Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 AM

My wife and I are going on our very first cruise in Aug, 06 aboard the Pride of Aloha. We then are spending 10 days on Oahu (not Honolulu). Anyways, I have lowered my expectations of this cruise because of the horrible reviews I have been reading. However, most unsatisfied customers have been on several cruises already. Most seemed put off by the freestyle cruising.

Are there any good reviews of the Pride of Aloha out there from 2006?

Please?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:55 PM

My husband and I went june 2-9th 2006. We had soooo much fun! We read all the terrible reviews before we left and we were so worried. The crew was awesome! We met nice people from all over the world. We didn't care for the buffets. Crossings and the Palace were very good. We never had to wait for a table more than 10 min. also, try the ones you need to have a cover charge. They're sooo worth it. You pay $10.00 per person and can get as many things on the menu as you like. We went on this cruise thinking that we're in hawaii and how bad can it get? We have no complaints. We rented cars in all the ports. Good luck and I hope help my review helps. =o)
Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 AM

K,

Thanks for the response! I'm not expecting a floating Hilton, so I'm hoping We'll find things just fine.

Few questions though, if you dont mind:
-Is it true there is no soap supplied in the rooms?
-Knowing what you know now, what are the best times to eat on the ship without doing the $10 cover charge options?
-Did you prebook any shore excursions, or did you go on your own every day?
-how long did embarkation actually take from the time you arrived at port?
-How long does disembakation take from the time you leave your room at the appointed time?
ANY details, and I mean any, are greatly appreciated. I'm a 1st time cruiser, and a lot of little things you guys take for granted as common cruise knowledge might be news to me.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:24 AM
We weren't on the Pride, but we were on the Wind. There were liquid soap dispensers in the shower and at the vanity. If you want to use bar soap, you'll need to bring it with you. Also, it was a combination shampoo/conditioner in the shower. Same thing - if you prefer to use a separate shampoo and conditioner, you'll need to bring your own.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 PM

Run Todd Run! Just back from 6/16 Pride of Aloha. Dining experience was a hideous ordeal. Morale of employees is suffering as they would routinely complain to guests about having to work 70-80 hour weeks because they are missing 250+ crew and the ones left seem to be very green and do not have their acts together. When we docked at first port, one server told us 25 servers got off and never came back.

They are SERIOUSLY and painfully understaffed (we heard due to pulling people off this ship to get new Pride of Hawaii going). We'd routinely wait 45 mins to be seated and seethe while viewing 17+ empty tables which remained empty due to not enough staff to run them. We felt lucky if we got finished within 2 hours AFTER being seated (at both breakfast and dinner times). Service was super slow, parts of orders forgotten at nearly EVERY meal, no head waiter/assistant waiter team except at ONE dinner. I called one a.m. for simple coffee room service and was told there was a 1-hour wait - FOR COFFEE! A topic at almost every meal among new tablemates was the short staff/poor service situation.

Other aspects were ok - itinerary GREAT, cabin service GREAT, food ok, entertainment ok - although we missed some evening stuff due to being stuck in the dining room.

Compared to our past Carnival experiences, this NCL was sooooo far below, it was like a bad joke.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:04 PM

P
Old 07-10-2006, 05:32 AM

Well, should I want to cancel.. can I? I booked through an online travel agency. The cruise has been paid for for almost a full year now.

Can I get money back if I decide to go this option?

Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 AM

hhmm - not sure Todd. That's something to work through with your travel agent as every agency has their own cancellation rules/policies.

If you do go, just be prepared for the dining hassles. If you go in knowing what to expect, it may not be that big of a deal to you. Our expections were set from our previous Carnival experiences and so we expected the same.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 PM

We just returned from NCL's cruise. I, too, read all these horrible reviews. We were pleasantly surprised.

We had no problems with dining. The majority of those onboard were interested in the buffet, which we avoided except for breakfast. We did have a maximum 30-minute wait one night but they give you pagers so you don't have to wait at the restaurant. We had no problem with the specialty restaurants. Be sure to make reservations a day before, though, to ensure you get the time and restaurant of your choice.

There is a cruise book at the docks which was very helpful. The ports are very accommodating! There are shuttles and easy arrangements made right at the dock. I was surprised about how easy it was. We never had to wait for any embarkation or debarkation. In Kona, we had to use tenders to get ashore. We slept in and went ashort about 10 a.m. with not a minute's wait. I found all of that very smooth.

We didn't find a single person rude or unhelpful. They didn't complain about any of the hours until we asked. Each staff person evidently signs a five-month contract, and many we discovered were using the opportunity to save money at home becuase they avoid living expenses and can actually pocket their income. Everyone was very friendly and tried to be helpful.

There was soap and shampoo in the bathroom -- not bar soap, however. There was also a hair dryer. And beach towels were supplied for the pool AND the ports, which was an extremely nice touch -- not advertised.

The ship did an afternoon sail along the entire coast of Kauai, which was gorgeous. We also sailed by the tip of Hawaii to observe the lava flows at night -- and the captain turned the ship 360 degrees so everyone got a great view. It was a highlight!

The cabins are small but the staff was very agreeable. We ordered room service a few times and never waited more than 15 minutes -- often much less.

It's odd to me how many people aboard sit on the pool deck with everyone else, visit the main buffet and never venture any further. The buffet at the aft end of the ship often had no lines (and that's where the waffle bar is). We were in restaurants that were virtually empty and bars that were empty. Seek them out and you'll have a great experience!

Enjoy!

As far a
Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ToddCan:
My wife and I are going on our very first cruise in Aug, 06 aboard the Pride of Aloha. We then are spending 10 days on Oahu (not Honolulu). Anyways, I have lowered my expectations of this cruise because of the horrible reviews I have been reading. However, most unsatisfied customers have been on several cruises already. Most seemed put off by the freestyle cruising.

Are there any good reviews of the Pride of Aloha out there from 2006?

Please?

Closed Thread

Tags
aloha, pride, todd