Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Ok this is wierd. AFter speaking a with a few cruise gurus I was told to see if I can get an upsale for my voyage.. especially being this far out (4/21 sale date) so I call the number they gave me (800-625-4309) and connect with an agent within a few rings. After going through the whole thing and giving all my info yada yada I was told NCL no longer allows their agents to take incoming calls for upsale, I will have to wait till I board the vessel. Is this something new or did I do a cruise no no?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Try again, maybe you'll get someone else. Ask for a supervisor, threaten to cancel, anything to get them off their backside to help you. If all that confirms the policy than I guess that is all there is to it.

Did you use a travel agent to book? Perhaps they could go to work for you.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM

I called back 3 times today all diffrent folks all the same response

Unfortunatley I didnt use a travel agent I used an online site.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned

Jude:

We have sailed NCL several times. Many passengers look or request upsales to a higher grade cabin if possible. This is the way we understand NCL and we went thru this ourselves.

NCL knows the availibilty of all cabins on their ships on a daily basis, minute to minute. It is a rule of thumb, that if you ask for an upsell, you won't get it. NCL keeps a list of all future upsells as the reservations come in. If NCL has your e-mail address and you booked thru NCL, they will send an e-mail to you showing what cabins are available and the cost to upgrade. You will then have a certain period of time to respond as the upsells are a first come first serve basis. This happened to us when sailing on the Pearl. We upgraded to a Penthouse AC #9500 from a outside stateroom for $250.00 per person more. We were very lucky as we where on the computer when the e-mail upsell came thru, decided in 5 minutes and quickly made the change. It was the best decision yet.

Another story. When we were on the Pearl 9 day Southern Caribbean Feb 2nd, 2007, we meet a very nice couple in Cagneys for breakfast. The same day they contacted the concierge, and they were able to move up to a 2 bedroom suite in the Courtyard Villa for a nominal fee. The room was beautiful on Deck 14 and they paid $1000 more for the 9 days. A great value. Then they moved another passenger into their mini suite on the back of the ship deck 8.

So hopefully this may help. If you booked thru an online agent, and not NCL, bet is you will not get an upsell, as NCL will most likely take care of their own reservations first.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Richard & Mary thanks so much. Figures I go through a discount site and will miss out on an upsell I cant complain much though as I got a great deal on an ocean view room (8502) but as anyone can attest too, you like better deals anytime

Another couple that will be traveling with us booked a balcony room and took the room gaurentee which we were told means a possible upgrade on embarkation. Me and the little women took an actual room reservation because we didnt want a hassle. Of course the folks we will be traveling with have been on cruises before and thats why they did what they did which unfortunatley was after we already booked.

Guess I will learn the ropes as more cruises come under my belt.

Thanks for the info and much appreciated. Cant wait any longer for this trip 1month 12days left!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Banned

NCL's upsell department is very small and was over loaded with incoming calls asking for upsells. This caused the change in policy to
"Don't call us, we'll call you."

I've read and heard others getting upsell calls from those who booked directly with NCL, or through an on line travel agency. I personally have been offered an upsell deal on a cruise booked through an on line travel agency. Therefore, it doesn't really matter who you booked your cruise with. And I didn't have my name on any list either.
What matters is what's available, and what you've booked. Most often, upsell deals are made to free up cabins that could be sold to others on a waiting list. They move you out of the desirable cabin into a higher classification cheaply, so they can resell your cabin at full price to another party.
In my case, I had booked an oceanview that could sleep 4 passengers, and was offered an upsell into a balcony cabin cheaply that could only sleep 3. Apparently, there were others of a party of 4 wanting an oceanview cabin.
You really have no control if the upsell fairy is going to call or not. Repeated calls swamping them might get you placed on a do not call list. So, be patient, and wait for the call. It will come, if you are lucky, whether you're on a list or not.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 AM

I shall keep my fingers crossed. I wouldnt mind an upsell to a balcony or mini suite. I cant complain though. I have an oceanview room CC for E prices. Stupid online place lost my reservation which made me redo it then I had a call from my CC company asking why I booked the same cruise within 5 min of each other. I called there customer service number and basically flipped out on them. They turned around and gave me a better room for the price I already paid. Supposedly they are eating the diffrence not NCL so I am hoping for an extra bump. I know it sounds greedy but for a first cruise with the little women I want it to be special.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Banned

Jude:

You may also want to check at registration once you get on board to see if any upgraded cabins are available. The old saying: "it never hurts to ask" would apply here.

On the Pearl on May 20th, 2007....we also booked a guarenteed balcony, which our agent says that all are filled, so we also are hoping for a small upgrade. A move to the Courtyard Villa for a $1000 extra would be exceptional, but will just have to wait and see. We don't want to be placed on a "do not call for upgrades list", like Ron noted above. We were lucky once, and hoping that we can hit the lottery once again as a loyal and past NCL customer.

Richard & Mary
NCL Pearl May 20th to ALASKA......

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, call, caribean, carnival, changed, comp, cruise, lines, ncl, norwegian, room, royal, upsale, upsales, upsell