Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
Lisa,
Yes, I guess all commercials are deceptive to a degree. I find NCL particularly deceptive in the line that they don't tell you when to play. ALL cruise lines tell you when to play. Bingo, shows, pool games, etc. I respect that everyone has their reasons they like one cruise line over another. I have been on NCL five times. I don't have a problem with them, but do have a preference for some of the other cruise lines.
Getting back to the Commercials. I just find them as I said "deceptive", poorly done and not very effective.
Happy Cruising to All.
Of course NCL has activities scheduled throughout the day and night. You wouldn't expect the performers at the shows to be on all day and night. You shouldn't expect bingo being played all 24 hours, all 7 days of a cruise.
But is it playing to attend these activities?
I don't think so. As I take the new ads, NCL doesn't force you to dine early or late, which determines which show you can attend. You can dine early one night and attend the late show, or attend the first show and dine late the next night. That's something you can't do on other cruise lines. Therefore, I don't believe the NCL ads are being deceptive.
It's impossible to explain what they mean in a 30 second commercial, but using brief one liners in the ad isn't being deceptive.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 PM

The deceptive part of the ad is not what is said but the image projected that other lines are stiff and don't let you do what you want to do.

No one is forced to attend a single meal, show or bingo event on any line. You are restricted by all cruise lines on when you can't see a show, when you can not have a meal in the dining room, when you can not go for a swim etc.

Freestyle does not free the end user, (the cruise passenger) to do any more or less on an NCL ship than on any other ship. The reason they conceived of this was to give them space and time so they don't have to work so hard to meet some deadlines, such as being ready for a 6:00 seating of 1,200 people all at once. I don't think it has really proved to help them.

There is a hint of deception in all advertising and NCL is no exception.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Banned

Its really interesting to see the feedback and comments on the NCL ads.

I think Ron Clark is correct. The cruise lines have to have scheduled events, like pool games, bingo, the main shows, and have scheduled events for the bulk of the pasengers. We have schedules in our own daily lives. NCL truely lets you dine at your leisure. We never had any fixed times to dine on the Pearl and we dined at our own schedule or when finding new friends, we ate at a compromised time like 6:30 PM. After we had a usual 2 hour dinner, we had plenty of time to change clothes, get relaxed and still see the last show. In fact we found the last show was best for us, while many choose to see the early show, then eat later. One couple that we meet from the upscale CourtYard Villa never attended any of the shows. So its what you want to do.

NCL is just trying to make a point, "don't look at your watch, dine when you want", while cruise lines make you select the seating times when making the cruise reservation.

Its plain and simple, and looks the ads are effective, especially in light that some viewers are reacting as strongly as they are right here on these small message boards.

The ads made you aware of at least something, and thats what advertising is all about. When I saw them on the ship, all of them, I really liked them, and thought immediately, yes we can dine when we want. NCL makes it so easy. Thats why we will be back on the Pearl May 20th, 2007 to Alaska.

They are "simply irreistable".
Old 02-19-2007, 05:02 PM

I wouldn't say the NCL ad was effective just because it started a discussion on this board. And I wouldn't say it made people aware what advertising is all about. I have an MBA degree and already knew that. What advertising should accomplish is to make people aware of your product and want to buy it.
Anyone can twist the ads to mean what they want them to mean. The other cruise lines could say they have Freestyle dining too. Would it be considered deceptive that they didn't mention it was buffet dining? So therefore; they don't "force" you to do anything either, as Ron suggest. You will look at your watch on NCL too if you made a reservation, which they highly recommend.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Goodness, I can't believe how people are getting so worked up over a commercial. I suppose it's my turn now...

First, I still think it's cute. And, it is true, to a degree (on which I will counter, below). On most lines, people still go into the dining room at once, as the commercial shows. (Although we are not all dressed in blue...) And, I remember being on a beach in Bermuda as pax from another ship kept looking at their watches while stating that they had to get back to the ship for dinner.

But, that's about the extent of it. (Here's where I stop defending it.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
You will look at your watch on NCL too if you made a reservation, which they highly recommend.
Very, very true. And, as I mentioned in my post above, you will look at your watch even if you didn't make a reservation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
NCL truely lets you dine at your leisure.
Now, this is something I HAVEN'T seen on my three Freestyle cruises. Sure, if you truly want to dine at 5:45 or 9:15, or if you want to serve yourself dinner at the buffet, you will have no problems. But, if you want to dine at 7:30 in the main dining room, be prepared to wait. Not only have I experienced it, but I also heard this directly from someone who has witnessed this hundreds of times -- a maitre d' with whom I had the pleasure of dining during one of my NCL ship tours.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
Of course NCL has activities scheduled throughout the day and night. You wouldn't expect the performers at the shows to be on all day and night. You shouldn't expect bingo being played all 24 hours, all 7 days of a cruise.
But is it playing to attend these activities?
Yes, I would consider these activities "play," and that is where the commercials are dead wrong.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:

Yes, I would consider these activities "play," and that is where the commercials are dead wrong.
Good post, Lisa,

To be honest, the commercial does not make me want to cruise NCL. The fact that most of us here know the problems others have had with NCL and NCLA plays a factor. I enjoyed my one and only NCL cruise and because of what I read here with very few exceptions, I probably won't go back. To those who have never gone on a cruise, or who have always gone on NCL, it might have an appeal.

At any rate, on any cruise you will always be sure to know the time at any given point because freestyle or not, the ship sails at a specific time and no one wants to miss their ship!

Closed Thread

Tags
ad, agency, category, commercial, cruise, cruising, freestyle, ncl, review, ship, song, spot, spots, tv, upgrade