Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 08:59 AM

We are looking at going on the Star to Alaska. I have read a couple of different things on the boards about the dress code in the dining room. Has anyone actually seen anyone refused entry to the main dining room if you are wearing jeans or dress shorts? Can anyone give me details about the other dining options (restaurants) that are offered at no additional charge where this type dress is welcomed? My husband hates to "dress" for dinner and I think freestyle cruising will solve our problem but not if we are limited to where we can dine. Any information is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Jeans and shorts are not appropriate for dinner in the dining rooms. A pair of twill/khaki slacks and a nice shirt/polo will do fine. Think of "Sunday go to town" clothes. A blazer or sport coat for "Formal" night - or maybe even a pullover sweater.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

The cafeteria/buffet and those open 24 hours a day don't have a dress code per say. Although you still needs shoes and a shirt on to get service.
On the Star, you can wear jeans, shorts and t shirts to all the restaurants until 5:00 pm or so. Then you can only wear jeans, shorts, and t shirts to the Market Cafe and the Blue Lagoon all day and all night long.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:33 PM

I agree with the responses, but just a little upgrade (slacks and a shirt) will yield such a huge improvement in your cruise experience. I am a surfer living in San Diego and never wear shoes, much less long pants. When I go on a cruise it is like a fantasy experience. No one in San Diego wears tuxs...well I take that back.

We used to live at Windansea Beach in La Jolla and at the end of summer, everyone would dress in a tux jacket and swim trunks (ladies would wear evening gowns with no shoes) and we would meet on the beach at Windansea. A friend of mine lived right across the street and we would run an extension cord across the street from his house so that we could operate a blender to make specialty drinks. We had a "formal" beach event each year.

Your husband will have a great time even if he is locked into wearing shorts and jeans. In the worse case scenario, there is always room service. But, I would pack a pair of slacks just in case.

Tom
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 PM

I took a group of 7 on the Sun to Alaska. My son wore dress shorts to the main restaurant on a couple of occasions, never a problem. I would suggest your husband picks up some "dockers" style pants go with that along with golf shirts. It is a great cruise.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:31 AM

On the Dream, a lady got turned away in one of the main dining rooms (so, the answer is yes) but at dinner one CAN wear jeans in the Trattoria, which is also a fine dining room.....
other than the jeans, no other things were followed up on in the dining rooms....period.
Even on formal night.........for instance we were dressed for Formal Night (not in a tux, though) and at the next table a guy was in a dirty t-shirt, sweats and he kept his baseball hat on all during dinner. They really did NOT enforce dress codes at all on that ship. Baseball hats were on the heads of many of the "older men".............not the young guys, in all of the fine dining rooms during all of the meals.
The servers are dressed nicely; I believe we should be as well.
Grubby is not casual; I wish NCL enforced their dress codes.
Anyhow........have a grand time!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, attire, celebrity, code, cruise, cruises, dining, dinner, dress, formal, night, norwegian, princess, room