Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Billy,

You were quite correct. According to NCL "The technical issue was related to the power supply for the automation and control of machinery and hotel auxiliary equipment" and has been repaired. Thus my assumption about the azipods was incorrect. They were affected but only as a collateral item for a few hours.

The Dawn will return to Miami this week and the December 4 cruise will sail as scheduled.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Dave - You are supposed to be on your way off to a few fabulous days aboard the RCCL Oasis! (How lucky can a guy get)!!! Relax, Don't Worry...Be Happy!! We'll be holding down the Mains'l, Lashing the rudder to port, Battening down the Hatches whilst you are out Splicing the Main Brace !!!

Just don't shivver your timbers!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

PS If Ye sees the NCL Dawn, Give 'er a tow would Ye???
Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this happened. The Dawn is my co-worker's favorite ship. I am sure that it was a difficult situation to say the least. Especially, since the offices in Miami were closed for the holiday. I'm sure the staff had little or no communication for hours. Unfortunately, I know what a litigious society we live in, and I can just hear it now.

I am glad that LeighAB6 posted, it sounds like it was very unbearable on board. Those with the balconies probably faired better, since they could open their doors. It's such a shame that this had to happen on anyone's cruise, but especially since it was a holiday cruise.

My heart goes out to passengers, crew, and especially corporate, since they haven't heard the beginning or end of this. They're operating on a shoestring and didn't need for this to happen. I'm just very glad to hear no one was injured.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM

From NCL;

Important Information for Norwegian Dawn Guests:

Miami - Nov 30, 2009 --- The ship's December 4, 2009 nine-day cruise to the Southern Caribbean will sail as scheduled. The technical difficulties the ship experienced on November 27 have been resolved and the ship is fully operational. We look forward to welcoming all our guests on board.

Dwayne
Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 AM

Article

How awful!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM

So while there was no power, was the ship able to move or was it stranded until it regained power?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
We were using the cold function on the hair dryer as a fan
I guess you got some power back then or the hair dryer wouldn't work. So power came back on, but ac didn't work?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Only partial power was restored. We were completely stopped in the middle of the ocean for most of Friday and then only moved very slowly to San Juan. I don't know how it works out that the AC didn't work, but some lights did and so did the elevators but that's how it went. I would have almost rather had no lights and the boat be cooled if there was a choice. I am sure they did the best the could given the circumstances. Now that we are home, we look back and really did enjoy all of the ports we stopped at and had an amazing time. It was an unfortunate event but I am glad we were able to enjoy the first part of the cruise. It has been frustrating, but it will all work itself out. Thanks everyone for posting!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM

LeighAB6, I'm sure it was more than frustrating and very disappointing. Here you were having so much fun, enjoying your holiday, then bam, nothing. We lost total power one night leaving Bonaire on the Sea Princess. Thankfully, it didn't last but about 30-45 minutes. It was totally wierd how silent it was and how DARK. I was drying my hair and my hubby was in the shower. Thankfully, he wasn't totally lathered up when the power went off, because we immediately lost water.

I am so very sorry that your cruise was ruined like this. I know you were looking forward to it. I hope you'll cruise again, soon. I know you might be gun shy about NCL, but it really can happen with any cruise ship. Normally, they can fix the problems, though.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Now that we are home, we look back and really did enjoy all of the ports we stopped at and had an amazing time. It was an unfortunate event but I am glad we were able to enjoy the first part of the cruise.
That's a good attitude to have.

I guess it'd be a good idea to pack a flashlight. And take those individual battery operated fans. I usually take that when I travel someplace warm. I bet I could have sold it for A LOT if I'd been on that cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, compensation, cruise, dawn, electrical, engine, line, ncl, norwegian, problems, propulsion, reviews, rock, roll, trouble