Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Hey landluver, (quess the name was wished for a few times that night) Thanks for your first hand update. We just recently did a cruise with NCL and our 2 yr old so with the conditions you speak of I can't imagine what we would have done. It truly is upseting to know now that all yours and many other peoples dreams and plans of many months were jeapordized for their finacial gain. I know we planned and dreamed for months and to have it changed within hours or days would have been disheartening, not to mention the "incident" and related results in itself. enough said, thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 AM
I happened onto the post about the apprentice shoot, and it got me thinking in jan we went on the ncl sun and we were to arive back at 6 am we were there in miami the morning the ships from 3 companies came in as we stayed the night at holiday inn with port view so we could watch them come in at 6 in morning, now we did our cruise we left COZUMEL AT ABOUT 5 PM OR SO AND IT SEEMED THE CAPT. WAS IN SOME BIG HURRY BECAUSE AT DINNER AND THE REST OF THE NIGHT THE SHIP WAS AT A MAXIMINE SPEED ROCKING AN ROLLING AND i AWOKE AT 3 AM AND WE WERE IN MIAMI PORT. WE WERE NOT DUE IN TILL 6;: MAKES ME WONDER IF HE HAD A PHOTO OPT UMMMMMMMMM
Old 04-30-2005, 03:24 AM

peachcrek,

from my experience (not only with NCL but with many different cruise lines) it is not unusual to arrive significantly earlier than originally scheduled. As the cruise lines would like to make sure that the next cruise departs on time, they usually allow plenty of "play" for the final leg of a cruise, if possible. Of course this depends on the itinerary.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-30-2005, 06:02 AM

Another reason that cruise ships like to arrive back in port as early as possible has to do with US Customs and Immigration. With the new security measures in place AND not enough customs officials to handle all the cruise ships arriving at once, "they like to be first in line", so to speak. It has been my experience that no matter what cruise line I am sailing, they arrive at the disembarkation port earlier than scheduled.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-30-2005, 08:01 AM

First of all, to Tony, Thanks for understanding!
In regards to the early porting: Yes, I agree, however, due to our itinery changes since we went to the private island, then came back to Miami, we had to go through customs and immigration in Miami. As I understand from other passengers, that was another inconvenience for several people. Because even if you did not have a scheduled shore excursion, you had to leave the ship. From what I am told, some of these passengers had to remain off the ship for three hours in the hot sun with no drinks. Therefore, this ship did not have to be first in line in New York.
I have also heard that a Royal Carribean ship was in port in Miami when the Dawn was there, and they decided to stay ported and not sail through the storm. (Betcha they didn't have to be back in New York to see TRUMP!)
Another bit of information I received is that the Dawn does not sail the week of May 8th.
I'm wondering why the Apprentice shoot could not have been scheduled then.
I will say it again, this cruise was just poor mismanagement and decision making all around. From the very beginning with the "unscheduled event - Apprentice shoot", to the itinery changeS,which caused many inconveniences, to sailing through the storm.
I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but I am. Like Tony stated, this was six months of planning and dreaming of a wonderful vacation with friends, thinking we would have great memories, not just the adults, but the children as well.
Yes, we have memories,--memories of NCL jeopardizing our vacation for their financial gain.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:16 PM

Hi Landluvr:

I too appreciate all of your insights, being as you were, on the spot!

I definitely feel for you and your family but I guess I'm just a bit of a cynic when I say 'what can you expect from a corporation?' Unfortunately that fine print that states that the itinerary is subject to change does not contain any caveats like “we can’t change it merely for our financial gain”…pity!

As I have stated previously, I do love NCL and Paul and I think of the Dawn as "our" ship. However, I never lose site of the fact that they're just another corporation, out to make money. Sometimes corporations make really bad decisions that can lead to vacations of a lifetime becoming one big nightmare.

Bear in mind, I'm not talking about the wave incident when I allude to nightmare. As has been stated by you and others, mother nature is who she is and it seems the Dawn was destined to be hit whether she was 5 hours later, 5 hours earlier, traveling at 25 knots or at a dead stop!

What is important is that you all made it out of the thing safely.

The real nightmare is the fact that your well laid plans to visit all these wonderful places were dashed by some corporate bean counter (my apologies to all accountants out there) who thought this was a good idea! As a side-note I think “The Apprentice” is the worst of the worst of American TV (and I don’t think much of American TV at all and don’t watch it) I would be quite angry to find out such changes were made to make an appearance on that horrible show!

I am curious (and forgive me if I've missed this in what has now become quite a LARGE post) has NCL compensated the passengers with a free cruise? It seems like very cheap PR to me and well worth any lost revenues to recoup their image.

I hope you'll give NCL another chance. No, I don't work for them but I happen to believe that they're basically a good company; they have a good fleet and an excellent concept. We're still very much looking forward to our 11-day in December. Of course we're hoping for calm seas and smooth sailing but will make the best of it no matter what. I pray Mother Nature doesn't throw us any big waves and as I said before, I'm glad you and yours made it out of this incident unscathed!

Take care,

Darryl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 AM
I am sure alot of ships try to come in a little extra early I have been to miami twice this year and took cruises and stayed at the holiday inn, my window to the port side and we watched as each ship came in the wee hours from 5 am on, both times it just seem a little strange that this trip last time, it seemed the capt. was on a mission to get back to port in big hurry maybe he he had a hot date!!! the last nite we were all a little seasick and were fighting the rolls in the hallway when I went out on my balcony we were really clipping along I have been on 6 cruises and usually the trip back is calm and leisurly, just could not understand what the hurry was thanks for letting me vent fran
Old 05-01-2005, 07:15 PM

Hey Darryl:
The information we were given before we disembarked was that NCL will be refunding us 50% of the cost of the cruise, not the port charges, not the transportation, just the cruise. The other 50% they are giving us in a voucher towards a future cruise. Haven't received any correspondence from NCL yet,.....
(and the saga continues....)
Anyway, thanks for listening and chatting!
I wish you well on your future cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, coast, dawn, dawn2005cnn, florida, freak, hit, monster, ncl, norwegian, norweigan, pictures, reviews, struck, wave