BnB
Old 08-05-2003, 05:43 PM

Maybe we weren't too smart booking a sailing out of NYC in February!!! I'm nervous now.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:05 PM

At least you plan to fly there the day before. That will give you some cushion, should the weather cause flight delays. Did you purchase travel insurance?
Old 02-12-2004, 04:07 PM

I hope your trip was great and post how the weather and seas were on your trip. We are booked to sail on the Dawn on Feb 22. I do know you are going to arrive home in sub zero temps. Please tell me the rest of your voyage was fun. (and any info I should be aware of that might make our voyage worth booking out of NYC in February!)

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, dave, lines, morgan, norweigian, nyc, review, sailing