Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM

I will be surprising my wife for our anniversary with our first cruise. We will be on the Jewel May 29 to June 10. Does anyone have any recommendations on excursions in the Baltic sea should I book them with the cruise line? Also is there anything I should know or do before leaving for my trip. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Welcome Nosneb, my only advice is don't wait too long to reveal the surprise. She'll most likely want to do some shopping before such a trip, at least that's how it works with my bride. Also, including her in the decisions for excursions might be a plus. For a first time cruiser, I'd stick with cruiseline excursions unless you've been to the ports of call other than on a ship. There is some security in doing them with the ship you don't have when on your own or with an outside vendor. Hope your first cruise is spectaular and happy anniversary!

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Copenhagen, Old Stockholm, Helsinski, and Tallinn, are all towns that are walkable. Most cruise lines have shuttles to take you into town Center. Check out the hop on/hop off buses in the Scandanavia countries. Tour centers are either close to the ship or where the shuttles drop you off. In Helsinski there is a big outdoor flea market where you will see beautiful crafts, flowers, and fresh vegtables and fish. Near there is a ferry harbor and you could take an excursion around the harbor on one of the boats. You will learn a lot of history. Tallinn is a beautiful old Walled city. Just walking around the towns cobblestones streets exploring is interesting. We caught a concert going on in the town square. A small Estonian girl was dressed in a belly dance outfit and performed. A young girl dressed in pheasant clothes walked around the square selling flowers. The old architect is beautiful. We watched the Changing of the Guard in Old Stockholm. Very impressive. I believe it started at 12:00 noon, but you need to get there well before for a good spot. In Copenhagen I walked from the ship into the town center. It was a long walk but very beautiful. I walked along the water past the Little Mermaid, and past several statues and monuements and fountains. The lilacs and beautiful flowers may still be out when your there. They lined the water walk. Once you get to Copenhagens town center you can shop until your hearts content walking down the World's longest pedestrian mall. All the way down at the end of the pedestrian mall is Tivoli. In St Petersburg you will need a visa if you don't do the ship's excursions. I wouldn't recommend trying to do it on your own. There are some very reputible companies in St Petersburg that do excursions and are approved by the Government. If you take a tour with one of those companies they will provide the visa. Sorry I can't say anything about Warmemunde, my cruise went to Oslo and Amsterdam instead. I hope you have a great cruise. It's a great itinerary.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 AM

Greetings from Finland Nosneb!

In Helsinki and Tallinn the ship will come very near to the cities. So they are really easy to see by foot. Stockholm is a little farther, but duable, depending on where the port is?

What are you looking for in those cities, maybe I can help you?

CFM told you about Helsinki ferry tours they are great. And if you like to see the city just hop on 3T or 3B tram. It takes you around the city, for about 3 .

Note. All Baltic cities have their own money...
Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 AM

Hey again.
This is the link to the ferry I mean.
http://www.sunlines.fi/web/index.php?id=2
Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Thank you
Old 05-08-2008, 04:12 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Nosneb:
I will be surprising my wife for our anniversary with our first cruise. We will be on the Jewel May 29 to June 10. Does anyone have any recommendations on excursions in the Baltic sea should I book them with the cruise line? Also is there anything I should know or do before leaving for my trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings: I will be getting on the ship as you are leaving, so leave it in good shape

The advice you received was good. The only organized tour that I plan on taking is in St. Petersburg as the cost of a visa partially offsets the cost of the tour.

The other issue is that few people speak English and the signs (I am told) are all in Russian which uses an alphabet that is Greek to me. If I wandered off and got lost I wouldn't be able to ask for help or read the street signs.

With my luck I would wander into KGB headquarters(I know, its not called KGB anymore).

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
baltic, capitals, cruise, english, europe, excursions, jewel, line, norwegian, ports, review, reviews, speak, visa, visit, warmemunde