Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 04:33 PM

Thinking of a cruise (Philly to Bermuda) aboard the Norwegian Crown, and I have a few questions. I've never taken a cruise, so please forgive my ignorance. I am confused about the price difference among the different categories (H, HH, I, etc.) for "Oceanview" cabins.

The NCL website shows different prices for "Oceanview" cabins, but I am wondering what the differences are, if any, between Oceanview cabins.

What are the cabins with portholes like- are they tiny? Do the portholes open for air? The NCL website says "portholes", plural- do these cabins have 1 or 2 portholes?

What about cabins with windows instead of ports? Are these cabins larger than the cabins with ports? Do these have larger toilet facilities than the "porthole" cabins? Do these (or any) windows open?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:33 PM

Thinking of a cruise (Philly to Bermuda) aboard the Norwegian Crown, and I have a few questions. I've never taken a cruise, so please forgive my ignorance. I am confused about the price difference among the different categories (H, HH, I, etc.) for "Oceanview" cabins.

The NCL website shows different prices for "Oceanview" cabins, but I am wondering what the differences are, if any, between Oceanview cabins.

What are the cabins with portholes like- are they tiny? Do the portholes open for air? The NCL website says "portholes", plural- do these cabins have 1 or 2 portholes?

What about cabins with windows instead of ports? Are these cabins larger than the cabins with ports? Do these have larger toilet facilities than the "porthole" cabins? Do these (or any) windows open?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 PM

Most of the cabins on the Crown are the same size and the difference between porthole and window is that cabins with portholes have two small round windows you can see out of. Windowed cabins have much larger windows to take in the views.

The bathrooms are all the same until you get into much higher in categories, and even then they are not that different.

On a Bermuda cruise, having a window to take in the views is really irrelevant because all you will see is the open ocean on the way there and on the way back. When you dock, there is not much to see, so I would go for the lower price and then spend the saved money on having fun in Bermuda. I am sure someone else will have a different perspective.

Have a great cruise.

Tom
Old 01-27-2005, 09:06 PM

Bob, on most large cruise ships, including the Norwegian Crown, the windows don't open. The ship is airconditioned, however, and unless you are severely claustrophic, you won't feel a need for extra air.

Have a great cruise!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 PM

I forgot to mention that the different categories of cabin are often determined by their location on the ship. Those in the middle of the ship, front to back, are ranked higher (and cost more) than those at the bow or stern (front or back, respectively.)
Old 01-27-2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks for your advice to this newcomer. This cruise would be an anniversary gift to my wife; one of her dreams is to meet the ship's captain at a party, dinner, etc. I read on the NCL website that if you are a "Latitudes" member, you are invited to attend a cocktail party with the Captain. As I understand it, you can only become a "Latitudes" member if you are a repeat cruiser. Is there any opportunity to attend such an event for first-time cruisers aboard the Norwegian Crown?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:34 AM

Ummmm, They will send invitations to Latitudes members a day or so before the party, but they rarely collect them at the door (well, some lines do). I would just arrive at the party with the rest of the members, making sure I attached myself to a larger group of people and simply walk right in. If for any reason you are stopped by anyone, just tell them you left your invitation in your cabin. The normally will not tell you to go get it.

If they do, just hightail it outta there.

Don't tell anyone that I told you though, OK?

Have a GREAT cruise.

Tom
Old 05-07-2005, 09:23 AM

Hi Bob,
I would just go to reception and ask the ladies there for advise. Just be nice and tell them about your situation and that it would really mean a lot to you and your wife to attend the Latitudes party! Most probably they will give you an invitation... otherwise just check with the Port & Cruise Consultant. I know that they do collect the invitations at the door, so I think itīs better to ask in advance. However, even if you shouldnīt get the chance to attend the Latitudes Party, there is always a Captainīs party for all guests where you can talk to the Captain and take photos with him! :-)

One more advice: Just be nice to the people onboard and they will be more than happy to help you! Itīs mostly the friendly people that get what they really want! ;-)

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, cabins, crown, cruise, norwegian, ocean, open, portholes, princess, ship, size, stateroom, staterooms, view, windows