Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Norwegian Dawn News Update

Miami, Fla., April 16, 2005 5:15pm EST
Last night on her return to New York, Norwegian Dawn experienced extremely rough weather. Although the weather had become slightly calmer at daybreak, the ship was hit by a freak wave that caused two windows to break in two different cabins. There was flooding in 62 cabins and four passengers were hurt with cuts and bruises.

The safety and integrity of the ship was in no way compromised by this incident.

Norwegian Dawn has diverted to Charleston, South Carolina to conduct repairs. Passengers whose cabins were flooded are being flown home from Charleston.

Once repairs are complete, the ship will continue to New York. At this time, the company estimates that the ship will arrive around noon on Monday. As things stand now, embarkation will commence at 3 p.m. on Monday. However, the embarkation time will be finalized once the ship has a definitive arrival time so passengers and travel agents should monitor the NCL Web site or call 1-800-625-5672 for updates.

NCL is working to contact all travel agents with guests sailing on the April 17 cruise to inform them of the details.

The tentative schedule is below:
Day Port Arrive Depart
4/18 - Mon New York, NY - - 5pm
4/19 - Tue At Sea
4/20 - Wed Orlando (Port Canaveral), FL 11am 9pm
4/21 - Thu Miami, FL 9am 6pm
4/22 - Fri Nassau, Bahamas 7am Noon
4/23 - Sat At Sea
4/24 - Sun New York, NY 10am

In accordance with Norwegian Dawn's Winter Weather Guarantee, guests on the upcoming cruise will receive a $100 per person ($200 maximum per stateroom) onboard credit and additionally, the cruise fare will be prorated by one day, which will be refunded to the passenger's onboard account along with the onboard credit.

The company will provide updates as they become available.

# # #

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-17-2005, 03:29 PM

It was just reported on a radio station here in Canada that the size of this wave was 7 stories and did in fact cause some structual damage to the ship but not enough to cause evacuation. and made it sound like the damage to the ship was heavier than reported here, and that there were several people with injuies? there were four cabin windows blown out and as you report alot flooded?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:02 PM

Hello Tony,

I understand the wave was approx. 20-25 meters high (which translates to approx. 65-80 ft.).

I do not believe it has caused structural damage, however. As mentioned in the below update from NCL, the ship is underway to New York and its next cruise will depart tomorrow. There's no doubt that this incident caused a lot a "cosmetic damage", i.e. broken glass etc. - but it would have been impossible to repair any structural damage within 24 hours.

Also, it would have been utterly ridiculous to evacuate (!) the ship in those heavy seas. I'm 100% sure that as far as its seaworthyness is concerned, the ship was never in any danger of sinking, which would have beeen the only reason I can think of which in that situation would have justified an evacuation.

By the way, I have read a report from somebody onboard the ship (a passenger that is!), who wrote that NCL managed the situation in an excellent matter.

There's no doubt whatsoever that this must have been a horrible experience for the people onboard, not only passengers but crew, as well. However, freak waves are very rare, and the risk of encountering one is extremely small, indeed.

I hope those injured will recover, soon. It appears, however, that indeed nobody was seriously hurt.

The following is the most recent update from NCL:

Quote:
Norwegian Dawn News Update

April 17, 2005 -- Norwegian Cruise Line is pleased to report that Norwegian Dawn left Charleston, South Carolina at 12:30 a.m. last night after completing successful repairs to the two windows that were broken on Saturday morning. U.S. Coast Guard inspected the repairs and the vessel is now on its way to New York.

The company estimates that the ship will arrive at noon on Monday and embarkation will commence at 3 p.m.

Further to the tentative itinerary that was announced 4/16/05 for the voyage commencing 4/18/05 of Norwegian Dawn the company has an important update.

First, please be assured we are doing everything we can to ensure we have three strong ports of call this week to maximize guest satisfaction.

The itinerary currently published, was selected because all three ports on the itinerary (Port Canaveral, Miami and Nassau) are ports where Norwegian Dawn docks rather than anchors. That is important because it provides us with a high level of confidence that no further changes to the itinerary will be necessary. When tendering in Great Stirrup Cay, our private island, the wind does not have to pick up very much for us to have to cancel the call.

We recognize, however, that Great Stirrup Cay is an extremely popular call on this itinerary. Because of the additional distance from Great Stirrup Cay to New York, versus the distance from Nassau to New York, it is not possible to offer a port call in Great Stirrup Cay on Friday April 22nd. The ship has to leave Great Stirrup Cay first thing in the morning in order to meet our scheduled arrival time in New York, leaving no possibility for our guests to spend the day there.

However, one feasible option to provide a full day in the private island is to replace Miami with Great Stirrup Cay. Norwegian Dawn’s Captain will implement this change this coming week, in the event that the forecast on Wednesday (when we are in Port Canaveral) is such that we can be reasonably certain that the weather will not prevent us from offering a safe and comfortable tendering operation in the private island.

In the event the weather is in our favor this week, the itinerary will therefore be as follows:
Day Port Arrive Depart
4/18 - Mon New York, NY 5pm
4/19 - Tue At Sea - - - -
4/20 - Wed Orlando (Port Canaveral), FL 11am 9pm
4/21 - Thu Great Stirrup Cay 9am 6pm
4/22 - Fri Nassau, Bahamas 7am Noon
4/23 - Sat At Sea - - - -
4/24 - Sun New York, NY 10am

There is no such thing as 100 percent certainty, but if we wait as long as possible to make the decision we can offer an itinerary with the best possibility of three good port calls including what to many of our guests is the highlight of the cruise – Great Stirrup Cay. Please understand, however, that in the event that the weather looks like the tendering operation in our private island may not be feasible, then we will continue to Miami and complete the itinerary currently announced including, Port Canaveral, Miami and Nassau.

