Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 04:15 PM

On the last 2 cruises I was on I did not pay the$10 dollars per day per person that was added to my account,the reason for this is that I tip accordingly,I have now booked another cruise this time on the Norwegian Jewel,where I will still not pay the 10 dollars per day,does anyone know if NCL is making this compulsary,or is it still by choice.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

It's compulsary, unless you give NCL a reasonable complaint and time to correct the problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:08 AM

Thanks for that,the reason I did not pay on my last 2 cruises with NCL,is as stated in my previous post,I tip accordingly,To be Honest I do not agree with all this tipping lark,I dont mind tipping someone if I get exceptional service,but in my opinion $10 per day per person is a bit of a rip off as there is also 15% tip added to every drinks bill you get,where I live in Scotland we do not expect to pay gratuities on every thing we buy,but this seems to be the norm on cruises , sorry to go about this but does anyone else share my view,or am I just being a tight fisted Scot.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
The $10 per day is split amongst dining room staff and room steward(s). The amount per person per day is minimal. Especially on NCL, with "Freestyle" dining, it is extremely difficult to tip wait personnel for good service, if you have different personnel every time you're in the dining room..... I've never worked food service, but I have worked as a chambermaid at a hotel. It is hard work for little pay, whether on land or at sea. Tips are always appreciated. On our last cruise on NCL, I noticed how hard the dining room staff worked - with Freestyle there is a constant turnover of tables, so they needed to be bussed and set up numerous times during the course of a 5 hour dining time.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks for your reply,you See I am not against giving people a tip,that is not really a problem,but my next cruise that I have already booked for november,it cost me and my husband a total of 2,650,this comes to approx$3,900, so with that and what we spend on the cruise,which can be a fair amount,I really do not see why we have to pay $20 per couple per day.must say I do appreciate your feed back,thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM

my sister was on a cruise recently and she asked the staff things like where are you from and all and found out that mostof them make very little(if anything) above room and board. tips are all mostof the employees get. she said she was told she didnt make any money other thank tips(this was supposedly on disney) and a friend of hers said the one they were on (unsure which line) only paid 50 a month. most cruises i have researched(havent been yet but plan to this nov/dec) it is mostly optional. they add it on to your account to make it convienient and to encourage tipping. i beleive you can also increase it if you choose to if you liked a staff member in particular.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:05 PM

My family and I have been on over 10 cruises and we like the $10 per day. It is spilt many ways and if you consider going ona non-cruise vacation...meals, bar tab, chambermaid, I'm sure that $20.00 is a fare fee for what you would normally tip throughout the day.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:39 AM

Starr is correct,

the crew members in the service get 50 $ per month and they need the tips.
We also think, that 10 $ per person/day is fair. And we always tip some extra $ for special services, like bringing clothes to the laundry, or having excellent service in the dining room, we add some extra Dollars.

Germans are not used to tip, but I heard more and more americans, who are not willing to tip these 10 $ and thats unfair about the really hard working people on the cruiseships.

Closed Thread

Tags
account, cruise, norwegian, norweigian, onboard, pay