Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 PM

Hello All,
I'm a newbie to cruising. My first trip was a "Cruise to No Where" out of San Francisco on the NCL Spirit. I had such a great time that I booked for the 8 night Mexican Riviera cruise on the NCL Star in Dec. Basically this will be my first "real" cruise. I'm getting nervous reading all the negative things this cruise. Are there people out there who had a positive experiences? If so please let me know.

Also a couple of questions:

I read about the tour guide in Acapulco - Pink Ladies. How much should I pay for a 6 to 8 hour tour?

I know it is suggested to make reservations for dinner at the restaurants, but should I also do this for lunch?

Thank you in advance to everyone!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Hello likenthecruise, and welcome to cruise-chat; I've never been quite able to understand why NCL seems to elicit either rave reviews or is completely trashed. I have never been on NCL but none of the cruises I have been on are that completely black or wite.

But to answer your question; a fellow I work with, who I introduced to cruising a few years ago, just did your cruise in March and had nothing bad to say at all. He loved the ship, the food and the service. He was a little disappointed with a couple of the ports but that had nothing to do with NCL. He admitted his expectations were unreasonably high since it was his first experience in Mexico. He is ready to do another NCL cruise, probably the Caribbean. That is the best indication of a satisfied customer.

I've never heard of the Pink Ladies, so I can't help there.

I also don't know how NCL's dining reservation system works; but I wouldn't think reservations for lunch would ever be necessary.

So relax, enjoy your cruise. Don't let the naysayers bother you. I have it on good authority that you will have a wonderful time.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Hi f-mattox

Thank you for your response!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Hello
I sailed on the "STAR" last October down to the Mexican Riviera and had a blast! This was my second cruise with NCL, after cruising on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. After booking my first with NCL, I too thought maybe I had made a mistake,after reading so many negatives. I thought it was going to be a cruise from hell. But it actually was a very nice cruise. Service was great and food was good,So I had no problem booking another cruise with them. The STAR is a beautiful ship. I still prefer the tradional dinning but FreeStyle works better when your cruise is so port intent, as the 8 days Mex.Riviera cruise is. If you want to make dinner reservations at one of the speciality Restaurants do so 24 hrs in advance (in the a.m.). My only advice is to "not let the negative posts ruin your cruise, go with an open mind & a good attitude and you will have a great time. We booked most of our shore excursions ourselves when we got off the ship, for half the price that NCL was charging. But if you were thinking about doing the canopy tour,in Puerto Vallarta, I would book it on the ship, because we were unable to locate the ticket booth once we got off the ship. We were a group of 13 and everyone had a great time. Enjoy your cruise!
Roberta

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM

This is for Cruzfever. Thank you for writting something good about NCL. I have read so many negatives about NCl. I have never cruise before on NCL so I don't know what is being said is true or how much is true. It is finally nice just to hear something nice about NCL so again thank you.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Hi Cruzfever,
Thank you for making me feel better! Also thank you for the advice on the Canopy Tour! Now I'm really getting excited!!

Aileen
Old 08-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

I concur with F-Mattox.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Banned

The Star is a beautiful ship. Some Mexician Riveria ports aren't as nice as others is a common complaint I read from many. What's strange is that the poor port choice changes per reviewer.

The most common poor port is about Acapulco. Yet many other will rave about it, liking it the best. Aren't you confused?

I believe cruise lines choose ports for an itinerary that provide passengers, that's you and me, a wide variety of ports. Some have been developed with tourist attractions and shops, some are still relatively undeveloped, and some will have great beaches. The ports are chosen to attract the most passengers to take a cruise on their ships. What one passenger will love, another will dislike.

If you think one port on your itinerary is a poor choice, I suggest trying the most popular excursion at that port, there must be a reason so many have chosen it, or just stay aboard the ship that day, enjoying the nearly empty ship.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Hi Aileen (likenthecruise), and welcome to cruise-chat! I love your screen name, by the way.

Reservations are not needed for lunch in the main dining rooms. Yet, I do recall that they opened one of the specialty restaurants for a sushi lunch a couple of times on our cruise last year -- but I don't recall if reservations were necessary. (There was a charge, however, for this special lunch).

I encourage you to take lunch at least once in the main (no charge) dining room -- it's so nice to have a sit-down meal in such beautiful surroundings. Same goes for breakfast.

As for the ports, I have heard rave reviews of the Canopy Tour Cruzfever mentioned -- book this soon if you're interested.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:21 PM

Hi Ron and LisaP

Thank you for all your advice. I've contacted a Canopy tour and I'm checking to see if I have enough time.

Another question to the experienced cruisers...
Will I get a cell signal while on the boat during the Mexican Riviera? I'm hoping not... so my boss can't call me

Closed Thread