Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:48 AM

just wondering, we never asked for a "free" upgrade when checking in at the dock. Is there any such thing? If you get there early do you stand a better chance? What is the best way to go about this. We really would rather have a balcony but have an oceanview. thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Hi Mary,

we were lucky last time on NORWEGIAN PEARL. We booked an inside stateroom on Deck 5 in the cheapest category and got an free upgrade to a balcony ocean view stateroom on Deck 9.

Our booking was one of the very first when the sale started.

When we received the travel documents all records show the booked stateroom.

Have a look to the ncl.com website. If you check for your booking: maybe there is already a new stateroom number displayed although all travel docs show old stateroom number.

Good luck + Happy New Year + Happy Cruising!!!

Regards
HeinBloed
Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 PM

thanks for the info but I'm not sure I understand. Did you ask for the upgrade from NCL prior to your check-in at dock? we arranged our cruise from an outside travel co. but we have cruised with NCl before and we are Lattitudes members. I guess my question is can you ask at check-in or is it better to now? From NCl directly? Please clarify. also anyone out there have an experience with this?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Good Morning,

we just got it - without any request.

We learned about our complimentary upgrade when we arrived at the check-in desk.

And it was our first time experience with NCL.

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mary b.:
thanks for the info but I'm not sure I understand. Did you ask for the upgrade from NCL prior to your check-in at dock? we arranged our cruise from an outside travel co. but we have cruised with NCl before and we are Lattitudes members. I guess my question is can you ask at check-in or is it better to now? From NCl directly? Please clarify. also anyone out there have an experience with this?
It's much better to book a better cabin now, rather than waiting until you are aboard the ship. NCL aggressively lowers the fares to fill a ship, and offers upsells for better cabins; there's not going to be many better cabins left to upgrade to when you get aboard the ship.

To help define this discussion, upgrades happen when passengers booking guarantee cabins, which on NCL ships have only a few, as low as just four cabins, in the classification. So many receive a free upgrade into a higher classification cabin.
Upsells occur when NCL customer service agents call you or your travel agent offering you a great deal for a better cabin, from Penthouses to Owner's Suites, from Mini Suites to Penthouses, from Balcony cabins to Mini Suites, etc. The upsell deal usually starts around 50% the price difference of the upsell cabin and what you paid for your cabin. The fare price is negotiable, so be willing to haggle with them if you are interested. They usually start calling and offer upsell deals three to two weeks prior to a cruise. Don't call them asking for one, they initiate all the calling.

Lattitudes members should inform the NCL customer service agent or their travel agent when first booking their cruise, as they can swing your free "Lattitude" upgrade, assuming you qualify for one, when you book your cabin.

Waiting to the last minute hoping for a great deal on a better cabin is much too late to do so.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:40 PM

thank you! that clears it up.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 AM

I realize this question was posted in regard to NCL but it's been many years since we've arrived at the ship & found an unannounced upgrade. Since most ships we've taken lately (Princess, RCI) have been at full capacity there's not much of a chance of it happening. As some one else has said, if you book a guarantee you'll be sure to get an upgrade but it might not be on a deck or location you might have otherwise selected.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Banned

Once again, Ron Clark is 100% correct. We are booked on the NCL Pearl for the Feb 2nd, 2007 sailing. We got an e-mail from NCL and they offered an upgrade from outside stateroom with balcony to a class AC Penthouse room #9500 for $125 per person. So yes, we jumped on the deal. They only had a few upgrades, about 6 total and offerred several upgrades via an e-mail directly to Mary. Since Mary was at the computer at the time of receiving the e-mail, a quick call back to NCL in Miami, locked in our upgrade. They immediately added the charge to our credit card, sent Mary a confirming e-mail immediately showing the new room, and told us since the tickets for the cruise were on the way, the tickets would NOT reflect the new cabin number, but at the check-in counter the ladies/guys at NCL check-in in Miami would have the data. We are on this cruise as Platinum Latitudes members, so maybe that is why we were choosen for an upgrade, but I can't say for sure. They even offered the Courtyard Villa to us.

See you all on the Pearl Feb 2nd, 2007.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

Closed Thread

Tags
chance, check, checkin, classifications, cruise, haggle, ncl, norwegian, offer, pearl, port, room, upgrade, upgrades, upsell