Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 PM

My family and I are leaving on the 13th on the Spirit. We've cruised several times before, but this is the first for NCL. I am looking foward to trying free style cruising. Can anybody share any likes or dislikes about the ship?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

The Spirit is a great ship, honestly I cant remember any dislikes I had about it. Youll have a good time. Just try to find things that you like and forget about the dislikes.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks,I'm sure we'll have a great time. I just was a little nervious after reading some of the reviews of the ship. My daughter and son in law are going with the kids (twins age 3 and a 8 month old.) I heard the kids camp was great, so I know the twins will have fun. Did you have any problems with charging any of your equipment (ie: camera, cam corder) I understand the outlets in the cabins are 220, not 110. Did you bring a converter?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM

My sisters and I were on the Spirit a couple of years ago. We also had read the mixed reviews. We were so pleasantly surprised! She is a beautiful ship. The cabins were nice (we had a Balcony and one inside room) The crew was friendly and very helpful. We saw a great show. The food was very, very good. We had a great time. I'm sure you will too. Sorry but I don't recall using any equipment as far as outlets etc.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

There are both 110 and 220 volt receptacles in every cabin. You'll find one 110 volt outlet on the hair dryer in the bathroom, and both voltage outlets at the desk in your cabin. If you're bringing many electrical and electronic devices, I highly suggest bringing a power strip so you can plug more than one device in at a time.
The Spirit has the most beautiful decor of all the ships in the NCL fleet, in my opinion. It's Asian decor, artworks, and carpets are very unique for North American based cruise ships. I've read somewhere that the round carpet in the main atrium cost $4 million. It has far more teak decks than other new built for freestyle NCL ships.
As you should have gathered by now, I really like the Spirit. But it does have a few short comings. There are no mini suites, nor many cabins that can accommodate four passengers. There are no refrigerators in standard cabins, you'll find them only in suites. But they will refill the ice in the ice bucket twice a day. There's no self service laundries aboard, just a ship's laundry. There isn't much room by the amidship swimming pool topside for sunning, but there's plenty of room by the aft pool, as well as plenty of shade.
Every ship has compromises in its design. Remember it was designed with built in compromises for the Asian market when you are aboard, and that it has been modified for the North American market. I believe the changes made to it to be able to sail from North America have been successful.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

To add, some helpful tips for the Spirit.

Henry's Pub serves delicious fish & chips during lunch on "at sea" days.
The Biergarten serves brauts and soft pretzels during the afternoons.
There's plenty of shade in the amphitheatre area at the aft end of the ship.
Book your reservations for the speciality restaurants on the first day, before departing the pier. They will book up quickly.
If it's too cold outside, go to the Galaxy of the Stars to watch the NY skyline on departure and arrival.
While there, check out the Bridge Observatory under the Galaxy of the Stars and the Navigation Computer displays.
During your cruise, take a few minutes to walk down the stairways to view some interesting art on display.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I week from tomorrow!! Yahoo!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 AM

WE were on the Spirit 8/5/06 it was our first cruise and we had a great time the freestyle cruising is great especially when traveling with children the kids club was fantastic a great experience all around. In fact we enjoyed it so much we are going again we leave NYC March 18 on the Spirit as well. The staff was great we were very pleased with everything. The only thing i am not looking forward to is the cold weather we will be leaving from im afraid it will be too cold to fully enjoy all the outdoor amenities the ship has to offer. There is so much to do while on the ship you may never want to leave. Have a great cruise!!!!

Closed Thread