Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 PM

I wish we were joining you but alas, we've had to change our plans. Looks like we'll be on the Sky on the April 20th sailing, at least tentatively. Have a great trip!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 PM

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

SUDHIR, use the BB code option for your signature and it should work. Any problems, let me know.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 PM

i read somewhere that Nassau is about 100 Kms from Miami, then why ceuise ship takes about 12 hrs from Miami to Nassau and again from Nassau to Stirrup Cay, Stirrup Cay seems quite near to Nassau
What's the average speed of the cruise ship/ May sound demb but curious. I read its 23Knot which is equivalent to 42 KMs an hour, just wondering about the ship route
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

It isn't an express bus service, it's a cruise. A main reason for going is to experience the ship and being at sea. And yes, to spend money on the ship. You simply can't show up at a port at any given hour of the night and expect them to moor the ship to the pier. The Port Of Nassau has a schedule. They expect X ship to arrive at Y time. Get there too early and you are going to wait until your scheduled arrival time.

There is no average speed of a cruise ship. The speed is what they need to maintain in order to reach the next port according to the schedule. Running around at top speed also burns more fuel. That means higher costs for the cruise.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

As in ---- Are we there yet Dad????
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
It isn't an express bus service, it's a cruise. A main reason for going is to experience the ship and being at sea. And yes, to spend money on the ship. You simply can't show up at a port at any given hour of the night and expect them to moor the ship to the pier. The Port Of Nassau has a schedule. They expect X ship to arrive at Y time. Get there too early and you are going to wait until your scheduled arrival time.

There is no average speed of a cruise ship. The speed is what they need to maintain in order to reach the next port according to the schedule. Running around at top speed also burns more fuel. That means higher costs for the cruise.
Hello Dave

That doesnt answer my question. I know Cruis is not a bus service and they have schedule like everyone esle like airlines and buses.
I just wanted to know if the ship stands in between or keep just moving at slow speed.........
Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
SUDHIR - I wish you and your family a wonderful voyage on the NCL Sky! She is a pleasant ship with many tasty treats and happy moments awaiting you! We are booked on her for Feb. 2010 and very much looking forward to it!

Please be sure to hurry back and tell us all about it!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 AM

Sudhir, they vary their course and speed. You don't anchor in the middle of the ocean, you will indeed keep moving. Have a great time!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 AM
From my experience and from friends that work on cruise ships as the electrical engineer food/ service manager bar tenders and a few others the ships circle between islands if they are pretty close to next port they have to stay 5 to 10 miles away from land till it is almost time for them to dock they have to pay enormous docking fees and have a scheduled time to be in port and to leave on time or be charged that is why they do not dock to early we were on the spirit and had engine trouble so we were about an hour late getting in port but we had to leave on time they flew in parts and mechanics and they worked on the ship till the next port.
thats whay you pay those pesty little port fees to cover thier docking space like you pay for parking in a garage.

Closed Thread

Tags
accessdeskncl, average, bed, check, cribs, cruise, day, mt, norwegian, norweigen, norweign, reviews, sky, speed, time, toddler, type