We very much appreciate the patience and understanding of our guests as we plan the schedule for this week that delivers the very best possible itinerary.

Should there be any further update necessary it will be posted on our website www.ncl.com or via our update telephone number 1-800-625-5672.

# # #

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Firstly Raoul; I hope you didn't think I was contraticting your report I was just "quoting" a Canadian news report, Who have since now gone as far as playing a couple interviews with passengers one who said "it was actually several waves and he was a couple rooms down the hall from ones with windows smashed out" and " we were thrown around like rag dolls for awhile" .They also mentioned again the "structual damgage, but not taking on water" and "broken glass in many restruants, and furniture" . Your report was great and I look forward to hearing/ reading more first had reports, Either way a frightening night I don't wish on anyone,
ps sorry I didn't see other thred when I post on other forum? C YA
Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony:
Firstly Raoul; I hope you didn't think I was contraticting your report I was just "quoting" a Canadian news report
Hello Tony,

don't worry. It's just that the mass media often report, well, rubbish when it comes to incidents like this one.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-18-2005, 03:53 AM

GOOD MORNING RAOUL, found alot of interseting info on another site, not the least was this www.nydailynews.com under "trip was hellon the high seas". Very interseting read with, "quotes from passengers..." as the one I heard from passengers and also about the Coast Guard investigating a call for help from capt. they have no record off? I have seen a few pictures now , and unless you work for NCL, youd have to say they are quite real and not "rubbish". Unfortunate freak of nature that could happen anytime. Have a nice day. end of story.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:54 AM

Hello Tony,

it amazes me again and again that people trust the mass media more than those media that are specialized in a certain area. Do I work for NCL? No, certainly not. Actually, if you browse through past postings, you will see that I have critizised NCL many times including most recently in regards to their IMHO very poor handling of the S/S "Norway" saga.

If "Norwegian Dawn" had indeed been structurally damaged, both the U.S. Coast Guard and its Classification Society would not have allowed her to leave Charleston or even embark for her next cruise today.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the freak wave caused lots of damage, including broken glass and furtniture and the results of flooded cabins. However, I can only repeat it once more: There has been no proof whatsoever that there is any structural damage.

Do you think those passengers who said that despite the horrifying situation, NCL did a good job to take care of them (isn't it interesting that hardly ever find statements like that in tabloid newspapers?) have been paid by NCL?

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 PM

Hi there Raoul!

I’m so glad to have you’re account of this unfortunate incident with my favorite ship.

While I do love NCL and the Norwegian Dawn I am by no means blinded by the fact that NCL is a corporation and thus have their best interests , specifically their image, in mind. Indeed, if you read the press release on their site their spin on the incident is very toned down. With that said, it is obvious that this incident, while horrifying to all and sundry aboard was just that, an incident.

Furthermore, this is directed to Tony, I notice that you quote "The New York Daily News". I think I'd believe "The National Inquirer" before I'd believe them...they are the worst of all the "fish wrappers" out there – bar none!

Please realize that all newspapers and the news media in general are more interested in selling toothpaste and automobiles than they are in reporting the news in a straightforward and honest manner. Unfortunately, sensationalism sells and simply reporting a freak wave, some broken windows and flooding is just plain boring to the blood thirsty news hungry public.

The fact that The Dawn is already back on a scheduled itinerary is testament to the fact that A. As I stated before, this is only an incident, not a horrifying accident and B. She's a well-built, solid ship and I'm glad she took this like the lady that she is.

Paul and I are booked for the 12/11 cruise for 11 days and I'm glad she'll be with us!

Take care everyone.

Darryl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-18-2005, 08:46 PM

Darryl, thank you for your reason. I have to completely agree with you. The media sees headlines like this as good business. This morning, I was at the gym working out and I heard people talking about the incident, as it was reported in San Diego. You would have thought that thousands of people must have died.

Tom
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 AM

Morning, Thanks for your reply, Firstly the only cruise line I have sailed with is NCL , And I loved it so this was not a bash at them. I live in Canada not NY and one paper to another means nothing, This paper and the radio station I heard like that on CNN ( I believe there reputable ) were "quoting " passengers on BOARD SHIP AT THE TIME; NOT ON A MESG BOARD) .I also stated I would love too hear more first hand reports as the story had only just broken (in MY AREA) when Rauol and I first spoke. IN closing for good , another site had a lot more talk on this "incident" Darryl snd some was sent threw with pic. i.e.
http:/community.webshots.com/user/gissjp
if that doesn't work look at cruise critic site under NCL, thats were I found a couple pictures of NCL staff replacing the missing steel hand railing and hot tubs and perhaps other minor Stuctual damage? (to me the structural damage is more than than breaking the ship in two, it includes broken doors, railings, interior walls) Either way all are safe, it was an "incident" that was unforseen and life goes on. YA all have a good one. C-YA

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, coast, dawn, dawn2005cnn, florida, freak, hit, monster, ncl, norwegian, norweigan, pictures, reviews, struck, wave