Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 AM

A woman is missing and reportedly overboard from the Norwegian Pearl near Cancun. Read about it here.

Sandy
Old 12-26-2008, 01:47 PM

Not a happy Christmas. I hope they find her.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I still do not understand how someone can FALL from a cruise ship!
They can jump, be pushed etc
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Or can climb over a balcony trying to get to another stateroom, or be drunk, etc etc. Too many sad things that happen like this. Notice the report was 3:50am. Hate to assume, but it sure was the booze time of the night.
Nov. 2006- Carnival Paradise
Apr 2007- Celebrity Century
June 2007- Carnival Paradise
November 2007- Carnival Paradise
March 2008- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
June 2008- Holland America Oosterdam (Alaska)
August 2008, Carnival Victory (Canada)
October, 2008 Carnival Paradise (Mexico)
November 2008, Carnival Imagination, Key West/Cozumel
February 2009, Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
April 2009, Carnival Victory (S.Caribbean)
Coming Soon- June 2009, HAL Eurodam (Northern Europe)
Coming Soon- Nov.2009 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Let's refrain from making any assumptions in this case. This is sad news, indeed, and my thoughts are with her loved ones.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

The NCL Pearl is a state-of-the-art cruise ship, with lots of high tech security. I am quite sure that after the details are sorted out, NCL will have video survillence of exactly what happened and the exact time of the incident. They have security cameras everywhere, in the hallways, outside decks, and views from the sides of the ship. They also have top notch security personel.

Most of all....let's hope they find the lady, and that she is safe. It's difficult to speculate what hapenned abroad this ship, and what went on.

As with any investigation, time will ultimately tell what happened.

This is not an isolated case, many cruise passengers have went overboard in the past 3 years. Some have actually survived. Let's hope this may be the case.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I just recently returned from a cruise onboard the Norwegian Pearl (from Dec.7th-14th).

I have already expressed my opinions about the ship in previous posts. I focused on the dissapointments or negative aspects of the cruise.

There were positive aspects which I did not mention. One big positive about the Norwegian Pearl in my opinion, was the security. I felt that the security was probably the best I have seen on all the cruises I have been on. There were survelance cameras everywhere. I had an issue with my safe at the start of the cruise, and one of the ship's security officers (who are responsible for the safes) were there in minutes.

In addition, it seemed that they were very strict in protecting the health of all onboard the Pearl. In public places throughout the ship, there were these alcohol-gel dispense machines. You would pass your hand under it and a sensor would detect your hand and squirt some of the gel. In addition, at the entrance of the ship and the entrance to the dinning places, there was a crew member with a spray bottle waiting to spray your hands with disinfectant.

Also, during the cruise, I did see crew members participating in various safety drills. Usually while in a port of call, when most of the passengers were ashore.

IMHO, health and safety was something I did not think or worry about while on my Pearl cruise. I would reccomend the Pearl and the other NCL ships (who pratice the same health and safety measures), for people who are afraid to go on a cruise because they hear sensationalized news stories about people being attacked, robbed, or becoming very ill during a cruise. Or more recently, falling overboard during the cruise. I felt that all of those things were least likely to occur during my Pearl cruise, and maybe all other NCL cruise ships.

I was very surprised to hear about this recent story of the young lady falling overboard on the N. Pearl. It seems to fly in the face of all the security I witnessed while onboad the Pearl.

Unfortunately, despite everything and all the best efforts of the cruiseline, cruiseship, and crew members, things like this happen. However, it would not stop me or even make me think twice about going on another cruise. I believe strongly that cruising is one of the safest forms of travel and vacation.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 AM
I've been on the Pearl and will be on her again in 23 days....Yes there are many cameras all around the ship....so, hopefully they will find out just what did happen....and as most of know, you just can't fall overboard....you have to be doing something very stupid or you had some help......Happy and Safe Cruising to Everyone...

Bob E
Old 12-27-2008, 05:43 PM

Has anyone read or heard any news updates?

Dwayne
Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM

As of the 10pm news, she has not been found.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
cameras, carnival, cruise, falls, ill, incident, lady, ncl, overboard, passenger, pearl, reviews, security, sensors, ship