Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 AM

I am in the process of working for NCL America, but would like to know more information. What is it like to work for a cruise line or for NCL. I understand the long working hours and days, but that is ok with me because I welcome hard work and long hours. What is some of the other benifits that NCL offers? Is it true that after you do 1 year, then you can travel anywhere NCL and NCL America cruise to. Some one please answer these questions.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:38 AM

I am in the process of working for NCL America, but would like to know more information. What is it like to work for a cruise line or for NCL. I understand the long working hours and days, but that is ok with me because I welcome hard work and long hours. What is some of the other benifits that NCL offers? Is it true that after you do 1 year, then you can travel anywhere NCL and NCL America cruise to. Some one please answer these questions.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM

Was that a recruiter told you.. after a year you get to take a free cruise?! In twelve months you would work for 9 months without a day off. the 4 weeks in between your 1st and second Contract. is so you can spend all the money you saved from working on a vessel. Remeber your not going to maintain an apt. while your on the ship. Is your car going to be stored for the time your on the ship? Are you going to stay with the folks between Contracts? If you last a year. Your going to be atleast a Second Officer, at least a Stewart. Now is NCLA going to operate in Hawaii in 2009? When the other big cruise lines come on board will NCL discontinue service and sent her vessels to Alaska or the atlantic runs? I you last a year you will be in the top 20% of the crew.. You may enjoy being a second Officer, maybe even make Dept Head. Good luck to you.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM

Than you for the advise. But to answer your questions yes my recuriter told me that if I served 1 year(2terms) then I can sail anywhere NCL sail to. As far as for my housing I stay with my mother so I have no apartment to maintain at this time nor do I have a car at this time either.
As a second officer what is the pay and your duties. How long have you worked on a cruise line?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:08 AM
A second officer is a position that requires a specific education, experience and a certificate. He navigates the ship and have safety duties and other duties assigned by his superior.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Svein my old friend. The vessel is boken down into two depts. Hotel, Ship. If you work for the Hotel, a second officer in a dept. such as Sanitation is second to the first officer and the first officer works for the Dept supervisor. The navigational officers of the ship are very seperate. Here is how in the hotel rank is structured. I worked for two contracts with the POH thats a whole year less my 4 week vacation, The recruiters play little word games.(lip service) The ship sails the Hawaiian Islands so your already in Hawaii. You can't take up space in a passenger cabin for free. If a recruiter tells someone that, I feel sorry for the poor crew member,
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Tim if you live with your Mother, have no car and can just pick-up and go to a ship for five months, your a perfect candidate for some hurt feelings. It costs $20 to use the ships internet for 1 hour. Cell phones dont work on the ship cuz your at sea. When you get your 4 hours off and you can leave the ship you can use a pay phone, remember the 5hr time difference. When you tell your Mom how much you hate it, and your cabin mates are just as over worked and stressed out as you are, so they don't have a lot of sympathy for you. I worked for NCL for two contracts. 10 months. When I left the ship I was given an honorable discharge from the Coast Guard, (Your MMD is no good for other ships) Svein our old friend Doesnt know what goes on, on the ship behind the crew only hatch. If you last the year, I promise you, they will make you at minimu a Steward in your dept.(and I don't mean room stewart, a stewart is the first ring in the chain of command. the there are 3 second officers per shift (day-night) two second officers per shift. one first officer per shift. the Dept Supervisor, the Dept Chief the asst Hotel director and then the Hotel director. Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Reid:
Than you for the advise. But to answer your questions yes my recuriter told me that if I served 1 year(2terms) then I can sail anywhere NCL sail to. As far as for my housing I stay with my mother so I have no apartment to maintain at this time nor do I have a car at this time either.
As a second officer what is the pay and your duties. How long have you worked on a cruise line?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Utility Galley POH:
Svein my old friend. The vessel is boken down into two depts. Hotel, Ship. If you work for the Hotel, a second officer in a dept. such as Sanitation is second to the first officer and the first officer works for the Dept supervisor. The navigational officers of the ship are very seperate. Here is how in the hotel rank is structured. I worked for two contracts with the POH thats a whole year less my 4 week vacation, The recruiters play little word games.(lip service) The ship sails the Hawaiian Islands so your already in Hawaii. You can't take up space in a passenger cabin for free. If a recruiter tells someone that, I feel sorry for the poor crew member,

First of all the ship is broken down in THREE depts - Deck , Engine , Hotel.

Second , unless you have a maritime degree and a certificate you are not an officer. I'm perfectly aware of how the Hotel Departments structure is broken down, and I've also experienced a LOT of hotel folks with one or two stripes thinking they're officers and at the same time don't have a clue what their safety duties are.

Don't get me wrong - I have great respect for most of my colleagues in the Hotel Dept, and the managers and key personnel should indeed have officer status and privileges. But they will not be officers until they get an officer license.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 AM

This question is for utility Galley POH. Per my recuriter she stated that we may used the computer room at no cost. So I take this as being not true.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, contracts, cruise, galley, hours, line, lines, long, ncl, ncla, recruiters, room, steward, work, worked, working