Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM

Hi,
We taking my 5yr.daughter on an 8 day cruise. I like the idea that they have children programs/clubs on the ship. My question is has anyone use the late evening sitting and or the in port sitting? We want to spend a couple of nights out late and go dancing. We also have played with the idea of leaving her on the ship for a couple of hours while we are at one port since it is a short stay. Your comments are appreciated
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

I would not ever leave a child of that age and get off the ship. Not even for a few minutes. If some alone time is important on your vacation leave the child with Grandma at home. If you were bringing $1million dollars cash along on your vacation would you leave it with the ship staff and head out on your own? Your child is far more valuable than the cash, don't intrust her to strangers when you can't be reached in case of an emergency.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Hi scrap4girls. We used the late evening sitting programs when our son was younger. Unless much has changed since then (he's now 14), they would often have movies, and snacks -- generally some low-key activities to help the kids wind down. Note that there may be a cost for sitting after 10 pm.

Regarding in-port sitting, I have the same concerns as Neil. This was heightened when you mentioned that your stay at this particular port is a short one. I wouldn't risk it. Is there something that you want to do at this port in which your daughter is too young to participate? If so, perhaps just one of you can go, and the other stay on the ship with her, or you find an alternative activity in port instead. JMHO.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Yes, imagine if for some reason you didn't get back to the ship before it sailed. You are in port and your daughter is on the ship. Not a good situation.

Late sitting is as Lisa said. And there is even late time but the costs of that service can very, so check when you get on board. You may need to "reserve" a sitter, so it would help if you could decide which nights you would want that before getting on the ship and reserve the sitter the first day.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 PM

wow, we didn't think this through. I forget we are going to be in another country and its not like leaving her at preschool. I'm sure the kid club programs are safe. I've never heard anything wrong with the child care.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
The ship care might be safe, but when you are off the ship...you always have to be alert...and leaving the ship without the child...well that's a NO NO I would have to say...Grandpa here a lot of children, grandchildren and a Great Grandchild...would never leave them alone like that...and you may want to check with the ship to see if you could even do that....But some alone time on the ship is a must for you....Have a Great and Safe cruise...

Bob E
Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Childrens programs are indeed safe. Crazy things can happen though. When you're here at home your cell phone always reaches a tower and the staff of the daycare has your number and probably has a medical release form (if they don't provide them one) to get her immediate medical care should you not be able to be reached. Things can happen, the bus or cab you take from the pier can break down. Your little girl could have a simple fall and need stitches or a bone set for ladning on something, God forbid. But in a foreign land with a floating hotel that must meet a schedule you just don't want to take any chances. On the ship you can be paged and staff can notify you of any issues. Once you leave the ship if something dreadful goes wrong you're out of the loop.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

My apologies if I gave a less-than-stellar impression of the kids programs. That wasn't my intent -- in fact, most programs are wonderful, and our son loved going there when he was younger. My only concern for you is the in-port sitting as you are not reached easily if she needs you, or -- worst case scenario -- the ship sails without you and she is onboard without her parents.

Which ship and itinerary will you be doing?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 AM

We are going on the Star. (3 of us) We are taking her to the dolphin swim and because we were thinking she would be to tired to go shopping after all that excitment we would get her day care. I do agree with you about not leaving with her on the ship alone. to bad shes to big for a stroller even though shes small for her age. I do have a jogging stroller but that seams very large to bring on the ship.

Closed Thread