Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Are the coke cards worth it?

Do you have to wait in line to eat or get there early? What about coffee on the deck? Is it free/included or do you have to pay extra for this?

We are crusing NCL Sun in Dec. 2008.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Unless you drink a lot of soda, a real lot I don't feel they are worth it. I never had any long wait to eat maybe one or two people it goes quick.
Coffee, tea, milk, water and some juice at breakfast are all free and available all day long at the buffet and there should be something open 24 hours and look for the ice cream bar also free.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 AM

On the Dream cans of soda were $1.75 (plus a 15% gratuity, which is added to every drink order automatically) and "fountain" soda was $1.25. Fountain soda is what the drink card pays for. Basically what they did on the Dream is they opened a soda can, filled a small glass with soda (it looked like a 6 ounce glass to me) and, viola, fountain soda. I don't know for sure but strongly suspect that you have to order one soda at a time (per person) and then wait to be waited on again. As for eating you have to be hungry when other people aren't in order to avoid the lines.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Newlywed08 - The lines are not too long at any of the dining venues and they move quickly. The Specialty Restaurants will seat you immediately if you made reservations.
If you choose to dine and you find the line unaccepatably long or if by chance the maitre' de tells you the wait is more than 10 minutes-try another venue or come back at a slighly later time!
NCL ships have such a large variety of dining styles that there is seldomly a jam!
It can and does happen but it is rare.
We have waited longer in lines aboard other cruiselines when our dining times and tables were assigned.
Coffee is included in your fare, unless it is a Specialty coffee.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM

I don't know about NCL yet, but on Carnival we brought on our own cokes. They had no problem with that. You might see if NCL will let you do that too...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 AM

We have never had to wait more than just a few minutes. If there are only two of you then I am sure you will be seated very quickly. At breakfast you may be asked if you would like to share a table, this is entirely up to you. I have seen large groups of people who want to sit together wait while tables are arranged to seat them. As stated in a previous post in the specialty restaurants you make reservations for a certain time.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM

When i check the review about ncl gem some people complaint about it , and said it is worse experience and the other said it is wonderful.So we will see that by ourselve I love to drink lots of Iced Tea especially Lipton Brand , Is this free of charge ? Or should we buy a coke card ? Do we need 2 coke cards for two ? 12 Dollars each day for tipping , 12 dollar for coke card 25 dollars a day per person 7x25:175 Dollars for one
Why they are not adding this to ticket price ?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Mert, the ice tea is free, so is the hot tea, coffee, milk, water, and some juices. They don't add the extra fees to the cost of the cruise because not everyone takes advantage of different things. There are plenty of people that don't tip (unfortunately), there are plenty of people that don't buy soda cards, there are plenty of people that don't take excursions, etc.

Take the reviews that you read with a grain of salt. Some people who post negative reviews may have had one thing go wrong, so they have to bash the ship and the cruise line. Some people who think it was fantastic don't post reviews. If you go with an open mind, you will have a fantastic time! Best wishes.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Do we need 2 coke cards for two ?
Yes, each person needs their own card. You cannot share one. Frankly I don't think they are worth it unless you drink the equivalent of 4 or more 12 ounce sodas per day. Others think they are a great deal. We only buy the card for our son since it makes it convenient for him. Plus his card is cheaper.

Years ago, sodas during meal hours were included in the cruise price. But as the cruise lines searched for more revenue generation, away went the sodas. There was a time in between when there were no soda cards. It was all purchase by the drink. I forget which cruise line was first with the soda cards but it wasn't long before all the others followed suit. Frankly most of the bartenders and waiters hate them.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Mert -

Quote:
When i check the review about ncl gem some people complaint about it , and said it is worse experience and the other said it is wonderful.So we will see that by ourselve
__________________________________________________ ______
Penny has said it well -Take the comments with a grain of salt - I have taken many cruises over the years and seldom, if ever, found myself in agreement with those that have posted negative comments regarding cruises. In fact, some of the ships I read the worst comments about have ended up being my favorites! Every person views the world thru a different set of eyes and life experiences. Many people have a negative outlook on all they do and many others kibitz just for the sake of kibitzing! Isn't it logic that teaches two negatives make a positive??

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

P.S. The NCL Gem is one of my favorite ships!!

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, card, cards, carnival, coffee, coke, cokes, cruise, day, free, lines, long, meal, norwegian, share