Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:13 PM

so I've been on 2 other cruises. both times had a balcony. this time due to $$$ for a balcony we ended up with an inside cabin. Of course I'd rather go and stay in an inside cabin than stay home but am I going to be disappointed? Really how much time do we spend in our rooms? It's on the new Pearl.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Mary b.
Many times when someone has tried a balcony they don't like anything else. Did you use your balcony a lot? Did you sit on it watching sunsets, have drinks on it, or coffee in the morning? Did you use it to watch the scenery as you sailed into or out of port? Did you ever keep the door to your balcony open to listen to the waves? An inside cabin is very dark. You will not know what the weather is like when you wake up, and you won't know when you wake up if it is even daylight out yet. If you didn't use your balcony in any of the above mentioned ways then you probably won't miss it. But if you did use your balcony, then you might miss it.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Banned

If all you use your cabin for is to sleep, change clothes, and watch TV, you'll enjoy the inside cabin. They are cheaper for a reason. For less than $50 more per passenger, sometimes even less, you can book an oceanview cabin, at least you'll have a porthole or window to let light into your cabin, and for looking out at the scenery passing by. I like oceanviews as a cheap substitution for a balcony.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

Mary B.

I agree with Mr. Clark. If you can spend just a few more $$$$ than go the oceanview. Porthole or window, will make a difference. Light, sunshine, ocean views, port terminals provide a nice experience. On our last NCL trip, Mary and I had the oceanview while my father went for the inside cabin. Personally I couldn't handle the inside cabin. Yes, you will probably be out of the cabin most of time, but you will also want some time to relax in private. The oceanview cabins provide the above. If you do decide on the inside due to the lowest possible price, take a few night lights to provide lighted guidence at night. You could leave the light on the bathroom and close the door slightly, but otherwise it's dark. On the outside cabins the outside of the ship is iluminated even at night when out to sea. The outside ship lights, provide some guidence at night for restroom visits when needed. We will sail on the Pearl in Feb and have a balcony on the rear of the ship on deck 9. For our Alaska cruise to save a few bucks we opted for the oceanview. I think a good compromise is the oceanview, vs balcony or inside. If you choose an oceanview, I would suggest to avoid the pomenade deck, as you may have passengers walking in front of your window. That gets annoying.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, NM

Pearl Feb 2nd, 2007 Caribbean
Pearl May 20th, 2007 Alaska
Old 01-06-2007, 02:58 PM

I have cruised now 4 times and only had a balcony once. Time I went with my husband. Othertimes, my mother and and my 14 year old son joined me. We only used our cabin to sleep and change clothes. We were always up at the crack of dawn to partake in all of the activities. We had an alarm clock to wake us up because yes it is dark in an inside cabin. Good advice given to take some night lights and extension cords too. If you have $ by all means splurge for the oceanview = you get some light not much else however. I love to people watch as does my mom and you get no view from your balcony so what is the point of having it. As I said, we were never in our room. Too much fun everywhere else on the JEwel. Money best spent on buying yourself some souvenirs and opposed to balconies.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I've stayed in variety of cabin types, and have never been disappointed from going from a higher category to a lower-priced one. The first time we had a balcony, we used it often. The second time, we hardly used it.

Occasionally, inside cabins have a much better location than the lowest-price outside cabins. So, the cabin itself isn't the only consideration if location is also important.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

While we prefer balcony cabins, it is very true that sometimes an inside cabin can be a good choice. For instance, if you like to be near the pool deck it can make sense to book an inside cabin on a high deck. Many ships have inside cabins on the highest accomodation decks - right across the passageway from the suites.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, balcony, bring, cabin, cabins, cruise, iniside, inside, ocean, prefer, ship, spend, time, versus, view