Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

NCL has cancelled the November 29 5-night sailing of the Norwegian Dawn. The ship experienced a total loss of power at approximately 9am Friday and only partial power has been restored. The ship is rerouted to San Juan where it will off-load all passengers. NCL has been able to charter 2 airplanes which will each do 3 trips today to shuttle passengers back to Miami. They are still trying to arrange more aircraft.

All persons on this cancelled sailing should contact your travel agent or NCL at 800-327-7030 as soon as possible.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info Dave,

The Dawn was going to be one of my Feb choices...

But I'm sure she will be up and running by then...

Packed and ready to Rock and Roll on the Oasis?

Happy sailing,

Bob E
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Packing now for the Oasis.

I read some facebook entries from passengers aboard the Dawn during this problem. No toilets for almost 5 hours, no air-conditioning (even after power was partially restored), no running water, etc. Bad scene.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 AM

I was unfortunately aboard the dawn during the power outage. It was horrible. There was little information given to us during the blackout. We were finally told in the evening that we would be docking in San Juan in the morning. At first, the receptionist were saying NCL was not going to pay for transportation from San Juan to Miami. There was no air conditioning all of Friday and most of Saturday. We slept outside on the lounge chairs Friday night because it was unbearably hot in our rooms. There was no cold water or ice on board until Saturday afternoon when we docked, which made the heat even worse. Saturday morning was a mess. None of the staff were giving any answers regarding travel arrangements. Flights were finally given out to passengers on a "need" basis. I asked a NCL staff member how need was assessed and they could not offer an explanation. Flights home and future travel plans were not taken into consideration by NCL when booking the flights to Miami. I understand that it was Thanksgiving weekend; however, the conditions we were in were unbearable. Passengers were passing out due to the heat and without cold water it made it very difficult to stay cool. We were using the cold function on the hair dryer as a fan so that we could pack our bags and get off the boat. We ended up booking our own flight to Miami because I was not about to spend another night on the boat. Our flight was scheduled to go out tonight (Sunday) and they expected us to spend Saturday night on the hot boat. We just couldn't do it. I feel very sorry for those still on the boat. Some of the last flights to take passengers to Miami were said to be scheduled up until Wednesday. I know this was a mechanical problem and no person can be blamed for that; however, the way things were handled was not in the best interest of the passengers. Just thought all of you should hear it from a passenger. It is going to be a long healing process before we even think about cruising again.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Leigh,

It's a shame this had to happen on your cruise. I know it is frustrating, but given the situation it could be true that the staff had no answers initially because they truly didn't know what was going to happen. It obviously was a very dynamic event. However, once they made a decision that flights would be based on need there should have been some guidelines communicated to the staff and passengers.

This type of problem is exceedingly rare and I hope you consider another cruise with your compensation from NCL.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Quote:
I hope you consider another cruise with your compensation from NCL.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Those on the cruise which ended in San Juan got 75% refunds and 50% off a future NCL cruise.

Those on the cancelled cruise got 100% refunds and 50% off a future booking.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
First the NCL Star and now the NCL Dawn have experienced some major engine problems , both within the past 6 months (or less). The NCL Dawn is a favorite ship but perhaps it is time for both these ships go in for major refits and overhauls. Star and Dawn are sister ships utilizing the same construction plans and details.

I hope they call in Meyer-Werft's best engineers for a long term resolution to the problems on these fine ships!! I feel very sorry for the inconveniences suffered by the passengers, I hope they will cruise NCL again in the near future!

BillyBuzzy
Old 11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

The azipod propulsion system has been troublesome over the years. Carnival had problems with it, NCL leads the pack, and I think the other lines with ships using azipods have had their share of woes. It still hasn't been a common thing, but it seems more often than not when a propulsion problem happens it is an azipod ship.

I think RCI has had the least amount of troubles with it.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately it sounds as if the problems were more extensive than propulsion since electrical service and AC (dependent upon electical) were also out or functioning marginally! Water and toilet service was also out for 5 hours or so!

No doubt the azipod problems weighed heavily in the decsions to propel the new Carnival Dream and the NCL Epic with conventional prop and rudder designs!

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, compensation, cruise, dawn, electrical, engine, line, ncl, norwegian, problems, propulsion, reviews, rock, roll, trouble